Fees. Do you charge any?

Ellen104
Level 4
Denver, CO

Fees. Do you charge any?

In the past, I had a more flexible work schedule, and I allowed guests a flexible check-in. This meant I sometimes stayed up until 1-2 am waiting for guests to arrive. Now, I have to be at work super-early, and I have changed my check-in time to 3pm-10pm. In the interest of being flexible, I do allow off-hour check-ins - for a $25 fee, hopefully discouraging guests from coming at odd hours but also compensating me in the event that they do. Surprise, surprise - guests don't bother to read any of the info and always request that I waive the fee.  

So, my question is - do you charge any fees outside of cleaning fees? Do you ever waive fees if guests request it?

3 Replies 3
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Ellen104  I do not waive fee's or give discounts except for a military one. If you give an inch they will take a mile. Guest who request special privledges like eary or late check in, discounts, fee's waived, etc. tend to want more and more during their stay in my experience. They also tend to be lousy reviews or no reviews. 

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Ellen104. I do not charge any fees. Either I can fulfill their request or I can't. In my mind, once you add a fee for late check in, you have now stated that you can accomodate a late check in.

I do not mention this, but I have always allowed late check ins sending instructions in advance. Flights are delayed, etc, so I had to come up with a solution.

Daniel1992
Level 10
Downingtown, PA

Hi, @Ellen0!

I charge a small cleaning fee to cover my cost of doing laundry and cleaning the private room.  I charge an early check-in/late check-out fee of $10 per hour.  My extra guest fee is $40 after the first 2 guests, as I can only accomodate 2 guests (I only have one bed).  If you have a third person in your group that REALLY wants to sleep in the common area, then you're paying $40 for it.  2 more?  Give me $80.  I also charge a $50 food consumption fee, as I only purchase food for me.  If you consume my food, you get charged for the actual product as well as the inconvenience of me having to go to the store and replacement.

Except the cleaning fee, all of these fees are meant to discourage that behavior than to make me money.