[Festival] 7 things that seem to be 5 star makers

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

[Festival] 7 things that seem to be 5 star makers

cc festival.png

There are so many aspects to hosting but one that gets so much attention seems to be the never ending drive for that all treasured “5 star review”. Most of us as host have special things that tend to make our Airbnb’s unique and special. But I think it’s some basic things that really help keep those stars flying in our direction.  Guests want to experience that WOW effect in most all their adventures. And staying in an Airbnb can be slightly scary for many first timers (they say) so the quicker they feel comfy and relaxed or at home the better.

1] Chalkboard Greeting -  In our cottage we turned the A/C door into a chalkboard with a personal Welcome, Wi-Fi password and recommendations for eating and my must see things in Pensacola. Seeing their names on the large chalk board appears to be a real delight for almost all guests.  And they know they are special and belong right here! (We just feed those egos a little bit)

2] Keyless Entry - For most of the Pensacola guests going to the beach and having to deal with keys can be rather tricky. Plus who wants to have to make extra keys and be on the alert at any hour to let a guest in your place when they’ve lost the keys – so the keypad code system is a great answer - just 4 numbers - no keys, no hassle, just freedom. Makes for a streamlined super easy check in as well. We keep it secure by changing the codes after each guest. Our Schlage keyless entry holds 15 codes  at one time so we can assign a number and delete it immediately after check out. Many hosts use the last 4 numbers of someones phone. The new guest has their code which is different. Safety first.

3] Mattress Protectors - Recently a friend said she always strips the beds in her Airbnb work travel stays. She said on a recent stay somewhere the mattress had many awful stains so she felt the bed was dirty and really wished she had not seen that. It spoiled how she felt about her stay up to that moment.  Making sure everything is sparkling clean is maybe the most important deal (star) breaker! Some guests think they are doing the hosts a favor by stripping the bed (m friend did) or sometimes there are stained sheets and maybe embarrassment or not? So make sure your mattress is not stained (if it is a zippered protective cover will help). I use 2 mattress protectors at all times – to make certain and protect the mattress which I think is the most important furniture in an overnight stay. We have a fabulous Muse sleep bed that everyone seems to totally adore.

4] Lint Rollers - Did you know that most people typically lose between 50 - 100 hairs a day? Any guest will tell you a stray hair/s on their pillow or bed will spoil things very quickly so my “go to” in managing this challenge is Lint Rollers – I lint roll the bedding before stripping and laundering and then after I make the bed I lint roll once again. Making sure to find every single hair. I buy lint rollers in a 4 or 6 pack because more is definitely more and better!

5] Extra Towels - If you search out really good towels at great lower prices you can be generous with guests and leave extras and most often they are not all used. I’d rather have to wash a couple towels after check out than having to deliver more at any given hour. This seems to work out super.

6] Toiletries - Something most hosts work to balance, is what toiletries to put in the bathroom so we decided large pump bottles of body wash, shampoo and conditioner would be eco-friendly, much cheaper and less hassle. No soap bars for the cottage and less clean up.

7] Extra Pillows - The sleep/play experience is the most critical since a large amount of time is typically spent in the beds we all offer.  So I believe it pays to offer extra pillows for each guest – 2 per person, plus a few décor pillows. It looks terrific and adds a touch of luxury for little expense and work. All pillows are first covered in hypoallergenic protective zippered covers and then we use extra soft cotton pillow cases.

These are a few things that work for us and seem to keep those 5 star reviews coming. 

With over 125 - 5 star reviews in 2 yrs, I totally enjoy hosting in Pensacola Florida and learning from and sharing with others about their hosting experiences. The Community Center has been a real blessing of people, information and advice, a wonderful community we can all celebrate being part of. Please share any of your tips, and life hacks you have found, below.

Happy Hosting and Many Blessings, Clara

89 Replies 89
Sandra2044
Level 2
Bolwarra, Australia

Hi my name is Sandra.

I loved reading all the above ideas for our BnB. Some were in place already.

One thing I always make sure of is supplying is little sandwich zipper bags individually rolled up with pretty ribbon tied around them I put them in a glass, about 6 in a glass in the toilet area. We also have a bin with a bag. This I find is a great idea for our ladies.

Thank you

Bovin--and-Gael-0
Level 2
Bangkok, Thailand

thank you Clara for sharing, I will surely start to implement to write the name of our guests on their arrival 

thanks from Siem Reap Cambodia 

Gael & Bovin 

Chastity3
Level 8
Orlando, FL

I have a second property in which I will leave welcome cards with the guest names written in them. Its not a chalkboard, but still a special touch. 

In my current private room airbnb, I provide what you've stated and a little more- snacks! Room has bottles of water and snacks which my guests have appreciated. Thanks for sharing.

