[Festival] 7 things that seem to be 5 star makers

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

[Festival] 7 things that seem to be 5 star makers

cc festival.png

There are so many aspects to hosting but one that gets so much attention seems to be the never ending drive for that all treasured “5 star review”. Most of us as host have special things that tend to make our Airbnb’s unique and special. But I think it’s some basic things that really help keep those stars flying in our direction.  Guests want to experience that WOW effect in most all their adventures. And staying in an Airbnb can be slightly scary for many first timers (they say) so the quicker they feel comfy and relaxed or at home the better.

1] Chalkboard Greeting -  In our cottage we turned the A/C door into a chalkboard with a personal Welcome, Wi-Fi password and recommendations for eating and my must see things in Pensacola. Seeing their names on the large chalk board appears to be a real delight for almost all guests.  And they know they are special and belong right here! (We just feed those egos a little bit)

2] Keyless Entry - For most of the Pensacola guests going to the beach and having to deal with keys can be rather tricky. Plus who wants to have to make extra keys and be on the alert at any hour to let a guest in your place when they’ve lost the keys – so the keypad code system is a great answer - just 4 numbers - no keys, no hassle, just freedom. Makes for a streamlined super easy check in as well. We keep it secure by changing the codes after each guest. Our Schlage keyless entry holds 15 codes  at one time so we can assign a number and delete it immediately after check out. Many hosts use the last 4 numbers of someones phone. The new guest has their code which is different. Safety first.

3] Mattress Protectors - Recently a friend said she always strips the beds in her Airbnb work travel stays. She said on a recent stay somewhere the mattress had many awful stains so she felt the bed was dirty and really wished she had not seen that. It spoiled how she felt about her stay up to that moment.  Making sure everything is sparkling clean is maybe the most important deal (star) breaker! Some guests think they are doing the hosts a favor by stripping the bed (m friend did) or sometimes there are stained sheets and maybe embarrassment or not? So make sure your mattress is not stained (if it is a zippered protective cover will help). I use 2 mattress protectors at all times – to make certain and protect the mattress which I think is the most important furniture in an overnight stay. We have a fabulous Muse sleep bed that everyone seems to totally adore.

4] Lint Rollers - Did you know that most people typically lose between 50 - 100 hairs a day? Any guest will tell you a stray hair/s on their pillow or bed will spoil things very quickly so my “go to” in managing this challenge is Lint Rollers – I lint roll the bedding before stripping and laundering and then after I make the bed I lint roll once again. Making sure to find every single hair. I buy lint rollers in a 4 or 6 pack because more is definitely more and better!

5] Extra Towels - If you search out really good towels at great lower prices you can be generous with guests and leave extras and most often they are not all used. I’d rather have to wash a couple towels after check out than having to deliver more at any given hour. This seems to work out super.

6] Toiletries - Something most hosts work to balance, is what toiletries to put in the bathroom so we decided large pump bottles of body wash, shampoo and conditioner would be eco-friendly, much cheaper and less hassle. No soap bars for the cottage and less clean up.

7] Extra Pillows - The sleep/play experience is the most critical since a large amount of time is typically spent in the beds we all offer.  So I believe it pays to offer extra pillows for each guest – 2 per person, plus a few décor pillows. It looks terrific and adds a touch of luxury for little expense and work. All pillows are first covered in hypoallergenic protective zippered covers and then we use extra soft cotton pillow cases.

These are a few things that work for us and seem to keep those 5 star reviews coming. 

With over 125 - 5 star reviews in 2 yrs, I totally enjoy hosting in Pensacola Florida and learning from and sharing with others about their hosting experiences. The Community Center has been a real blessing of people, information and advice, a wonderful community we can all celebrate being part of. Please share any of your tips, and life hacks you have found, below.

