Feedback on the general feel and look of my listing

Maureen348
Level 3
Calgary, Canada

Feedback on the general feel and look of my listing

Hi everyone,

I joined Airbnb in the middle of July and have hosted three guests so far. My third guest is still around and I'm enjoying every single bit of this exciting experience.

Today I read a post on "Feedback - any suggestions to have a better listing?" that was posted by Günther19  on 03-16-2019 I decided that perhaps you could help take a look at my listing and share your take on the way it appeals or don't appeal to you, because you never know how you're coming across right?

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/36804614?location 

26 Replies 26
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Maureen348 I think your listing looks good: there is no red flags that would make me think I didn't want to book. Your photos are good: they are clear and mostly in landscape format, which is how Airbnb looks best.

If I were making some recommendations, I would say get rid of some of the abbreviations in your heading and description, unless you think they're really needed. You're marketing your place, and although there's nothing wrong with being straightforward and clear, I would look to hotel descriptions or even real estate descriptions as a guide. Also, is free parking a big deal in your area? If not, I would consider replacing it with something else in your listing title: it seems a bit generic. Your place is really nice, clean, modern, and looks like a great place for families: I would consider putting the emphasis there. There are also some errors in your written description (assess instead of access for instance). If you have a real estate agent or a friend who's a good writer, maybe ask them to help come up with a description of your place. Also think about the kind of guest you'd like to attract, and word the listing accordingly. For example, if you're trying to market for families, emphasize the fun recreational area you have set up and the family-friendly private dining area.

Also, regarding pricing: your price seems low, but I'm not sure what your market is like. I would carefully research how much your competition is charging for similar offerings: don't use Airbnb price tips, because they are way too low.

You've done a good job of setting expectations with your rules: many new hosts get caught out there without clearly setting out their expectations, so you've done a good job.

Overall, I think your listing looks very good.

Maureen348
Level 3
Calgary, Canada

Thank you so much Alexandra for your input. I will look into your recommendations and make changes accordingly.

Maureen348
Level 3
Calgary, Canada

Hi Alexandra,

Would you know which tab I should go into in order to edit my heading and description?

Maureen348
Level 3
Calgary, Canada

I found how to edit my heading. Thanks

Flavia195
Level 10
Grande Prairie, Canada

@Maureen348  i like your list. Looks really clean, tidy and comfortable.

@Alexandra316 about the price. Do not fear price your house. Believe in me, I saw many places expensive and do not offer anything close to yours.

I would like to have your opnions @Maureen348  and @Alexandra316 . Thanks

( sorry about my english...i will improve)

@Flavia195Your listings are all really nice: they look clean, modern and welcoming. 

I do have a few small suggestions. I would consider adding some pictures of the shared areas like the living room, front hall, breakfast bar/microwave, and dining area. Many people don't read the longer description, but they do look at the pictures, and my usual recommendation is at least 20 pictures in your listing. If there. If there are any outdoor areas that the guest has access to and taking a picture wouldn't violate your privacy, it might be nice to add that as well. Also, I would consider not putting the reserved parking as a major feature of your listing if it's first come, first served, because you may end up with a disappointed guest at some point. On your kitchenette listing, I would also consider removing the wording about the private half-bath, because your other listings also say you can use it, and again, it could lead to misunderstandings. 

Other than that, I think all your listings look great, and it seems your guests are in agreement: you have fantastic reviews. 

@Alexandra316  thank you for your precious suggestions.

I am a bit reserved person and about it I won't put some pics of my house. 

About the parking, i agree with you.

I mentioned about parking because here is bit difficult to find a driveway parking w stall.

I just think, maybe, I ahve too much house rules ( and most do not read or follow any)  🙂

@Flavia195Understood regarding the photos. Maybe at least a couple, like a closeup of the breakfast bar? It just helps if people can see the amenities they have access to. 

I have mixed feeling about the rules: in listings with shared spaces, I don't think it's a bad thing to clearly spell out your expectations. It's also handy to have them to back you up, if needed: if you have a bad guest, you can point to them. If you find that people aren't reading them, maybe politely remind people to check them over or even send them out with your message thanking them for booking. Perhaps something like: 

Hello (Guest Name), 

Thanks so much for booking with me: I'm looking forward to hosting you next week/in September/whenever. If you have any questions or would like any recommendations before you arrive, please get in touch anytime. 

Before your arrival, I would ask that you take a few moments to review the rules to ensure that you have a great stay at my place. {either copy and paste them or provide a link, either works}. 

Thanks again, and have a great day!

Easy peasy, and you may find at least a few more people check them out. 

@Alexandra316 thank you so much. It is a geat idea. Tomorrow i will update those infos.

