Female only dormitory room - acceptable?

Hello6
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

Female only dormitory room - acceptable?

Our next question to the community will be regarding listing a female only dormitory room through Airbnb for our hostel and if it would be acceptable under the policies.  We hope your Airbnb has worked out for you.  Cheers from Gran Canaria Spain. 

4 Replies 4
Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Hello6 

I saw that you responded to an old post, and I thought this was a great question, so I've made your reply into a new post so that our wonderful Hosts can help you out.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hello6
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

Thanks@Jenny 🙂

Hello6
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

we have listed our Hello House Hostel in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria Spain exclusively on Airbnb since June of 2019.  Each new winter tourist season we have seen more and more Airbnb listings in our area and less and less guests - especially female solo travelers.  Each season we also see a proliferation of new and similar FEMALE ONLY listings on Airbnb for our area including many of the hostels in our area either by private host or company accounts.  We currently list all our listings as gender neutral mixed / co- Ed.  We do this based on our interpretation of Airbnb's non-discrimination policy however each year we do see more listings including hostels in the area specifically host FEMALE ONLY dormitories within their homes.   We have read the non-discrimination policy through and through and honestly we think at this stage it is worth a discussion - Is it ok to have a Female Only Dormitory in a Shared home / hostel and is it ok to make this listing on Airbnb - regardless if the hosts identify their gender at all?  We bring up the discussion as each year more listings are made and each year our numbers drop especially for Female Solo travelers.  We have had guests in the past request a dormitory be kept female only and we have maintained an impromptu female only dormitory for some time.  We just think it is time to advertise this space as Female Only on Airbnb like we see with the competition.  Would this be ok?  Your thoughts and advice welcome.  Especially clarity from Airbnb itself. 🙂

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I too have often wondered what Airbnb would think if I made my island 'Female Only' (with a string of further 'mathematical qualifications' to be on the safe side) too discriminatory. 😉