[Festival] 10 things to do to make your listing more sustainable

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

[Festival] 10 things to do to make your listing more sustainable

Living room with natural light, led lamps and reused furniture made with reforestation woodLiving room with natural light, led lamps and reused furniture made with reforestation wood

Siyana and Khalam.png

This is part of the CC Festival of hospitality, original topic created in the Portuguese speaking Community Center, by @Siyana-and-Khalam0 and translated below. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello friends of the Community,

The meaning of the word sustainability is constantly changing and being expanded. It can basically be said that it is the ability to interact with the planet in an intelligent way, not compromising the natural resources of future generations. The concept is very broad and encompasses a series of attitudes that can be considered ecologically correct, economically viable and that support cultural diversity and social justice.

I will list here some actions I consider part of the process of making our homes more sustainable and that can be implemented gradually, bringing direct savings and long term collaborating to reduce the impact on the environment in which we live:

1 - Separate garbage - Have different bins for different waste: one for organic waste (which you can compost), one for recyclables and one for waste (which cannot be composted or recycled). Remember to mark the bins indicating the type of waste and always inform the guests about the collection days.

2 - Organic matter - Have a compost bin and/or earthworm for the organic matter, generating fertilizer for plants and reducing considerably the generation of waste. There are compact models for apartments and guests enjoy the experience of learning more about the subject. And if you want and can, set up a small garden with herbs and spices that can be used by guests. They can be in small pots arranged on balconies or service areas.

3 - Natural lighting - Take advantage of the natural lighting in your home and use bright colors in the painting of the walls to reflect the light, which reduces the need for use of lamps during the day.

4 - Artificial light - Switch to LED lamps, which can generate savings of up to 80% over other types of lamps, and use the models that emit light with a yellowish tone, more cozy for rooms and bedrooms.

5 - Ventilation - If possible open the windows and abuse cross ventilation, helping to achieve natural air conditioning.

6 - Household Appliances - When buying or replacing an appliance, check the energy-saving label that indicates the appliances with the highest levels of energy efficiency.

7 - Wash dishes - If possible, choose to use a dishwasher, which reduces water consumption by up to 85% and only turn it on when it is full.

8 - Cleaning products - Use products such as vinegar, baking soda and lemon to make cleaning products, they are cheaper and super efficient in cleaning, without harming the environment and your health.

9 - Water filter - Use clay filter with candles with sterilizing activated carbon - which inhibits the purchase of mineral water - generating savings and reducing the use of plastic packaging.

10 - Furniture - When furnishing or replacing home furniture, choose those with a long useful life, use reforested wood, or reuse old furniture by making small renovations, such as a painting or a new fabric.

And remember the tripod of sustainability that takes into account the environment, the economic result and the valuation of people's quality of life, suggesting that its guests know and respect the local culture and consume products from the region.

If you have more tips, comment below!

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

28 Replies 28
Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

This is a great list - thanks for sharing!

After seeing the number of disposable water bottles going into our recycle bin, we started loading the fridge up with 1L bottles of filtered tap water. Nestle wishes they could get their hands on our water! It tastes so much better when it isn't stored in plastic.

We're also doing away with the Keurig coffee maker. It's convenient, but the pods aren't easily recyclable. And our locally roasted coffee tastes much better anyway.

We've also stopped using Swiffer duster/mops. Cleaning cloths and a steam mop are more sustainable replacements.

Hi @Allison2 
Nice tips also. 😉
So good that each one of us can start with a very simple step to be more conscious in our daily lives.

Siyana & Khalam
_/\_

Siyana

Certainly commendable.  We also did away with our Keurig coffee maker.  The piles (and costs) of the pods certainly aren't cheaper than traditional coffee grounds.  

What type of bottles do you use for your 1L filtered tap water?

We do still use Swiffer dusters as we have a huge stockpile of them.  LOL...  Getting rid of those will be next on our list.

@Lily24 @Allison2  Congrats on ditching the Keurig. I'm just astounded at how many hosts proudly state that they have one, as if it's just de rigeur. Not only is the waste unconscionable, the plastic and aluminum are unhealthy and I've read that it's been found that there can be a bacteria buildup in the machines, because the hot water passes through too quickly to kill things like that.

Nothing beats fresh ground coffee made in a French press, IMHO.

I agree.  It is very tedious to clean pod coffee makers.  Besides, coffee pods aren't nearly as economical to purchase as ground coffee.  Sigh, will I just skip coffee makers and go straight to instant coffee?  LOL

I bought these through Amazon. IKEA sells similar ones that I've had for years - good quality.

https://www.amazon.com/Flip-Glass-Bottle-Liter-Pack/dp/B07JZWGQQN/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1YLVT2UW5EAQ6&keyw...

I am definitely with you on the water bottles!  I am sometimes shocked at the number of plastic bottles left in the recycle bin by guests.  I need to mention in my listing - and will do so very shortly - that our drinking water is beautiful and, like you, will leave full one-litre glass bottles in the refrigerator. 

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute @Siyana0 & Khalam 

Thank you for sharing with us your interesting ideas.  

Thanks, 

Miloud

Thank you @Miloud0 

Glad that you liked it!
😉

Siyana

Siyana
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thank you from across the seas in Auckland, New Zealand @Siyana-and-Khalam0  for sharing your tips, some of which I already use and grew up with.

I do love your cushions on the floor, did you make them yourselves?

Did you build your own home?

All the best

Hi @Helen427 

🙂
Thank you too. I really liked your post and I wanted to know your place, I love to travel!

Yes, we built our home. We did the architectural project together with an architect friend, hired the builders and followed the whole work.
So we could implement several solutions that we always wanted to have in our home.

Nice you liked the cushions, I bought the fabric and had it made.
All the best to you too.

Siyana

Your welcome @Siyana-and-Khalam0 

Feel free to msg me should you decide to visit Auckland , New Zealand as it would be great to catch up.

At the moment I host a single traveler however can recommend other Hosts who may be able to accommodate couples/ families.

Always nice to have homemade interior items.

All the best

Central To All Home & Location

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute @Siyana-and-Khalam0 

Thank you also  

Thanks, 

Miloud

Sayny0
Level 2
Suva, Fiji