Happy Hosting and Many Blessings, Clara

89 Replies 89
Ana1971
Level 4
Mesa, AZ

Pillows, how did we overlook pillows? We've stayed in hundreds of hotels, bed and breakfasts, etc. all over the world and the pillows are never very good. I usually end up rolling up a towel and using that as a pillow instead of any of the ones provided at the property. Thanks for this reminder, it has spurred us into action to get several different types of pillow for our guests. Some people like fluffy pillows, some thin, firm pillows. Tomorrow we are going pillow shopping!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ana1971 

I also struggle with the pillows in hotels. I've stayed in a lot of 4* and 5* hotels because of my job and, while the mattresses are generally very good, I usually hate the pillows because squishy feather filled ones might spell luxury to some, but just give me a literal pain in the neck.

I therefore make sure that each bed has a variety of pillows. Like you said, different people like different pillows, so I put four on each bed (I host solo guests but used to also host couples/pairs), of various types in differing thicknesses, firmness etc. So far, I've never had a complaint about the pillows, but I have had a couple of guests who were very fussy about pillows take mine and leave their own one that they brought with them!

Lan1
Level 10
El Cerrito, CA

Thank you @Clara116 @Lizzie @Stephanie After few years hosting, I am confident about myself in providing good accommodation to guests, but have doubt if can achieve 100% five star regardless how I trying hard. It is great to know @Clara116 recommendations, it will help me a lot to improve my host standards.

I want to say that each individual host has his or her own style, value, and talent, but there are something crucial for all the hosts to  be five star:  motivation, passion, value, tolerance, kindness, caring, and understanding. I am a down to the earth type of person, enjoy nature, simplicity, neat, comfort. Sometimes I got bad review comments regarding the my inexpensive furnitures, simple bedding style,  old fashioned lamps, or humble handmade decorations, I had to apologize for my unwillingness to accommodate their taste...I am so grateful that most my guests were wonderful people with great understanding!  I enjoyed wonderful time to host them!

Not sure if I am off topic, but that was what in my mind...

周蘭
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

hello @Lan1 

Always remember where a person may comment on your inexpensive furniture, humble hand made decorations etc it's the person inside the home and love you generate that counts.

It's great to see you environmentally aware and we all have to start somewhere in life.

Some of my furniture is from roadside collections however it seems to be those pieces receive the most attention and compliments.

All the best

@Helen427 thank you for your comments!! 

周蘭

@Lan1 I think exceptional hospitality trumps fancy furnishings any day and it sounds like you've got that!

@Suzanne302 Thank you! You made my day!!!!

周蘭
Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thank you for sharing @Clara116 a good at on is extra toilet paper and ear plugs. Both are relatively cheap and easy to source. The later is best for those guests who a on the light side of the sleeping range. 🙂

Fran2
Level 10
Launceston, Australia

I have a Magnetized Scrabble set that I use to write a welcome message on the refrigerator. Many times the guests have changed the letters around and written back to me, such fun! I also use pillow protectors against dribblers and pick a fresh bunch of flowers from my garden.  

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Fran2 

Can I challenge you to a game of Scrabble one day?
It's a board game I love to play!

@Fran2  What a clever idea with the Magnetized Scrabble set - and sweet that they write back to you on it.

I have had Kindergarten teachers totally erase my board and write and draw wonderful thank you's. Fun for sure. 

Thanks for sharing, Clara

Fran2
Level 10
Launceston, Australia

Forgot to mention bedside lights, I get many comments on how good they are ! I like to read in bed and have lamps that show good light. I also have a 4 plug power board each side of the beds for chargers and CPAP machines. As someone who has travelled extensively with a machine for 9 years it’s often frustrating  trying to connect it to power.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Fran2 
I agree with you about the importance of having sufficient power points for those who may need machines to travel with, especially sleeping aids, something some may not be aware of the importance of.

@Fran2 @Helen427  thanks for the reminders about the power plugs for extra sleeping aids, most of us only think of those mobile devices and such when we don't have to travel and live with assistance. 

Can you plug those into an extension power cord/bar? Must they be plugged into the direct wall plug? Thanks

Fran2
Level 10
Launceston, Australia

Yes they can! I”m Australian and have travelled extensively overseas in the 9 years since I got one. We always carry a power adapter for the country we travel in and a small extension cord.