Feedback should also be TO & FROM EVERY ADULT GUEST in the same booking

Annie147
Level 6
Miami, FL

Feedback should also be TO & FROM EVERY ADULT GUEST in the same booking

I've been a host for only 2 months through Airbnb. The site overall is very deficient for hosts. My place is in Miami, Florida which is undergoing an Airbnb meltdown between hosts and established residential areas. So much so, that the Mayor wants to block off completely any rentals done in ALL of Dade, Broward and Monroe Counties "residential coded" areas. This prompted me to write to my state representative who, very surprisingly; responded to my petition immediately, and not as a pre-recorded message. He actually stated that my idea was a very good one and that it could potentially aid in mainting good, healthy relationships between neighbors, hosts, guests, city representatives and Airbnb.

I explained that I was a single mother of 4 and that my rental unit was part of a desire to make ends meet without any aid from the state or government so I was begging all counsil members to convene with a more proactive middle or long term plan so that residents and neighbors would be content, and we as hosts, could keep on renting.

The approach was simple:

Make Airbnb (or any other rental site) to VERIFY each adult guest of the same booking if they want to stay in any city within these counties.

Make the Guest who made the booking to provide all the names of their party (including all children/minors)

Make Airbnb (or any other rental site) to include each guests of the same booking in their 2 WAY FEEDBACK process (the children's feedback might be optional; but please by no means discard what they have to say, as they can very well aid in improving any rental space when seen through their eyes).

Make Airbnb (or any other rental site) to have ALL GUESTS of the BOOKING party LEAVE FEEDBACK, and if after 14 days they don't write anything; penalize that individual guest by not allowing him to book in any other Airbnb (or applicable sites) for a period of 6 months or whatever other penalty you find works or until you can key in on an consequence that will make MANY MORE GUESTS LEAVE FEEDBACK.  This would also make the main booking guest somewhat "responsible/accountable" for their whole party and can follow through with daily reminding statements such as "hey! keep the volume down please!" or hey! pick that up before we leave", or " don't do that because it's not allowed" etc. 

Accountability is important; and if someone is taking the booking responsibility by being the "head of the booking party", then he/she should act as such.

This last part is very important because I have had 10 parties rent my property so far, of which only 5 have left feedback. I have left feedback for all 10. Not only this, but I have futily sent countless emails, phone calls and texts to guests asking them kindly to "remember to leave feedback" and it seems no one gives a hoot; especially the guests that stay only for one night.

Furthermore, Airbnb, you owe it to us as your hosts. If you are constantly making us strive for a better and improved housing scenario, then you should have people objectively critique it with feedback as it is the only way we can constantly improve our spaces.

Although I've seen related topics in Our Voice; this approach will actually aid Airbnb avoid huge and expensive legal battles in big cities like here, where Airbnb collection and depositing of taxes, is simply not enough to maintain this type of business without the scrutiny, involvement and loud cries from communities in the area, and state representatives that have all been negatively impacted by the lack of knowledge of who is in the house next door.

If Airbnb would implement this process we can rule out immediately parties of guests that will be damaging to our communities, our properties and our neighbors, while at the same time keeping our state representatives happy that they are being pro-active in their community.

One thing to add is that if by the grace of God; Airbnb would take this action or would turn this post into "Up for Consideration", they must also find a process by which the HOST IS NOT PENALIZED because of not accepting or declining any booking party, even if it is due to one single party member that either has too many negative feedbacks or is not verified (with the exception of everyone under age, of course).

Lastly, if you would like to see this post get real attention, Please give it thumbs up; it's the only way Airbnb will consider anything.

Thank you and please contribute more to this post if you have any other experience or ideas within this particula subject matter.

Annie

3 Replies 3

@Annie147:
If you can copy and paste your post to "Host Voice" it might have better response. Host Voice is the forum category that Airbnb says they monitor for ideas/suggetions from hosts. (top menu, mouse over "Discuss" then click "Host Voice.")

I thought I was in Host Voice! OMG another very confusing issue in their site. 

Thank you very much for bringing this up, I sincerely appreciate it!

Annie

Carlisa0
Level 1
Miami, FL

I also host in Miami, provide a clean comfortable area and due to all the commotion from the politions will be removing my site.