Feature Request: Filter and sort by TOTAL price—including fees

Cassandra176
Level 10
Richmond, VA

Feature Request: Filter and sort by TOTAL price—including fees

Feature request: please allow users to filter by TOTAL price —and— sort by TOTAL price. Also, you need to display the total price in the app as well as on the desktop searches. With fees varying so much, the listed price ends up meaning NOTHING anyway.

Recent True Life Example: I filter for a rate under $100 a night but many listings have fees that double or triple the total price. By using the price range feature I've unknowingly filtered out a stay with a nightly rate higher than $100 but no fees that would end up costing much less overall than others that are listed within my "price range." 

Obviously, this feature would be N/A if a person had not yet selected a number of nights. An alternative solution would be to have the fees added to the nightly rate by default, then those fees would be divided up by the number of nights chosen. Because, either way, it would be a much more honest reflection of the cost. 

AIRBNB—If you care about user experience at all, as I've heard from colleagues you do, please make this feature work more FOR users instead of AGAINST them. Also, you're rewarding hosts who try to game the system by setting artificially low rates with high fees and punishing those that are being straightforward with their prices.

Please upvote if you agree.

78 Replies 78
Oleg116
Level 1
Chernogolovka, Russia

voting for this feature

Daniel8844
Level 2
Santa Barbara, CA

Without this feature, the site is in so incredibly tedious to me, that I will probably stay in a hotel instead.

Feels like in constantly getting scammed using this app. The internet was built by intelligent nerds, but it's being taken over by marketing strategists. No thank you.

Kris3455
Level 1
North Salem, NY

i've seen quite a few cleaning fees that cost more than the rental itself. what is the point of being able to filter by price if it is not accurate to the total cost of the stay? hosts could theoretically make their listings very cheap so that they show up on everyone's filtered searches but then set the cleaning fee very high to make up for the cost. also why would the end user even care about the price breakdown?Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 5.02.59 PM.png

Gene891
Level 1
Tallahassee, FL

Please oh please oh please oh please!

I've almost stopped using Airbnb going back to motels because not only the cheaper but you know what you're paying when you look for it. Allowing people to set absurdly low prices and then jack up the cleaning fees is only enabling bait and switch. I should not click on an apartment for $35 and then it wants to charge me $182 for the night, I can get a lot of nice motel rooms a lot cheaper than that.. and I know what I'm paying for when I look for it.

Stop letting people try to bait us and then switches to a higher price. I read in the rules that people aren't supposed to set the cleaning fee more than a certain percentage of the price, what is that percentage? 314%?

Just fix it so they can stop gouging us with hidden fees

If only the people in charge of Airbnb user interface knew how much resentment and frustration they generate with hiding the real the price until the user - excited, hopeful, hurried because she is at the side of the road and needs a place quickly - clicks and sees the $120 cleaning fee that was impossible to see before the click. So you click back and search more, only to find another place that might work but again you don't know the real price until you click and again start over. ----- I can see the corporate overlords smirking: 'welcome to capitalism; everyone does it this way.' 

That's when I get angrier. Why am I wasting my time giving feedback to these multi-millionaires in their glass houses in San Francisco who couldn't give a rat's ass about the average guest or host.  The goodwill, all the blabber about sharing and changing the world - that's history.  What counts now is shareholder returns. So I just use the app and say, 'that's capitalism' and go on with my life.

Amen. 

Ryan1835
Level 1
Boston, MA

When is this feature coming? It has to be the #1 feature request of all time. Coming from a Product background, I know this would hurt your conversion rate in the short term, but the frustration it causes from a retention standpoint is insanely high. It makes your site incredibly frustrating.

It’s disgusting to waste consumers’ time exploring listings while Airbnb flagrantly conceals the ACTUAL cost of accommodations, just to lure customers in. When this company’s greed leaves customers feeling burned, they won’t be foolish enough to return—I promise!

You may want to reach out to customer service directly. I received an answer related to clearing ones cache? 

“It's not only the price range that is being affected if you did not clear cache for quite a while, it is the entire search on the site. Keep in mind that each guest will see different results when searching based on the preferences they add, their past booking history, and other search criteria
Let me go ahead and check our site for you using my own account. 

That is just an example photo, just for reference. As you can see price range filter works accurately when browser cache and cookies has been cleared.”
Karyn95
Level 2
Wisconsin, United States

Yes, PLEASE, filter by total price!   by the time fees are added on the price can change sometimes quite dramatically and so much time gets wasted looking through

Kevin2095
Level 1
New Mexico, United States

I have basically given up on Air BnB because of this. It seems to have become a bait and switch game when there is no way to search and select based on average nightly rate including one time fees. 

Shane481
Level 1
Temecula, CA

As a guest (not host). This is irritating as hell. Every place you look at charges **bleep** near the same price for “cleaning fees” as the nightly rate. @Airbnb users don’t care what the break down of the price is. We care about the total price per night. Stop forcing these hosts into a position where they have to “compete” with other hosts by basically “falsifying” their listing and having to shift as much of the listing price into the “cleaning” fee. 

Stop making the app feel **bleep**ty and less efficient for the users.  Solve this by enabling a total price/ night search filter. 

It is disgusting see this intentional hiding of total price.

Hiral4
Level 1
Berkeley, CA

Passed on AirBnB since finding a getaway that fits my budget using the app is a nightmare. 

Instead of going to https://www.airbnb.com , go to https://www.airbnb.com.au

Apparently in Australia, you have to display the full price including the taxes and cleaning fees.