Features you wish Airbnb had?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Features you wish Airbnb had?

I love hosting but there's a few features I wish we had access to on Airbnb.  First on my list is a way to charge for pets. There should definitely be an option to indicate how many pets are coming and a nightly charge. And perhaps a cleaning fee adjustment.

Also a way for hosts to contact other hosts without doing an inquiry. I would like to be able to ask questions if I have them about a guest without seeming as though I'm trying to book their home. This would also help in creating a community of hosts if we had an easier way to communicate with those in our area. 

What changes or new features would you like to see?

57 Replies 57

@Susan1188 I love the idea of being able to turn off IB for selected dates. I no longer take guests over new years because I'm wary about people wanting to party & not reading my listing properly. If I could vet them more thoroughly by turning off IB then that would be great.

Also if the guest doesn't leave a review it should be automatic 5 Star review without comment. We put a lot of effort into our listings and obviously there isn't any issues if the guest doesn't leave a review.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Thank you for asking. I hope Airbnb is interested.

1. Pet fee.

2. Line for cash tip. (Like Uber)

3. Prerecorded (one-click) default  guest review.

4. Ability to change the reservation anytime during the reservation.

5.  For guests who want to exchange listings, a "No extra money" option during the change reservation (currently, must figure all the fees. Very complicated and upsetting to guest if not correct)

@Paul154 wrote:

2. Line for cash tip. (Like Uber)

3. Prerecorded (one-click) default  guest review.

Cash tip - Excellent!  But am I alone thinking this would be a bit weird!

Pre-recorded one click default 5 star "as expected" guest review.  Excellent idea.  Everyone lets promote this.  People can't be bothered anything that proposes a one click solution will work!

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

I’d suggest to put time frame filter so guests will be able to choose the right accommodation and hosts will not need to decline.

Also agree, that information about each guest has to be obligatory included. It will avoid many strange and unpleasant situations. 

May be to make small obligatory deposit for everyone. It will help in case of small issues. 

Special procedure of review in the cases of no show or cancelations of the same day. 

Terri38
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Love this post!
I would like to add this feature: Do not release the property address until everything in the automatic message (the one supposedly sent once a booking has been confirmed!) is answered or acknowledged!!

FYI my automatic message asks for:
1/ Full names of all the party,

2/ Clear profile photo of the guest (head and shoulders, not a dog, not something taken from 100m away etc)

3/ Flight number or estimated arrival time

4/ Do you have any medical conditions that may need urgent treatment (eg diabetes, anaphylaxis) and is any assistance needed to leave the house in the event of an emergency?

5/ Acknowledgement that pets (cat and bird) live in the house.

6/ Acknowledgement that WIFI is not unlimited.

Why do I have these questions?
1. 2 and 3 have been discussed at length on this forum

4/ I have had to deal with the issue of insulin storage in a city-wide blackout (of several days) .

Also, for peanut allergies etc, I can let the guest know what I am able to do to avoid cross-contamination and to pre-warn other guests who will be staying at that time or in the days prior.  That way, the guest with the allergy can make an informed decision to book or not.

5 and 6 should hopefully stop any nasty surprises!

Trevor243
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

I would like the full name and address of the guest. We can get that on Booking.com but not on AirBnB. I think this will help weed out some of the bad guests.

I would like the ability to choose when I can offer the small discounts for near-time unbooked periods. If "next week" is unbooked, AirBnB often pops up a "send 10% discounts for these dates". I would prefer to choose the dates myself, choose the discount amount myself and choose when to send out the discounts.

I would like reviews to be visible to hosts before they get published to everyone. Then we can see if they are being unfair, and we can review them accordingly. Even better would be if there was an option to see the review before it's published and for us to discuss and resolve issues so the guest can change their review before it gets published.

Lauris-and-Gene0
Level 3
Wilmington, NC

Ability to require names, photos and IDs of all guests (without using Instant Booking), space for guest to inform whether arriving by air or driving, space for guest to inform reason for visit, space for guest to verify that they have read the details and that they acknowledge that the listing is shared with hosts.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Check out LUXE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y4276gvBTI

Airbnb LUXE has add-on services for $$.  Extra housekeeping, groceries, extra towels, family gear, chef...

I hope these add-on service choices will trickle down to us.  

Sean433
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

This is a big one that unfortunately a lot of us can relate to...

Airbnb actually charging guests a damage deposit fee. I recently had a guest through vrbo clog our toilet requiring a plumber to snake the drain. Cost us $420. I charged the guest because his damage deposit was actually charged when he made the booking.

Consequently, it seems that guests I get through there are more considerate because they are aware they are paying a damage deposit and should behave like a decent human being .

@Laura2592      My want = 'muscular concierge service'  $50 each way.

I do warn guests  in a message to them when they book, and no elevator is mentioned six times in my listing and I have a graphic. The ones who have told me why they decided to ignore the warning and come with heavy bags have said it is because the nightly price is cheap and they have in mind to drag their suitcases up the stairs - who pays for the the damage to the walls and stairs, not to mention goodwill among neighbors - the noise?   I have had to either call friends (of course I invite them to a brunch or dinner for the favor),  or pay people in local stores, or even passers by off the street - $50 arrival/$50 departure - to help a guest up and down the stairs with super heavy, large suitcases. I figure a 'muscular concierge' surcharge may make them think twice - guest dragging prohibited. It is tough to cancel guests with all the penalties that apply (not to mention the labor intensive project it can become with CS), even when 'no elevator' is written so many times.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Contact the Host button is simply a contact, NOT an inquiry

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Filter the Inbox by Upcoming Stays & Already Completed Stays

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Real Security Deposit

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Allow/Disallow IB by dates (just like how SmartPricing can be toggled on/off)