[Festival] 10 things to do to make your listing more sustainable

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

[Festival] 10 things to do to make your listing more sustainable

Living room with natural light, led lamps and reused furniture made with reforestation woodLiving room with natural light, led lamps and reused furniture made with reforestation wood

Siyana and Khalam.png

This is part of the CC Festival of hospitality, original topic created in the Portuguese speaking Community Center, by @Siyana-and-Khalam0 and translated below. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello friends of the Community,

The meaning of the word sustainability is constantly changing and being expanded. It can basically be said that it is the ability to interact with the planet in an intelligent way, not compromising the natural resources of future generations. The concept is very broad and encompasses a series of attitudes that can be considered ecologically correct, economically viable and that support cultural diversity and social justice.

I will list here some actions I consider part of the process of making our homes more sustainable and that can be implemented gradually, bringing direct savings and long term collaborating to reduce the impact on the environment in which we live:

1 - Separate garbage - Have different bins for different waste: one for organic waste (which you can compost), one for recyclables and one for waste (which cannot be composted or recycled). Remember to mark the bins indicating the type of waste and always inform the guests about the collection days.

2 - Organic matter - Have a compost bin and/or earthworm for the organic matter, generating fertilizer for plants and reducing considerably the generation of waste. There are compact models for apartments and guests enjoy the experience of learning more about the subject. And if you want and can, set up a small garden with herbs and spices that can be used by guests. They can be in small pots arranged on balconies or service areas.

3 - Natural lighting - Take advantage of the natural lighting in your home and use bright colors in the painting of the walls to reflect the light, which reduces the need for use of lamps during the day.

4 - Artificial light - Switch to LED lamps, which can generate savings of up to 80% over other types of lamps, and use the models that emit light with a yellowish tone, more cozy for rooms and bedrooms.

5 - Ventilation - If possible open the windows and abuse cross ventilation, helping to achieve natural air conditioning.

6 - Household Appliances - When buying or replacing an appliance, check the energy-saving label that indicates the appliances with the highest levels of energy efficiency.

7 - Wash dishes - If possible, choose to use a dishwasher, which reduces water consumption by up to 85% and only turn it on when it is full.

8 - Cleaning products - Use products such as vinegar, baking soda and lemon to make cleaning products, they are cheaper and super efficient in cleaning, without harming the environment and your health.

9 - Water filter - Use clay filter with candles with sterilizing activated carbon - which inhibits the purchase of mineral water - generating savings and reducing the use of plastic packaging.

10 - Furniture - When furnishing or replacing home furniture, choose those with a long useful life, use reforested wood, or reuse old furniture by making small renovations, such as a painting or a new fabric.

And remember the tripod of sustainability that takes into account the environment, the economic result and the valuation of people's quality of life, suggesting that its guests know and respect the local culture and consume products from the region.

If you have more tips, comment below!

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

28 Replies 28
A65
Level 3
Pitlochry, United Kingdom

Great to see these ideas.

I encourage people to use soap instead of shower gel in plastic containers, and give guests lots of ideas about how to enjoy the area without a car. I save unnecessary washing by giving one pillow each and leaving others in the cupboard. 

A great list. I’m proud to say we have already adopted many of the ideas. We have also switched to Who Gives a Crap toilet paper. It’s made from bamboo so more sustainable than trees and 50% of their profits to to providing sanitation where it’s lacking around the world. Well worth a look. 

We too use Who gives a crap, the bamboo version as well, lovely and soft! zero plastic packaging. 😄 

As well as providing soap in cardboard packaging, no plastic bottles or plastic wrapping again.

Amelia92
Level 2
Bondi Junction, Australia

Who gives a Crap loo paper. 

Soap bars in card board, no plastic. 

We educate about Australian tap water being safe to drink. No need for filters or bottles of water. 

We provide reusable shopping bags for groceries etc 

All cleaning detergent etc provided for guests to use is grey water safe. (eco-friendly)

Indoor plants help with air quality too. Although it is disappointing when they aren't cared for by long term guests. 

I wonder if Airbnb would think about sending out some eco-friendly traveling tips for customers with all of their automated travelling emails. A separate email about reducing your impact while travelling and staying away from home. Simple things such as think about opening the windows or doors instead of turning on the air con. Bring your own shampoo, conditioner, soap. Travel kits for eating and drinking without creating waste while exploring the world 🙂 Coffee cups, drink bottles, cutlery etc. Changing habits takes time, some people don't even think about it though. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

hello @Amelia92 across the ocean from here in Remuera, Auckland, New Zealand.

