[Festival] Hosting while having a big dog

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

[Festival] Hosting while having a big dog

Stephanie_1-1629815085980.png

Stephanie_0-1629815002680.pngThis topic is part of the CC Festival of Hospitality

The original topic was posted on the Italian-speaking Community Center by @Maria-Rossella0   and we have translated it below. 

-----

Good morning everyone! I've been a host (or rather... I'm showing off now, a Super Host) for a long time and, unlike most hosts, I host in the house I've lived in for decades with my husband and dog.

I am the daughter of a veterinarian/trainer and, at my birth, my future dog, Frida, a wolf, was at the foot of the bed. I therefore grew up with dogs and cats at home (psychology states and teaches that those who grow up with animals always have "an extra

gear") and they complete my character, my life, my being as I am.

The experience I offer you is much discussed in the forums and, for many, it is very important: hosting despite having animals.

I have always had dogs and I would absolutely not give them up; I pointed out this need and passion of mine to my husband before we got married and he gladly accepted and I would NEVER, for any reason, giv

e up my dog and that NEVER...  says everything !!!

In 1969, I got my first dog (super breed, super farm... present from my father), then the recovery of only "small dogs" began... and then **bleep**, a 50-kg wolf abandoned near a barn (a super dog... two nights after arriving, he "saved" our daughter from an attack by climbing on the attacker's shoulders). 

Then Dylan, a brown and white spinning top (in a box on the bank of a stream) absolutely independent and called, in the neighbourhood, the "Duke" for his attitude: the only dog who travelled on scooters and motorbikes/enduros, the only one who "made faces" according to our behaviour, went fishing in the city wherever there was some probable "girlfriend". 

Then it was the turn of a splendid orange half-breed, Cookie, who arrived from Campania... a joy, a crazy love... gone too soon, and now, for four years, Rex, an Alsatian shepherd rescued in the province of Lecce, brought here in terrible conditions, a fortune spent on him and now a marvel!!!

Rex… is a Host par excellence, welcomes everyone happily, smells them, smells their luggage, offers them the ball and, after that work is done, retires to bed with dignity. Rex is very named and photographed on our account, with a warning that we cannot and do not want to host any allergic or fearful person; above all he is our priority, nothing is done that cannot be done with him, but our rooms are always "full", almost everyone who loves animals or, at least, can "tolerate them"; but I have written everywhere that our animals (even Tata, our tortoise found one night on the sidewalk, reported to the Prefecture and who now roams around the house like a dog, sniffing the feet of guests to get to know them.... she is short after all!) they are NOT to be touched, they are to be respected, and that we will pay special attention so that they do not bother the guests. 

But NEVER, I say NEVER, touch an animal badly... I could become much worse and much more ferocious than an animal itself, but it has never been necessary.

To the very rare guests who ask me to lock up the dog when they arrive, I still reply that there are many hosts who do not have animals and, to those who ask me to bring their dogs, I always say yes, as long as they are very obedient... and, yes, it is true, cleaning is more tiring and requires much more attention and time, but there is no better friend or relative than a four-legged animal and cleaning their droppings is much easier than cleaning human passage.

I'll tell you a lot more... come here and let's have a chat!

Maria Rossella

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

4 Replies 4
Loni56
Level 10
Santa Catarina, Brazil

legal este amor por animais

eu não tenho mais todos os hóspedes querem trazer eu aceito

entendo a importância. para eles!

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Maria-Rossella0   Oh how wonderful - love your passion for all the living creatures especially dogs. Your story is one of great wonder and of course you love and respect and cherish your animals. I think animal people are special people. 

I too am a dog lover and have 2 male dogs almost always - I didn't plan it, but always works out they are all rescue dogs. We were raised with Dutchess a brilliant german shepard that looks so much like Rex. She protected all 5 of us and we loved her beyond belief.  I was a career woman traveling the world over and didn't have my own dog until later in life when returning to my birth place and got  my first dog....that was 25 yrs ago and that sweet dog was with me 15 yrs. my ever present sidekick and most precious little beauty...he would go to Hospice with me for years and comfort the dying patients. Kobi, I called him will forever be in my heart along with the little guys that have followed him, Jacky Chan, Jessi, Henry Ashton they are also gone but not forgotten. Now I am allowed to live here with Eddie and Bentley and my husband David - I too can not imagine life without a dog but I don't allow my boys around guests - Guests have the cottage out back, completely fenced from our home. You see Eddie thinks he must protect me although only 10 lbs. (4.5kg)  he acts like a huge dog. He doesn't bite but sounds like he might - many of the guests wanna see & pet them and those folks get a warm greeting over the fence . Bentley has PTSD from his first months of life with a bad owner (in prison now for life) and so Eddie tries to teach Bentley to stand proud and not shy or run away with fear... Bentley is learning to trust after 6 yrs. ..they are a joy each day and I treasure life with them indeed. 

Thank you for reminding me about dogs and the role they can play in hosting and  in the interactions with guests. I understand why so many want to bring dogs with them, cause when I travel its the only part I hate - leaving my boys behind. I am sure its harder on me than on them, haha.

all the best and finest and happy hosting, Clara

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I had a recent guest myself @Clara116 @Maria-Rossella0 

239519458_997556351093296_6184777244362561141_n.jpg240192862_558184271971778_6752841172219475018_n.jpg

He followed Peter around waiting for food to drop!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Stephanie gotta love that for sure! That's what they do!