Feedback on listing and pricing

Phil231
Level 2
Gouldsboro, ME

Feedback on listing and pricing

Hi All,

This forum has been a big help so far as my wife and I get into hosting for the first time this summer. We are hoping we could get some feedback on our listing. So far we have received some bookings, but I want to make sure everything is well represented so we can minimize the issues down the line. I'll be happy to reciprocate.
Also, we have started out with the auto pricing feature, but it doesn't really ever adjust the price. It also keeps our price very low compared to similar listings in the area. So far we are okay with this since we have no reviews and are just starting out. I'd like to hear from some experienced hosts if you think leaving the price up to Airbnb is good for the long run, or if we should adjust it ourselves based on what we see in listings in our community.
Thanks in advance for your feedback and your patience with a couple of noobs.

Phil & Suzanne

Aunt Suzy's Cozy Cottage

Gouldsboro, Maine

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/33529388

Phil
Aunt Suzy's Cozy Cottage
Downeast Maine
8 Replies 8
Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Phil231 . The summer is YOUR season. Don't be pushed into pricing too low. Between holiday planners and your new host boost, you would be nuts to undersell. Use the pricing research you have done for similar places in your area, and charge what your place is actually worth. You are also running a 20% discount promotion which I am not convinced you will need to fill up during the summer months.

Perhaps Ann can chime in, but there is not way to tag her here.

Thanks Susan, we were wondering about that discount. Might take it off now that we are feeling more comforatable.

Phil
Aunt Suzy's Cozy Cottage
Downeast Maine
Mark1412
Level 5
Michigan, United States

I see your check out time is 11:00am and your check in time is 1:00pm. That doesn't leave you much time to clean the cottage and get ready for the next guest. At times, guest are running behind and will check out a little later than you would ideally like, and guest arrive early.

You might think about giving yourself more time to get the property ready for the next guest.

You have a nice place. I might add more photos of the woods, lake, wildlife, etc. People enjoy the comforts of the cottage but they will be coming to get away and enjoy nature.

Looks nice and when I looked at the listing, it appeared to be a bargin.

Thanks Mark. We both work, so we have it set up to give us a day inbetween guests to do the cleaning. Because of that we thought we would offer a later checkout and earlier check in as a nice service.  I appreciate your feedback about the pictures. I'll do more of that as the snow melts here and it starts to turn green again.

Phil
Aunt Suzy's Cozy Cottage
Downeast Maine
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Phil231, raise your price now. Are you using Smart Pricing? I would set your minimum to at least $95 and your max to $140ish. See what happens to your prices. Also, you WILL book on the coast in September and October, especially on the weekends, so don't be afraid to keep your price up there.

Your #1 question is going to be "how far are you from Acadia, from Bar Harbor, Bangor, etc." You might want to put some of that info in a more prominent space in your listing. I know it's in 'The Neighborhood' section but not all guests will read down that far.

About your photos, it never hurts to stage the space. I'm picturing two wine glasses and a small bouquet of fresh flowers on the table on the screen porch. Also, remove your liquor. I give those bottles one weekend and they'll be gone!

A tip to make guests happy (likely resulting in good reviews): Surprise guests with local drinks or products (local beer, moxie, Maine Root soda, blueberry jam, maple syrup, lobster something/anything.) They always like a little welcome treat. "A little something to help you enjoy our neck of the woods." Raise your price to incorporate some of those goodies. In the summertime, you can. 

Congratulations on your nice looking Airbnb!

Thanks Emilia. We've been waffling about having guest gifts. I love your idea of a six pack of Moxie in the fridge. We're waiting for the snow to melt before we do more picutres, but I'll try to stage a few like you suggest. Your liquor comment made us wonder, do people really expect everything they see in the pictures to be at the location? If we stage pictures do we need to make sure we only use things that will be here?

I appreciate your support and are looking forward to a great season.

Phil
Aunt Suzy's Cozy Cottage
Downeast Maine

@Phil231, I'm not sure if people will assume they are getting a stocked liquor cabinet if they see some bottles off in the corner of a photo. But there may be some guests who think they can help themselves or that you won't notice a shot or two missing. I don't think when you stage your photos that guests will expect to see exactly that when they arrive. But it does show that you are committed to making the space look presentable. So anything from a few flower buds in a small vase to a bowl of pinecones/greenery and a welcome note on the table will get some smiles.

Leslie7
Level 10
Port Angeles, WA

I recommend dagainst using smart pricing. Do your own research. And you will eventually have a guest who will complain because they expect ed something from a picture. Most people are lovely but every once in awhile...