Feeling unsafe and velnerable

Kerri13
Level 2
Portland, OR

Feeling unsafe and velnerable

Hello,

I wanted to see if anyone else is feeling unsafe and vulnerable now that we have had to list so much detail about our security systems?   Having to list how many cameras, locations, what they do, if they are on, in which areas and what they monitor and what type they are I feel unsafe with my family.

Doesn't this feel like we are providing a blueprint to others who might want to break in. Steal or cause harm? I have a security system to protect me. But if anyone knows exactly how to get around it and how to break in, then how am I safe?

I feel very vulnerable and scared living in the rural area I do with this knowledge front and center to potentially anyone.

Anyone else feel this way?

5 Replies 5
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Difficult one for you. I think it's legitimate for Airbnb to say you need to disclose what camera systems you have on your property so guests can make an informed choice before they book. @Kerri13 

How would listing what cameras you have help potential burglars get around your security system? 

I'm sure not all listing platforms are as stringent so perhaps use other listing companies that operate in your area and direct bookings if you don't feel comfortable disclosing the detail Airbnb wants. 

@Helen3 

How would listing what cameras you have help potential burglars get around your security system? 

OMG that definitely helps! Any burglars or thieves would want to know if and where there's any camera located in a building they are trying to steal/rob from, and they can easily find such information on Airbnb because hosts have to disclose it.

Kerri13
Level 2
Portland, OR

Thanks for your reply.

I really want to know how other hosts feel about this.

Yes, Guests should know there are security systems , but not sure I agree with so much details.

if door A has a motion detected camera and door B has no camera and the garage has a camera on the front but not the back I have given them the way to go around  the cameras to break in or even host parties.

I feel a little less safe knowing that all my details are present to all who look.

It does make me feel vulnerable and unsafe, knowing that it is all public.

Other platforms might be less detailed, but then why is airbnb asking for so many details?

I am trying to see how to work best with this and still feel safe.

K

I just say they are located front and back exterior. I also have signs about cameras on property. I don’t disclose exact locations though (or hide them either). I think it helps against crime.

i also have fines associated with disabling anything. Hope this helps?

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

In California, you must disclose cameras “in any location where there is a reasonable expectation of privacy”.

No one should expect privacy in any outdoor area that can be observed by the public. Therefore, I don’t think outdoor cameras viewing outside entry doors and windows should be required to be disclosed.  

Do cameras at interesections and businesses have big signs announcing their presence? Do hotels disclose every camera outside, in the lobby and in hallways?  No, because they are in the public, with no reasonable expectation of privacy.

I think Airbnb should adapt this level of disclosure requirements, and I, like you, would feel uncomfortable disclosing on a public web page all of my camera locations, especially the safety-related ones.