Totally agree. I buy lint rollers in bulk because guest hair is so tenacious. Also a yellow spiky thing to get the hair out of the bathtub drain. Guests have not minded the large pump bottles of shampoo, conditioner and bodywash. I leave an extra roll of toilet paper in plain site (and have more in the closet). Also extra towels and pillows if needed are in the closet.

But above all - the name greeting on the whiteboard at the front door has made a huge difference in people feeling welcome. 

Great tips I've learned along the way from hosts like you!

Spring34
Level 2
Richland, WA

How often do you wash the pillow protectors?

I’m thinking with every guest.  Just like the mattress protectors-I just ordered a whole set 20-for every pillow to be able to turn it over quicker. How are you doing this? 

Recommends? 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Mentioning @Clara116 here so she can see you post @Spring34 !

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Hi @Spring34 I wash the pillow protectors about every week or two. Most of my folks stay atleast 3-7 nights....after every 2 bookings - unless there was obvious stains or stuff on the  pillowcases and then for sure they get washed. I wash the top mattress protector and the second is on next to the zippered up mattress incasement. I wash it every few weeks. 

smart thinking to have extras - I do the same it is wonderful if you can do that. Happy Hosting, Clara

UPDATE: 8/22/22

Since Covid I realized that pillow covers/cases - all throw pillows everything needs to be washed with every guest. Without exception - I will continue washing everything no matter what! 

So I got rid of all throw pillows without zippers/ and all throws/anything and everything gets washed after EACH and every booking. 

When I read about hosts/ or hotels that wash their duvet covers ONLY when they are dirty I felt ill. 

With so many viruses everywhere we have to be much more intentional - with cleaning, with what's in our Airbnb and think about the next guests arriving. They put trust in us. This is another reason I don't give discounts/reduced prices and I do not feel the least urge to do that. I am not skimping on anything for my guests so its important that they understand that. 

For many people cheap/ dirt cheap prices bring many people that hold little or no respect for what tidy, clean, neat - stand for or even mean. I do not encourage that nor wish to host them.

Happy Hosting - be well and be safe! Wishing you all success in your ventures.

Clara

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

I hate when guests "strip the bed"! Why do they do that? I'm 53 and I have never heard of someone paying to stay the night somewhere and then removing all the bed linens in the morning? It's an absolutely crazy & unnecessary thing to do. Luckily maybe only 10% of my guests do this. It doesn't HELP me at all. I have my routine of cleaning and guests stipping the bed, upsets that. 

@Donald28  I'm with you absolutely...hate it when they strip the linens. It doesn't happen much as my house manual says please leave the bedding...you have paid for this service. My experience has been that they want to hid stains when they strip and fold...I've found the worse of stains in those stripped beds. I also want to make sure and begin the stain check and my treatment of stain removal immediately.. funny thing I've had folks say I'm helping the host by stripping the bed. Not! Imagine how often we would have to replace the bedding if guests had access to stripping and throwing the linens in the wash. I will never use sheets that have stains so I'd be in big trouble. Blessings from Florida. Hope you are well, Clara

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I have to admit, I was one of ... THOSE people @Donald28 @Clara116 .

I thought I was saving my host a task, how wrong I've discovered I was by being on the CC! 

The only bed wants stripping is my own from now on!

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Stephanie  thanks for admitting to it Stephanie!  Yes, many mattresses have most probably gone without protection and that has to be a very ugly discovery for certain. Esp. after sleeping several nights in a place thought to be sparkling clean. That can certainly put a bad taste and spin on the whole Airbnb experience. 

Blessings, Clara

I hate it too // maybe they think they are helping or they want to check the condition of the mattress protector ???LOL 

@Clara116  just stumbled on your post!  Thanks for sharing!  What type of amenities do you provide in the bathroom?  I am just doing big bottles of branded shampoo, conditioner, body wash, Neutrogena make up remover packets, and hand soap.  Is there anything else I need to provide?

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Yiwei3 Thanks! Looks like you are offering what is required plus some. Hair dryer is very useful for lots of guests. I do offer a few extras but you don't have to. I have also, large pump bottles like you with body wash, shampoo and conditioner.....I have some jars of cotton balls, q tips, toothbrushes/paste...and a few other items that folks often leave.

I do have a basket with First Aid Kit - also bug spray, sun block and feminine products. 

One thing I would suggest is Make up towels - I buy cheap wash clothes thin and cheap/different colors from walmart/ or dollar store and put in a container and Label it BIG letters MAKE UP TOWELS - ladies use these instead of my lux towels and I don't want to buy wipes, cause they will often flush them. 

Hope this help. Also hair dryer!!  Happy Hosting and good luck, blessings, Clara