Falsely accused by guest for having a recording device

Simon144
Level 3
San Diego, CA

Falsely accused by guest for having a recording device

Last Tuesday my account was suspended because a previous guest falsely accused me of having recording devices.  (We don't nor ever had  any in the building).  As a result, I couldn't get any new bookings, make changes to pricing, make rooms available that were previously blocked, etc.  Rather than letting me know what the issue was, Airbnb kept me in the dark for three days while the conducted an "investigation'.  WTF?

Today, the case manager wrote back and said they weren't able to substantiate the guest's false claims and simply reactivated my account.  I F*'ng pissed.  This policy does not make any sense.  We as hosts are guilty (and have to pay) until being proven innocent?  The guest should be liable for my missed bookings.  Is Airbnb going to pay? Of course not.  It's been a long, tough year for the hosts and I hope they do the right thing.

Looking to see if anyone has experienced anything like this? Are there any petitions out there that I can join regarding unfair treatment of guests?

Thanks,

S

10 Replies 10
Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Simon144 I'm so very sorry this happened to you. It really is quite amazing that Airbnb's supposedly 'valued' hosts are guilty until proven innocent. At least your listing was reinstated within three days. Some people wait weeks, and others are simply "disappeared," never to be seen or heard from again...

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Salut @Simon14,

It frequently happened in the platform, the act are definitely unfair to you and other hosts.

Perhaps, you can consider to open a new case in SC to report the guest falsely accused you and write the hornets review of the guest to warn others host. 

JR1
Level 2
Memphis, TN

Interestingly, Airbnb is blocking me from commenting on this conversation. I DEFINITELY have thoughts that I could like to share with the community.

JR1
Level 2
Memphis, TN

This exact same thing happened to me. Airbnb claims someone reported a recording device, and Airbnb unilaterally suspended my account and ALL listings at 4 am on a Sunday morning. I confirmed I have no recording devices, but "Tom" said I still had to confirm in my listings that there were no recording devices.

Even after doing so, my account remains suspended, and "Tom" has now become complete non-responsive. I'm now on day 5 of my account being suspended, and any attempts to get Airbnb to assist in unsuspending my account and reactivating my listings are immediately closed, stating that only "Tom" and his department can resolve the situation.

This is embarrassing for Airbnb, and really seems to demonstrate just how much they truly value us as (super)hosts. I'm at least going to begin co-listing my properties on other platforms, as clearly I can't trust Airbnb to do the right thing, and I'm now out thousands of dollars in lost booking (and counting...). It's ridiculous, and Airbnb should be ashamed. I thought they were better than this.

-J.R.

@JR1  Make sure to make a note off-site of confirmed guests' phone numbers, so you can still get in touch with them if and when Airbnb pulls these shenanigans. You could contact them and let them know they could still stay, and book directly with you.

Thanks @Sarah977 !

The sad reality seems to be that until we take our business to other platforms (VRBO, etc.), they're not likely to take us seriously and treat us fairly.

"Made Possible by Hosts" appears to just be a tagline, not a true mantra.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Simon144 guests often say this in retaliation for being caught out breaking a rule.

We do have recording devices (disclosed) on our property but not in any interior space. We have caught a few guests bringing extra people to host events which is strictly not allowed. Its never a good idea to say "you were caught on camera" as the guest will immediately file a claim with Airbnb about recording devices and your listing will be shuttered. We always say "neighbors reported." 

But yes, despite the fact that hosts CAN have cameras in exterior spaces and guests AGREE that they understand these cameras are there when they book, this is an easy way for a guest to cry wolf and disrupt a host's livelihood. Its shameful that Airbnb doesn't have a more reasonable protocol for dealing with these claims.

Nicole795
Level 2
Ferndale, MI

It's happened to me... I got an email from AirBNB customer support this morning stating a guest has reported they found non-disclosed cameras on my property. I don't even have a doorbell camera or any exterior or interior cameras and can't even wrack my brain around what could be confused as a camera. AirBNB has "limited" my listing until they can conduct the investigation. It says they will call me tomorrow. I tried calling the general line, but there wasn't much she could do aside from document what I said in the case.

She told me it was reported from a guest on February 28th. The thing is, I haven't had any issues with guests lately. No one has reported issues or had complaints. No one has tried to get a refund. I am super confused and hoping this misunderstanding doesn't become a permanent issue. 

Has anyone else gone through this? What is the best course of action to get my listing back up asap?

K145
Level 1
Dallas, TX

Exact thing just happened to me.  The guest didn't even stay one night on a 2 night reservation.  Made a false accusation.  left me in the dark for 48 hours blocked my account.   it was maddening.   They wanted their money back.  What a way to do this.   The ambassadors are worthless at investigating these claims.   I wasn't even at the property when he made the false accusation.   GO TO VRBO or other platforms. 

Are you back up?