Fake request?

Ruth-and-Allan0
Level 1
Plettenberg Bay, South Africa

Fake request?

Today we received a fake bookiing request from an individual stating that she was in fact not wanting to book accommodation, but wanting to market her services.  We had to decline this so called "booking"  as a potential booking or we would have lost our status with AirBnB.  We have asked Air BnB to look into screening booking requests and to consider blocking fake requests.

22 Replies 22

@Marjorie117 That's really all that can be done. 20 a day is crazy: I get a few a year.

Christian-Og-Heidi0
Level 1
Copenhagen, Denmark

We just got two in one day. I just don’t get what these people get out of it? Does anyone know?

Ivailo4
Level 1
Sozopol, BG

We have 15 fake inquiries in two days. Today we received one again.  Each and every one reported. We wrote to the Airbnb support. They said to continue reporting. I am not satisfied with such answer. We spend a lot of time dealing with fake registrations. I think Airbnb should do something to filter them. 

Daniele305
Level 2
Darmstadt, Germany

Dear all, I have received the following message, is it a scam? What shall I do? “Greetings Daniele! I am Andrey. Soon I'm having a business trip to Germany and intended to book your apartment that you have listed on Airbnb. However, there is one sensitive issue I'd like to discuss personally. I have a plan to stay at my friend's home once I'm there and not to check into your apartment at all. Here's my proporsal. Book your apartment, never move in and just share the rental fee. Does it sound like a plan to you? If you like my plan as much as I do, please get back to me as soon as you can. Text me in whattsap. This is my numbra pluuzs sevvenn niinnee ssiiix oonnee nniinee tthhree sevven onnne sevven siiix oonnnee. Thank you for attention.

@Daniele305  Yes, it is a total scam. It's a stolen credit card scheme. Do not engage with this person at all. Report the inquiry, report the account it came from and then ignore it.

I had that happen. A local "request to book" that turned out she wanted me to hire her (or recommend her) to clean houses. I told her that using request to book was inappropriate. Didn't know I could flag her. I'm sure she thought she was being innovative. But those messages are as obnoxious as the "we want to buy your home for cash" spam calls starting to come during the pandemic.

Leanne196
Level 2
Le Havre, France

I just put my first listing live last night and have had 2 instant bookings and 3 requests for long term bookings already. The long term bookings concern me. Two of them are from the US and don't seem to have legitimate reasons to come all the way to the UK. With the Covid restrictions I'm not even sure it's possible. I have had conversations asking them what they want to see and do etc and get vague responses. They have no existing reviews. I don't understand the intention behind it. What is it they want exactly? What will happen if they are scammers and I accept the bookings? 

@Leanne196  I would strongly encourage new hosts not to use Instant Book and to communicate with all your guests before deciding whether to accept their booking, and also not to accept any long-term stays. Set a one week to 2 week maximum until you get more experienced with hosting and vetting guests.

And vague answers to specific questions are definitely red flags.

Scamming guests target new hosts- you will have to be on high alert. 

Make sure you are charging enough so you don't just get guests who are looking for the cheapest place.