When I started to host in end of April i offered European berakfast with some home made bread and goodies. It was the worst experience ever 🙂 

The "clean after yourself" became: " mamy clean my messy"... 

My husband nominate my vacuum " Your hobby macchine"  because i have to clean after they eat ( not only breakfast) ...Many times a day i fought against crumbles, fat finger prints everywhere... a nightmare.

Same with bath cleanliness... at same point i use the dog pads to cover my walls and toilette foot in order to protect my floors and walls...

I sat the cleaning fee, raised my night price and removed the breakfast and the kitchen access because not everyone use to wash their hands after bath business... sadly

Maureen348
Level 3
Calgary, Canada

@Flavia195  thank you so much for your input and encouragement!

I am working on addressing the price for my listing after I compare it with similar and comparable listings in my area.

I agree with @Alexandra316 

All your listings look very nice, clean, modern and inviting. I do also agree that it will be worth your while if you include the pictures  of the shared area you said guests have access to like dinning room, family room etc. it helps guest visualize everything that your listing provides and I think it will all the more serve you well.

May I suggest that instead of saying private half bathroom when it is actually shared by other guests, you could say something like 'half bathroom is dedicated for guests use only and is shared by other guests'. I feel like it will send a clearer message and remove any possible misunderstanding that might arise. 

In the case of the house rules in cozy kitchenette, may I suggest that you add a space between the first rule and the second and * before Guests over 5 years old ... to keep the formatting consistence with the rest of the rules.

Instead of saying, No dirty, oily, wet, greasy, dusty, muddy clothes past the entry and no outdoor shoes inside the house. Please respect this rule

You could say something like 'please don't seat on furniture with field work cloths' because usually field work cloths are dirty, oily ... I think it is understandable that you wouldn't want someone to stain your furniture or bed sheets.

I also think the correct wording is eye masks and ear plugs not "eyes mask and ears plugs"  

Sorry but I don't understand what you are trying to say here

"Guests over 5 years old: please remove eventual splashes, hairs, sprinkles, soap residual, etc after use it. Be considerate, tidy and polite".

What do you mean by eventual splashes ... are you trying to say that they should wipe down the shower stall/bath tub after each use?

You are already doing an amazing job, keep up the good work.

@Maureen348  i appreciated so much your tips and corrections.  I will update my list tomorrow morning with all your and @Alexandra316  amazing tips. Thank you guys.

So...about Guests over 5 years old = i want meaning....adult people ( not a kid) would know to use toilette properly, without sprinkles or "gifts" left behind. 

i had a guest who did 1 and 2 around...that behavior isn't acceptable for an adult mature man.

Some other left behind the hairs against the tiles and bubbles all over the tub, water in floor and so on.  I think it is a kind of education that we teach our kids around 3/5 years old.

Between my garage entrance and the living and family room the way is bit longer. Here is a place for oilfield/gasfield. Most of my guests works in that enviroment. I have the rules in my garage entrance, some hangers, table and chairs for they let their coveralls and boots there. 

The half bathroom is for the private use of the Basement list. The guest bathroom upstairs is shared.

Thanks again.

Sean433
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Maureen348 

Hi Maureen, being a host of several properties (feel free to browse through them), I can offer some suggestions. I have learnt a lot through the years and am still learning. 

1) Professional photography- While this may cost you a few hundred dollars it is worth every penny. You can easily recover that back in 4-5 reservations by raising your price which you should do, it seems you are pricing too low. Make sure to go wide lense on the photos because I can tell you have a very spacious home but others can't see the full scope. For example, your cover page and many other areas would show better if people could see a wider angle. Additionally, professional photographers would show the home in better lighting which is super important.

2) Order your pictures from the pictures/rooms you like best first and then the least favourite ones later. Usually I start with the living room first and I spend the most energy to make that look nice. I do this by adding some throw pieces like colourful pillows, some nice art work and ornaments (but don't be too busy either with that). If you feel your dining room is a better layout then the living room, then showcase that first and stage it with a dining table runner (try something that pops and catches the eye).

@Sean433 

Thank you Sean, for your feedback, I really appreciate the time!

I have thought of a professionally taken photograph but since I'm new and have already invested some money in this, I thought to see how things go for the reminder of this year while I take the time to understand the platform and so on. I will definitely check out your listing.

Kat84
Level 10
San Pedro, Philippines

Make a Host touch everywhere you can, your captions are so short. Why not to start with "welcome to...". Add some info about yourself. Put some flowers, roll towels nicely - your place should send the strong feeling that the host is actually waiting for the guests. I also don't see the shower head and toilet seat