Fake profile of guest.

Ritugandha0
Level 3
New Jersey, United States

Fake profile of guest.

Here I am sharing my hosting experience, I currently have a guest staying at my 2 room condo for a week. My listing is pretty basic and cheap and occasionally when I don’t have my family member staying with me then I host Airbnb guest. My listing is very clear and contains all the information all up to date. 
So talking about the guest I have, haves an Airbnb profile picture as a group photo and it’s hard to recognize that it’s her, also her profile says she is from DC which she disagreed upon confirming. And I kind of figured out she told me few details about date and time and purpose which were all blatant lies. She altered her reservation for 3 times before arriving. From the moment she arrived she demanded for tea, laundry, use common area etc all of which is not a part of my listing. Then she doubted me saying the towels and linens were not washed. I took everything and as a good host answered her humbly with a smile on face and also shared home cooked meal with her. 
It got more annoying when she started disturbing me during my meetings. I work from home these days as a full time Sr. Environmental engineer. My meetings were put on hold and pause to request her to stay quite. Then further it carried on by she staying awake till 3am and being noisy which made me have sleepless night. Upon all these I contacted Airbnb support and asked for a solution. So I asked her if she wants to cancel the booking if it’s not fulfilling her demands and want to look for another listing, trust me! I was intimidated by her aggressive approach in this. Ultimately I decided to stay calm and avoid any interaction with her. 
The main point of discussion is, when a race card was thrown at me. To be clear my guest started up an conversation about being from immigrant family and color. (I do not intend to discriminate or hurt any sentiment here). I am a brown lady, residing in the United States. Airbnb has always been my first choice when I travel domestically or internationally. Because of that I have met many people of different race and i feel good to know different culture. But this week when my guest started a conversation about discrimination i was little worried to extend the chat or what it might result into.
Folks please let me know your suggestions how to tackle such conversations. Also when you have demanding and disturbing guest can Airbnb step in and ask that guest to maintain some peace?

33 Replies 33

@Ritugandha0 

Glad to hear she is gone 🙂

Maybe I am wrong but I suppose Airbnb called her and told her they can cancel her stay and refund the nights non spent.

Many guests don't know they can be refunded if they shorten their stay so when I have unhappy guests then I give them this information and they usually accept it.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Clara116 Really like the idea of having Airbnb ask the Guest to leave. Will they do that?

Ritugandha0
Level 3

In my case, after being openly threatened by the guest I immediately contacted the Airbnb emergency helpline and the people at help center were really quick with their response. I could easily stand any any argument or a bitter conversation on an usual basis. But being threatened openly with some heavy words for almost no reason was scary to take.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Ritugandha0 I can imagine it must have been very scary. Well done you for asserting yourself. Am so glad that you are safe now and will lock up.

Did Airbnb agent get back to you? Was it as a result of them speaking to your guest that she left?

Ritugandha0
Level 3

@Mary996  The Airbnb agent responded back immediately as it was a matter of safety. And I am unsure if she left voluntarily or was been asked to leave by Airbnb.
To explain the situation in brief, I was really petrified so I went in my car and explained the situation to Airbnb agent at 10pm. I told them exactly the conversation took place between my guest and me and the series of incidents. Airbnb agents were really concerned about my safety and they suggested me few options concerning my safety which was really a great help at that very moment and time of a day. And finally when I locked myself in my bedroom after getting done with phone calls I heard the main door lock and I come out to find the guest has already left (waiting for her cab) without informing me.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Phew! I'm so relieved for you @Ritugandha0 .

So now you'll be winding down from this stress. Am sure that you have felt the weight of our support and that that will have been helpful. Perhaps a nice bath and scented candles around the house will help you to reclaim the space. Hope you can see a friendly face, have a laugh and relax; but if not and you're alone please feel free to continue this conversation. The thread will remain open and please call on any of us for further reassurance. Thinking of you and sending blessings x

Yep I had 3 guests in a row that were so far out of line, and basically we as homeowners have zero rights, no one to back us up so we quit. 

@Lorraine132 I feel you. It’s the worst feeling when you start feeling unsafe at your own house. So the quitting is only option and I shall do the same. 

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

To @Lorraine132 and @Ritugandha0 

Please don't give up. Lets first see this through till all the issues are corrected, then, when you're feeling clearer make the decision then? Meanwhile blocking your calendar until you feel more composed might be a good idea??

I am so proud of the response from my colleagues here. Am feeling the sisterhood .... (and the brotherhood)!!

How can we back you up Lorraine? What do you need? @Ritugandha0 is it ok to share the thread with @Lorraine132 as normally, I believe, we ask for a new thread to be started (I am newish to helping on these boards and am very grateful for guidance from those more experienced) but perhaps this is good mutual support for you both?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

They will if you have evidence your guest has broken your house rules or is violent or making you feel unsafe.  @Mary996 

However you as the business owner are the one who needs to enforce the eviction, unless the guest leaves voluntarily as in @Ritugandha0 's case.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Ritugandha0 so glad you have her out of your home and you are safe. 

So sorry you had to experience all that and as Sarah says your home and you must be respected. Make sure to block her possible calls or any communication. Also any door codes delete.  Let Airbnb take over anything. Get some rest and be safe. 

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Ritugandha0 

You're not the only one. You've company.
I met hundred of the guest like' her,' impolite, thoughtless, and arrogant.

What should I do?

How do I politely let Airbnb guests know they're disgusting and inconsiderate? Communication may work but helpless.

My listing in Airbnb is a dormitory shared room, shared space with other travellers.

First of all, the guest requests a change date, and I'll decline.
The guest arrives for check-in with an impolite attitude and against my house rules. I surely contact the CS to cancel the reservation immediately.
I can't tolerate the guest in a shared space with bad behaviours because of other guest's convenience. I‘ll not recommend the guest to continue to stay in my place.

I remember once times, the 'superb rep' doesn't accept my cancellation request, disagree with my decision, and 'the guest is always right.'

How do I fix this?
I proposed upgrading the guest to a private studio in other locations and advising the guest to leave the shared space. Or else I have no choice to contact the local enforcement.

It is not ok, to continue sharing the place with such a behaviour person and getting into trouble.

The last part, flag the guest profile, block the guest, leave a comment and warn another host.

By night, Airbnb special announcement 

‘....now, a new guest on Airbnb will be able to go from signing up to confirming a reservation in just 60 seconds."

What could be more going wrong with these new features?

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/On-May-24-Airbnb-will-be-announcing-its-most-comprehensive/...

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Wow Dale that's a really assertive, uncompromising and appropriate stance! Well done. No **bleep** footing..... Fantastic.

Ritugandha0
Level 3

@Dale711 I truly appreciate your approach and that’s very smart of you to get the indications timely. I have got me lesson and understood to be careful next time onwards. 

Ritugandha0
Level 3

I truly appreciate everyone responding on this post and sharing their experiences. It’s like an extended support. 
I want to update you all with new thing happening with me, after reporting the Airbnb safety department and guest leaving the apartment that wasn’t the end of story. I had to clean the used sanitary napkins from the bathroom and bedroom and much more crap to tell but I won’t go with details. 

Then Monday morning I get up to see some random person sending me a inquiry message on my Instagram private account ( via direct message request ). The message was about asking if I host Airbnb guest and some one from my name is inquiring about Jen. 
I followed up with Airbnb on this and it’s another fraudulent activity happening. Finally I have decided to report this at local authority. But getting stalked at social media and people looking for me virtually is mental harassment.

Folks I really need some advice and suggestion here. Thank you.