Feedback on the general feel and look of my listing

Maureen348
Level 3
Calgary, Canada

Feedback on the general feel and look of my listing

Hi everyone,

I joined Airbnb in the middle of July and have hosted three guests so far. My third guest is still around and I'm enjoying every single bit of this exciting experience.

Today I read a post on "Feedback - any suggestions to have a better listing?" that was posted by Günther19  on 03-16-2019 I decided that perhaps you could help take a look at my listing and share your take on the way it appeals or don't appeal to you, because you never know how you're coming across right?

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/36804614?location 

26 Replies 26

@Kat84 

Thank you for your feedback!

Wow! I’m surprised people have so much feedback! I guess I have a lot to learn! I think the place looks very  nice and tidy. The pool table would be a selling point if traveling with friends or family.  If I were considering your place, I’d book it since you have good reviews already. 

Regarding rules: A long, dense list would intimidate me. I’d think, “This person has a lot of rules, they’re probably a nitpicker.” Do people even read rules? I have my doubts. A small rosé stain on our brand new sofa sleeper has me thinking of posting a small laminated copy of them on the refrigerator.  

I think your price is probably okay, too. Ideally, I want to be booked 2 weeks in advance, so I’ve been dropping prices accordingly. August is our slowest tourism month and we’re 79% booked so I think that’s great. We’re at 64% for September and 34% for October at our full rates. 

Also, what’s the problem with vaping? I’ve driven for rideshare and when a passenger asked to vape, I asked, “Is it going to stink up my car?” He promised it wouldn’t and the smell was pleasant, barely detectable and dissipated quickly. Is there another reason to forbid it?   

Overall, I think it’s a great listing, but I’m new at this, so what do I know? 

@Michelle-and-Jason0 

Thank you for your feedback! People are so supportive in this community and I'm glad to be part of it.

@Michelle-and-Jason0  A little suggestion for you, since you say you're new at this and someone already stained your sofa sleeper- it's a good idea in an Airbnb listing to have things that are easily cleanable (like  wood, tile or concete floors and some washable throw rugs, rather than carpeting). I'd stay away from upholstered furniture as much as possible, and if you do have some, buy some slipcovers that you can just throw in the wash if need be. Unfortunately guests don't always pay attention to keeping things nice and even if they are respectful people, even the best of us can have an accident.

I’d chosen the “Sunbrella” fabric, because it’s supposedly washable and stain-resistant, but I couldn’t get it out with stain remover or vinegar and baking soda. Slipcovers are a great idea though. Thanks! I also had the sofa insured, though I hate to make a claim so soon. I’m miffed about the stain,  but your comments help  put it in perspective. I’m definitely guilty of not being the neatest person myself. 

@Michelle-and-Jason0  Well, funnily enough, I can tell you something about that, too. I'm an upholsterer and I work primarily with Sunbrella fabrics, as they are the only fabric that holds up to the tropical climate here. Go on the official Sunbrella website and look for their stain removal chart- you can use almost anything on it without affecting the finish, although scrubbing at it isn't good, as it can make the fabric look fuzzy.

Depending on the nature of the stain, you can use acetone, bleach, things you might think would ruin it, but it doesn't.

But one important thing- you should never put any Sunbrella fabric in the dryer or iron it- the high heat destroys the anti-stain, anti-fade and anti-mold properties it's known for. wash Sunbrella fabrics in cool water and hang to dry.

Also I've had clients bring me fabric that was sold to them as Sunbrella, but wasn't. It's a patented process, so you have to make sure you're getting the real deal.

Wow! Thank you so much! That’s very helpful! I bought the sofa from Wayfair. Are they a reputable source? 

@Michelle-and-Jason0  I don't have experience with furniture manfacturers, but I think they're a pretty big outfit, so I don't imagine they'd be saying it was Sunbrella if it wasn't. I can tell the difference right away, since I've been working with it for years, but most people wouldn't be able to.

I can’t believe my luck! Truly. Thank you!

This helps so much! I’m very grateful! 

@Michelle-and-Jason0 

Also many thanks to @Flavia195  and @Alexandra316  who encouraged me to increase the price. I took their advise and did a little home work and I think the price is reasonable for now.

Of course! I didn’t realize this post was as old as it is and I thought I was paying attention! Ha ha! Yes, very reasonable. 

@Maureen348  you are very welcome. I am thankful too, your tips were amazing.

I have a huge house rules, seems picky, but believe in me. I had two kind of guests: who read and felt comfortable and welcome and who didn't read- didn't follow. Trust me, it is much better have a good list of House Rules for be protected in case of some problems. At the end, it is your house and they are a perfect unknowing people who coming inside your privacy.

About stains, I use a good product over my sofas at the family room. Scotchgard, i bought at Walmart.