[Festival] Master a guidebook

Nutth0
Host Advisory Board Member
Chiang Mai, Thailand

[Festival] Master a guidebook

Picture of my own GuidebookPicture of my own GuidebookWhen a guest books an Airbnb listing, no matter where it was, tips and local recommendations always prove useful. 

Of course, guests already have their own plans but I’ve found that a host suggestions can always pleasantly surprise them, especially if your listing is in an unusual location. 

With Airbnb, Hosts can create an Airbnb guidebook and send a link to the guest (If you have multiple listings in the same area you can link it all together so you’ll only need one guidebook). 

It’s worth remembering that everyone, whether your guest or not, can also access the link in the  "Location" section of your listing. Here is my own Airbnb Guidebook.

Screenshot 2019-08-29 at 14.59.54.png

I’ve created my own Airbnb guidebook but I’ve also created an alternate version with Microsoft PowerPoint and saved it in a PDF format. This can be time consuming but I assure you, the return makes it worth it! Here I’ve shared what I’ve done which guests often appreciate… and some also mention it when they write their review!

Please note: my Homestay is 15mins by car to a city center. A breakdown of my guests as follows: 99% was a foreigner traveler -57% from China guests, 10% from America and Korea, 23% from other countries. 

The Benefit of creating your own Guidebook is you can add more details: You may have somehow forgotten to send the guest a message with a frequently asked question that you are used to having to always answer. You can keep all of that information in your guidebook for the guest to refer to. But remember, you should not include anything about your privacy or security like a WiFi password or your house plan. 

• Directions: I would encourage you to write the details of how to get to your place and any transportation tips (like bus routes or specifics for an Uber driver) as if anything changes on the day, the guest has those details ahead of time.

• House rules: You need to make sure at least a guest know you have them and they must be stuck to. Check-in or out process can be added. 

• Facilities: Specific things like how to use your gas stove, how to turn on the TV, or how to use your washing machine. It may seem obvious but after you have to host for a while, you will realize what frequent a question these are!

• Emergency contact: for you, specific trusted people or hospital nearby.guide 2.png

After you’ve got your own Guidebook prepared, there’s more you need to do with it:

1. Most importantly… let the guest know that you have it! 

It seems basic but most guests need to use Airbnb a couple of times before they know this function, and 58% of my guests have 0 or 1 review. Every time I got a booking, I will send my guidebook to my guest via link or email. In my experience, if you host Chinese guests you may need to ask them for a specific email as they didn't provide it to Airbnb. (It will be number like 1234XXXX@qq.com)

2. A digital format is great but to get top marks, you’ll want a printed version. 

You should have at least 1 copy in the guest room. A lot of guests may not be interested when you send it the first time but after check-in it’s another story,  especially for the senior guest, as they love to read. Personally, I print it out as a booklet to enhance the look! It turns out that booklet is like a game-changer for me as it helps me a lot in reducing my pool location thumb’s down chances, as it shows the area the guest will not have known about without it. A word to the wise: if your book looks very nice a guest may take it as a souvenir. It’s happened to me twice so be sure to message them to return when at check-out.

3. Suggesting local places.

Don't just use information from a Google! Check it out for yourself, go there, experienced it, take photos and write about it. I do meet the owner and introduce myself. When I’ve got a guest that’s interested in shopping, I’ll message a local shop owner or go there with them. It takes time but some of my guests say to me “I feel like I am now in Chiang Mai as the shop owner didn't treat me as a customer but as my friend.” On top of this, if you become a well-known in your neighborhood you can transform these ideas into Experiences.

4. More than just a room

If you can turn your neighbourhood into guest experiences you are now offering something bigger than a room, and believe it or not, guests know that. The Guidebook may not be appreciated by every guest but for those that do you will receive a great review and it will encourage other guests to book that will suit your host style. It will lead to guests who are looking for a different experience.

5. More income

I also host Airbnb Experiences so in my guidebook I also mention about my activities. Believe it or not, 10% of my guests book both the house and experiences! So if you also have your own business you should add it as some guests may also be interested in checking it out.

My guest and a chef, cooking together in our neighbourhood restaurant.My guest and a chef, cooking together in our neighborhood restaurant.My guest and a chef, cooking together in our neighborhood restaurant.

Thanks for reading, why don't you give making your own Guidebook a try! To create your own guidebook, go to this link:  https://www.airbnb.com/manage-guidebook

Screenshot 2019-08-29 at 15.13.45.pngIf you are interested to see my Microsoft Powerpoint created guidebook kindly download here 

Happy Hosting! 

~Nutthguide 6.png

9 Replies 9
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Thanks @Nutth0 for such a thoughtful and enjoyable post! I have an electronic guidebook and have started to add extra with the intention of making a hard copy. Thanks for making me feel motivated to make this a project! I think this will be my low season project!

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute @Nutth0

Thank you so much for sharing these helpful informations. 

Thanks, 

Miloud

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Nutth0  Thanks for a very enjoyable post. With much thought for certain. Great ideas and tips for others. Your ideas and cleaver insight into taking many steps further into Experiences is brilliant. Many thanks and blessings to you and yours, Clara

Ann268
Level 2
Cambridge, MA

Nice presentation.  Your guide has motivated me to do the same.  Thanks. Ann

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks @Nutth0  for sharing.

Have you considered having some Guidebooks printed off or perhaps some locally printed tourist brochures so Guest can take them home as a souvenier ?

When I hosted Thai language students and other students learning English here in New Zealand I used to gift them a present so they would have a momento to remind them of their stay.

To me it was a small way of saying thanks and goodwill which I do know from experience the Thai people also do when staying abroad in someone's home.

Your contribution has reminded me of the many treasured memories the Thai people and I all shared together.

All the best

Central To All Home & Location

Auckland

New Zealand

Nutth0
Host Advisory Board Member
Chiang Mai, Thailand

@Helen427 @Thanks for a great idea. I do have the house postcards for a thank you 🙂 

So much appreciated that you have good experience with Thai guest. I visit South-New Zealand on 2017.... So beautiful!! 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is amazing @Nutth0!!!

Thank you for sharing!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Pauline441
Level 2
Durban, ZA

Thank you very informative and Inspiring. I have a printed guidebook that i created that i leave for guests to go through together with house rules etc. And welcome basket and card  but i like the idea of sending them an electronic version prior to their arrival. Thank you Pauline South Africa 

Bovin--and-Gael-0
Level 2
Bangkok, Thailand

Thanks Khun Nutth for sharing, I do have as well a printed guidebook but never thought of sending them through email prior arrival, nice idea

Best regards

Gael & Bovin