False review

Izabela8
Level 1
Sofia, Bulgaria

False review

Hello, everyone, I am so outraged and dissapointed by my expirience in Ittigen, Switzerland. At first glance everything was fine: the location was a little bit far from Bern, but it was easily reachable with public transport, we did not have problem with the self check-in, the apartment looked big and nicely furnished, but after that the problems began. For all of the beds there were no bottom bed sheets (only mattress protectors) and for one of the beds there were only bed cover without top sheet, instead of a blanket. The first night there was no wi-fi, because the specified one in the itinerary was wrong (the next day we contacted him and he send us the correct one). Not to mention that there were no 5 clean towels as described (only three dirty ones hanging in the bathroom), there was spoiled food in some of the kitchen drawers, dust all over the place, full bathroom trash bins and generally the place was really dirty. The next day, when I wrote him about the listed above, hi told me that the lady from the cleaning company forgot about the bottom sheets and that we could find the in the third locked room. We found the sheets there, but they where dirty and inside of the laundry basket. It is unnecessary to explain that we didn't use them. About the blanket, he tried to convince us that this is not a bed cover, but a modern lightweight summer cover, which didn't need sheet (but it was simple synthetic bed cover). We started huge discussion about the problems, but nothing really changed, only our experience there was ruined, we got angry and disappointment and we left with really bad taste in our mouths from there.

And I tought that the story ends here, we had bad expirience, we were disapointed, but nothing that big happened. Unfortunately, I recieved this absolutely false review from the host:

"A guest to avoid at all costs: they were very disrespectful of the apartment and left it in dirty conditions. Before their arrival, the apartment was professionally cleaned and freshly washed sheets and covers were provided. However, Izabella and her friends were ungrateful for all that and did not acknowledge it. They caused lots of stress for us as hosts which left us in stress during our vacation worrying about our apartment."

But that's opposite to what really happened, as I described above, the apartment was in this condition, before our arrival and I made photos of everything - the dirty floor, full toilet trash bins, the huge layer of dust everywhere, the dirty bedsheets, the bed cover, which was given to us, the missing lower bed sheets - everything. This is unacceptable, I have all our discussions documented in Airbnb messages.

In private message he accused me for lying. This is unacceptable, why would I ruin my whole vacation to falsly accuse the host, falsly demand something, if we really have been provided with it and claim that it was dirty if it was clean?! I just was on my vacation wanting to have a nice expirience. I didn't want refund, I didn't want compensation, nothing. Just what I have paid for - clean apartment, fresh sheets and towels. And in return I recieve this outrageous review! We have left the apartment just the way it was, it was in dirty conditions BEFORE we got there and I have taken pictures of it. Not that our vacation was ruined, but after that I receive THIS review, which is absolutely incorrect. I have no words to express how dissapointed and frustrated I feel right now.

It is not correct and fare for me to recieve this lying review, I always have given my best to respect and leave the apartments, in which I have been clean, as much as I can (which can be seen from my other reviews). Is it possible the case to be examined by third side - airbnb and this false review to be removed from my account?

Thank you,

Bella

45 Replies 45
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Negative reviews whether by host or guest cannot be removed unless there is a violation of Air BNB Content Policy, @Izabela8.  However, you can post a public response to the review if you wish, but all your positive reviews will be better in counter-acting this one negative one.

I understand it is disturbing to see a  public statement that you feel is false on top of being dissatisfied with the place you stayed.  

we had the same issue and i think there should be a procedure to have a review removed if it is false in our case we left the place spotless although we did complain directly and the host then left a false review saying we left the place dirty. We even took photos of how spotless the place was becuase i had a feeling he would do this due to his attitude when we mentinoned to him our issues.

The fact that air bandb do not at all review these bad reviews if asked to is wrong and really puts me off using it

I agree completely with this, because airbnb says reviews are important. It should be resolved if someone is lying 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Izabela8

Sorry you had this experience. However Airbnb clearly tells you that if the accommodation is not as described and the host is unwilling to address these issues that you should report it to them within 24 hours and they will look at cancelling the booking, giving you an additional 10% credit and helping you find alternative accommodation.

Why didn't you do this , rather than staying in the conditions you describe.

About the review. Hopefully you were in touch with Airbnb during your stay so they will have a record of all the issues you mention, plus you will have recorded these in conversations with your host via Airbnb messaging.

Ask them to review these and consider cancelling the host revew as it is clearly untruthful,

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Best not to  allow a bad situation to escalate, and then expect a third party (Airbnb) to solve a bigger issue. If the place was that 'unacceptable', because of things that were obvious within a few hours after arrival, why would you stay and continue to accept it after the first day?

Claire388
Level 2
Cambridge, MA

False review violates Airbnb policy. Defamation review is against the law. If it is a false review or defamation, you have the right to request Airbnb and the guest to remove it, and you also have the right to sue the person who generated a defamation review and the website who distributed the defamation review. Airbnb hosts and guests have the right to protect their reputation and business from the demages of false review or defamation. Airbnb case managers shall be educated about the harm and how to handle false review and defamation. The honest and friendly environment of Airbnb is maintained by every host and guest. We should not allow false reviews, which could be made by a guest or a host with bad intention, stay in Airbnb.

I tried this with airbnb case manager and they said the review is opinion based and can not remove the review as it's the guests opinions in the review. If you have successfully gotten a review removed please reach out to me 

Karen1183
Level 2
California, United States

Hi Claire, Because I wrote my remarks in private section of my guests' review (they woke me up at 1:40 AM drinking and yelling), I was given a false review by the guest stating it was unclean (all 23 previous reviews said spotless). They found fault in everything, but it makes me look horrible. The guests gave me 2 stars on cleanliness, now no one booking. No photos no messgaes from them to prove this "unclean and unsanitary" mess they claim, and they stayed two nights (woke me up the first night and i documented it in the message to them about the noise after 1:30 AM). Airbnb wont remove it!

Help-what can I do?!

You have a lovely studio, @Karen1183 and I can imagine that with so many positive reviews, this negative one caught you off guard.  While it was negative, it did hightlight some positive aspects as well.  However from your perspective, it is untrue, so your response is quite defensive and very negative which is can be off-putting to potential guests.  Whether this has anything to do with a drop in reservations I do not know.  Since the response to a review is seen by potential guests, it should be an opportunity to demonstrate what a great host you are not be a rant against the guest. 

Nice post, Claire. But let's remove pink sunglasses. Airbnb does absolutely nothing about false reviews especially if they are written by guests. And their so called "case managers" are absolutely useless. 

I couldn't agree more. I have also received a dishonest review, that is also defamatory. My only communication with the guest was through airbnb messaging, so all is visible. Yet still they will not remove the review.

I had understood under the First Amendment, a reviewer's opinions are protected speech, but false statements of fact are not. 

I agree 100 percent with this.  Case managers are absolutely useless regarding false reviews, even in the case of guests that have received sanctions because of rules violations like parties.   

Hi Claire, I am aware that this is a very old comment. But where can I find the information that a false review is in violation of Airbnb policies? I have requested to remove a false review a guest left after she violates my house rules and threw a big party during COVID-19 lockdown, however I am repeatedly told there is nothing they will do to help me because the polic ones haven’t been violated. 
I’m wondering if you could help ?

@Terrence28All the info on the content policy can be found at https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/2673/airbnbs-review-policy

I would encourage you to respond to your guest's review, letting potential new guests know your side of the story. That way, even if you don't manage to have it taken down, others have a fuller picture of what happened. Be calm and professional in your response: if you want some more eyes on it before you post it, there are lots of helpful hosts here.