Fed up of lack of support from air b n b

Laura2262
Level 2
Norwich, United Kingdom

Fed up of lack of support from air b n b

I am currently losing hope In air b n b as a host.

I have  received 5 star reviews no complaints and recently has been one horrendous guest After another with no shows people just turning up etc and no help from air b n b.

The worst is that on Saturday i checked someone in who arrived 1.5 hrs later than they said would check in with no apology, who was not happy there was no tv in bed room (does not state there is one on listing) they were incredibly rude and also complained no driveway parking! Again not stated in listing as is on street free parking.i then arrived home yesterday to key through door and air b n b telling me they had cancelled due to cleanliness and to read air b n b hosting policy!! Fuming I contacted air b n b who said the lady who had messaged me from air b n b Would call and she didnt !

Have replied several times stating no issues previously 5 stars for cleanliness and the guest had moved furniture around the room to find specks of dust which she's pictured and air b n b said she is entitled to a full refund!!!!!

i am fuming have messaged air b n b as I contacted them on her checkin with issues and now this ! Clearly she looked for a way for a refund!

i have strict policy in place so should be paid - however what if I don't and also what if she leaves me terrible review to ruin me ! She has not stayed anywhere else as was her first air b n b booking !!!

7 Replies 7
Colleen47
Level 10
Frisco, CO

Hang in there. You can’t please everyone. I lowered my expectations for guests, and am now pleasantly surprised when things go super well. Funny right? I imagine your guest will not be able to review you if she canceled? And even if she can, you can respond publicly to her. Take the high road, apologize for her unrealistic expectations. @Laura2262

I agree.  There is a total lack of support for hosts from Air bnb.   Right now I have 6 properties on Air bnb and I am considering removing them due to the lack of support.  Resently had one couple who totally trashed my rental.  I tried to get additional cleaning fee but I was told by Alison of Air bnb that since I didn't state in my site ad "there will be an additional charge for excess cleaningneeded upon your departure" I was not entitled to the extra fee.   When my housekeeper arrived and went in she refused to clean it.  Said I didn't pay her enough to clean that mess!    I have noticed a lot of Air bnb's guests not being respectful of the host's property.  Leaving it a mess, moving heavy furniture around and leaving it, sneaking extra guests in, smoking in a non smoking rental, the list just goes on and on.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Colleen47   The host should apologize for a guest's unrealistic expectations? I find that bizarre.

Yes, a guest can review if cancelled day of arrival. And the option to respond to a review is only there if the host also leaves a review.

@Sarah977 That was sarcastic. Doesn’t come through properly in written format. I mean regardless of the situation customer service dictates that we accommodate and coddle guests. Apologize and they feel they have won, often they loose the will to fight back. It placates them. 

@Colleen47  Well, I respectfully disagree. Accomodating guests, ensuring that they're comfortable, being as diplomatic as possible, yes, of course. But coddling and placating rude or entitled people, guests or not, isn't something I see as "dictated" by customer service.

Yes, yes… seasoned hosts know what hospitality is … they also know what securities and backing Airbnb claims they provide their hosts and how Airbnb fails to honour those claims when something goes wrong.  

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Laura2262 No sense worrying about something that has not happened, right? And if this hypochondriac leaves a review, in all likelihood, it be one that could easily be made to look as one coming from a person with personal 'issues'.  

As for Airbnb (note no spaces), they usually fall all over themselves to placate to guests and are also not too high on 'support' so the less you count on it, the better.