Do you include some of you suggestions in your last paragraph in info in your profile?
Perhaps in your House Manual?

If you are hands on Host if you do a Guided Tour you can incorporate those great practices.

All the Best

Central To All Home & Location

Amelia92
Level 2
Bondi Junction, Australia

For the reusables yes I do suggest, although suggesting things like open a door instead of using air conditioning coming from hosts rather than Airbnb makes it look like I'm asking so I can save money on electricity costs.

Further sometimes it is difficult to get people to even read the address of where they are staying! Let alone read my house manual etc. In my other world I own a reusable cloth nappy business so I am well aware of the nuances of how eco suggesting comes across and can be received. No one wants a host who "nags" them about not using electricity, or washing their nappies instead of filling up the rubbish bins.

Airbnb also has a much greater database than my few guests each year. Everyone can do their part, Airbnb has the most opportunities here though to make a difference and educate people. How many guests have they sent an email to today, about getting ready for their trip, contact your host, local activities etc etc. Imagine if even 1% of them, took a reusable water bottle for their trip instead of buying plastic bottles of water? 

Airbnb comes from a neutral place, they gain nothing financially from guests being more eco-conscious when travelling, so guests would be far less sceptical of their suggestions and therefore in my opinion, far more likely to take on board the suggestions. 

Just my thoughts, anyhow 🙂

@Amelia92  Isn't it something how people can walk by a plant 15 times a day that's drooping from lack of water and never think to give it a drink? I have a friend who has 4 small cabins on her property she rents out long term. She made these beautiful little gardens in front of all of them, and the renters commented on how nice they were when they first moved in, yet would sit there on the porch all day on their computer and never think to water anything. They just let the plants dry up and die. So she figured, screw it, if they don't care enough, why should I? One more chore off her list.

Marcia90
Level 2
York, United Kingdom

I stopped using plastic bin liners and instead I just empty the bins and wipe them. Vinegar is a must for shiny surfaces. I refill all my shampoo etc from a local refill shop. 

Hmm, not familiar with refill shops for shampoo etc.  Any suggestions?  Seems like a natural foe Whole Foods!

Kathryn304
Level 2
Brevard, NC

My theme for my rooms is "Green and Organic".  I don't use Keurig and I compost coffee and filters, and offer filtered water to drink and shower in, plus organic coffee and tea.  One type of soap (Dr. Bronners) and I clean with all green products, well, vinegar, essential oils, baking soda, etc. and I hang my sheets on the line for a super fresh smell whenever weather permits!  Going toward all organic linens, and ask folks to recycle what they bring into the room - all they have to do is leave it on the table.  I am also a vegan (ethical) and so attract many vegans and vegetarians and sometimes they ask me to make food for them.  Love it!

I’ve begun using compostable bags for compost.  My guests still aren’t getting the separation of items for bins, so I have to do it after things are in the wrong bin.  I’m not liking the K-cups or plastic bottles either. 

Carole625
Level 1
Geneva, Switzerland

In countries where you are handed out a plastic straw whenever you buy a drink, even bottled water, I think provided bamboo straws for free to your guests is a nice gesture which could go a long way towards less polluted oceans and beaches. Guests must remember to carry the straw with them when they go out of course !

Sue1453
Level 2
Queensland, AU

Great reminder of how even the smallest changes can make a difference . We have now labelled a basket for recyclables outside near the bin as we found ourselves constantly sorting the rubbish and will place an attractive container for compostables  in kitchen . 
thanks Sue https://www.airbnb.com/h/hazelmontcottage-ravensbourne

Sylvia410
Level 2
Long Eaton, United Kingdom

I was really happy to see your article on Sustainability.  I was even more pleased to note that I do all of the things you recommend - as I am qualified Herbal Practitioner and although I don't inflict my views on my guests - I try to provide a clean and nice environment for them.   I book for a whole house - just weekends - (In York UK).  I can see the fast food packaging (ha ha).

What I would like to ask is the type of water filter you recommend - I have never seen in the UK.   Could you explain a little more about it for me?

Sylvia410