Family collection is unavailable for this listing at this time.

Jiw0
Level 10
Chiang Mai, Thailand

Family collection is unavailable for this listing at this time.

I've seen another recent topic about a listing not being eligible for the Family Collection.  In the new 'Opportunties' menu it'll show exactly why a listing is or isn't eligible, comparing the requirements to your listing's settings and then let you know what to do to qualify. All good.

One of my listings however doesn't show any score or progress, it just shows that it's 'unvailable for hits listing at this time'. There is a link but that leads to general information about how to qualify: all things that the listing already has.

I did a screen shot; does anyone know if this is a glitch?  (It looks like it is, as the goal of this page is to clearly explain to hosts how they're doing in becoming part of this collection.  It does so for my other listings, but here there is just this message which doesn't indicate any next steps or what to do.)

Capture.JPG

1 Reply 1
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

My theory on this comes because I happened to be looking at reviews the day before the big announcement about collections and plus, @Jiw0.

The theory: Collections are based on what guests (inadvertently for the most part) said at booking, and not on what you advertise. 

The "research": On that day or two before the announcement, reviews on all listings were not chronological nor were they by country. For that brief moment in time they were grouped by "Family Trip" and "Work Trip". Weird, I thought, but as a guest, I remembered being asked, upon booking, what my trips were for. The two possible selections were Family and Work.  

I noticed I had three "Family Trips" booked here, even though I have "not suitable for ages 0-12" ticked on my treehouse listing. Those three were a Girl Guide leader with her teenage charges, and two couples. Obviously in all three cases they thought, "Well, it is not work, so I guess it is family." 

My treehouse is now being courted for the Family Collection in Progress. All I have to do, says the opportunities chart, is update my house rules to allow children, and then add famility amenities. Among the things I am "doing well" are three five-star reviews from families. 

The room I sometimes list in the main house is much safer for toddlers - no river-with-strong-current, no 10-ft platform, no woods, no coyotes. But Family Collection is unavailable for it, as it is unavailable for yours. No one has ever booked it for a "family trip" so it is not being considered.

All you need, I think, to be considered, is to have two groups select "Family Trip" at the time they book (and then have them give you five stars). If you are keen on being part of the family collection, I suppose you could add something in the description to say "If you are booking as a family, please select 'Family Trip' as the reason for your trip."

Or you could just do as I do and make your place super dangerous.

It is not us who decides whether we are suitable for families. It is guests who are just clicking things to try to get the booking made.