Family Collection

Dassi0
Level 5
Greensboro, NC

Family Collection

Does anyone understand why a listing must allow guests to use the kitchen to be Family rated?

We cook a full breakfast, have snacks 24 hours, and will prepare other meals for any guest that wants one (extra meals do have a charge). 

Health Codes prevent guests from using the kitchen. 

We even stock specialty items just for kids!  

36 Replies 36
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

From a common-sense perspective, @Dassi0, I would assume that a family needs a kitchen.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

As a person that traveled extensively with children, I disagree. 

A family needs to have healthy meals available, but they do not have to cook!

We pamper families. We even have homemade, organic babyfood. 

From a common-sense perspective @Dassi0 @Marzena4 if family needs access to kitchen then B&B , hotels and motels can't be family rated 🙂

@Branka-and-Silvia0 The real question is: “why is having kitchen access required for Family Collection?”  

I think that should be an additional option within a search, not a requirement for every venue. 

So if my kitchen is a set of tables, tubs and a fire pit at my tipi camp, does that count? and if I prefer not to have wifi and a tv set up at my tipi camp because my clients, mostly families, want to get away from this, does these family collection requirements make sense? I believe these should be options to select in choosing a site for your family, not pre-cluded. It is unfortunate. I will be loosing clientelle by this system. 

@Maria114 families are free to choose whatever criteria they want when they search for a place to stay. There is nothing that would prevent a family who wants to stay in your place from finding your listing and making a reservation with you.

I have a feeling that guests that want to stay in your terrific listing won't be searching using the Family collection anyway. 

Just read your post about family collection. I am in the same situation with my gypsy caravans. It really winds me up.  Who are Air bnb to decide if our spaces are family friendly or not.  Have you managed to find a way around this?  I am considering saying I have all the things and then telling people when before they book that actually I don't.  They can then decide for themselves. Hope you have a better idea.

Thanks for the feedback. 

That at may work for you, but not me. 

Use of kitchen is a big item— some really want it, others could care less, and many are thrilled that we cook for them. 

We averaged 70% full for 12 months, without the Family label. 

So, we must be grateful 

@Emily56  if you state that you provide certain amenities and access to kitchen, etc in your lisitng info, you can't then tell guests you don't provide them. Eventually enough guests will report you for this that Airbnb will suspend or delist you.

Greetings from Malta!  Can anybody help me on how to set my listing to join the family collection please? Can't seem to find it anywhere... Thank you! Fox

@ Fox Daniels It's supposed to be automatic. It was for me with the PRO collection. I asked airbnb why my listing is not in the family collection as i'm 100% i meet all the requirements; no answer yet, they're overwhelmed with questions right now, but if they get back to me i will let you know. They did told me via twitter that it was automatic for listings meeting the criterias and 100% effective since february 22.
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Dassi0 That was my opinion as a mother of now grown-ups - some hot water, something into the fridge, some cold water, some herb brewing... Who knows what else. Maybe Airbnb and me mysteriously agree on it at this point.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

@Marzena4  We offer everything you mentioned and more. 

We will prepare it all for you:  homemade baby-food, kid friendly foods, specialty foods (for allergies & special diets), a large variety of food — so that every member of the family is pampered.  

Plus we have games, toys, art supplies, directions to (coupons for) local family oriented attractions. 

We serve all families, whatever the configuration. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

one more thing @Marzena4 @Dassi0...  to enter in family collection we have to host babies and children. 

We hosted numerous families without kids but from a Airbnb perspective they are , obviously, not families .