Female guest want to have a female Host

Thomas339
Level 10
Basel, Switzerland

Female guest want to have a female Host

We just have a case in the German CC where a US female guest booked an apartment  in Hamburg from a female host
https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hilfe/Stornierung-wegen-Übergabe-durch-einen-Mann/m-p/814960#M31...

Because of time management, the husband of her daughter was there to make the check-in. 
The US guest, mother and daughter, refuse to check-in and canceled the stay because a man wants to make the check-in. 

The support told her that in the US it's normal that a female guest which booked at a female host expect a woman doing the check-in.
In a first step, the Airbnb US support canceled the stay a refund the guest completely. 
The German support which was contacted the next day said that is the policy of Airbnb. But as the German host didn't know about that policy she will get a little amount. 

Personly I didn't find anything in the terms of Airbnb about this topic. 

Do you US host know something about this policy? Did you ever had such an issue? Are we European just not aware of this expectation a female US guest have?

12 Replies 12
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

In general it is Airbnb policy that the person you book with is the person who shows up, whether guest or host. However, discrimination based on gender is not allowed except when it comes to shared spaces.

Jarg0
Level 10
Bad Zwischenahn, Germany

Where in  ABB terms i can find it?

https://www.airbnb.de/terms

That is the expectation that you have @Lisa723 but it's far away from the Airbnb reality
Think about the self-check-in, Property Manager, Multi-listing in a different location, Hotels and and and

The discrimination rule is only for Host, never saw them for guest at all and as @Jarg0 said you will not find any rules about who must do the check-in in the Airbnb Terms..... 

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Oh my goodness what a surprise!  more entitled guests?

Thank your lucky stars these ladies moved out......red flag springs to mind.

Jarg0
Level 10
Bad Zwischenahn, Germany

@Lisa723

There is no rule in the ABB Terms that the Account member must open the door and must do the check in with the guest.

There  is no rule in the ABB Terms that the guest can do a canellation (Listing’s cancellation policy) if not the Account member do the check in.

I search in

https://www.airbnb.com/terms?locale=en#sec7

https://www.airbnb.com/terms?locale=en#sec9

Please tell me the wording in the terms if you found it that the account member must do check In.

What we have ist co host policy, and this person can do the Check-In too, but there are now ord about a thierd person.

In real life, a couple do rent a ABB room. The wife is account owner, and on work, her husband is doing home work and has time to do the Check-In. He has no account at ABB and no Host function.   Now the guest come and say: "No, we dont do Check-In, its not the account member."

What would happend in real Life? Hello and Welcome. Im Mr Smith, my wife is at work and i do the Check-In. Nobody in real life would say that is not Ok.

Most guests are just happy to get into the property. Seems very weird.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

As @Lisa723 and others said , I also never heard of such policy. But I've heard about co-hosts, managers, agency stuff, cleaning personal even neighbours do the check in if the owner is not available.

I've also heard discrimination based on gender is not permitted on Airbnb except at shared places where you can chose to host only the same gender.

I think the Airbnb customer service rep just made it up as an excuse to refund your guest. 

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Thomas339 I have read every thing I can find about AirBnB and there rules, policies and terms and have never seen nor heard of this. I would fight it on principal as the customer service rep was just plain wrong to refund the guests. 

I wish the son in law would have understood what the ladies were saying standing there before turning around, but .... even without this detail, I feel strongly that the ladies did not like the neighborhood, saw something that tripped them etc. As Pete in Seattle says; 'most guests are happy to just get into their place". 

Insult to injury; I agree that AirBnB USA should NOT have refunded without a complete explanation that could have been looked up under any terms and conditions, chapter X, paragrapgh Y, sentence Z. 

And the comment (on the German thread of this episode) ... I have NEVER seen an American man get out of an elevator, when a single woman entered said elevator, in fear that he might get accused of impropriaty in the elevator. Not my experience. But it made for some good reading. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Thomas339   If the female guests were that freaked out about a man checking them in (I would imagine he introduced himself and his relationship to the host) they could easily have messaged the host to either confirm that he was who he said he was, or to say they were uncomfortable about it. Cancelling the booking was way over the top, and as other posters have confirmed, there is no Airbnb policy regarding this. So the CS was wrong to have accepted the cancellation on this basis.

And FYI, this is NOT a normal level of paranoia by US females.

Thomas339
Level 10
Basel, Switzerland

@Sarah977 @Anonymous @Letti0 @Branka-and-Silvia0 @Pete28

Thank you all for the feedback. It's lile I tought it would be no one ever heard of such a policy of Airbnb in the US....

I Think the ladies where not happy with the location or whatever and found a great way to avoid the stay there... 

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

And you had a very lucky escape!

count your blessings!