[Festival] The common language of Anime

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

[Festival] The common language of Anime

anime 2.jpg

Screenshot 2019-08-29 at 10.49.25.pngThis is part of the CC Festival of hospitality, original topic created in the Japanese speaking Community Center, by Michiko2and translated below.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello. My name is Michiko and I host in Chiba, Japan.

We welcome guests from all over the world and learn about the daily life of foreign countries through communication with guests in casual conversation.

Among the topics, “Japanese Animation”, which I don’t usually follow, surprises me often because of the high consumption of Japanese anime abroad. 

One of the guests from abroad had grown-up watching only Japanese anime from childhood and had been influenced by anime in the process forming their personality. They heard stories that anime had a strong motivation for people to study in Japan - I have a lot of guests that do, and I feel that it contributes greatly to international exchange.

I would like to share, from my experience, what kind of anime the guests are enjoying right now. First of all, “Your name(君の名は。,Kimi no na ha)” is a super famous one from creator Makoto Shinkai. This is what a Portuguese guest had recently watched, saying “It’s not like most!” Reference: official site of “your name”

A graduate student from China had decided to study to Japan due to the influence of the animation studio, Kyoto Animation. One of the best anime he recommended was the title called “Hyouka”. “Hyouka” means “ice cream” in Japanese. In the story, a lead character participates in the schools classic literature club and ends up having very tough experiences which cause him to scream. “I scream!”. He shouts this as a pun similar to the English for “ice cream”.  

anime 3.jpg

Reference:Official site “HYOUKA”

The guest explained that the secret of the title is this pun. This guest often has dinner while we watch various Kyo-ani works together. I was also interested in studying unique, foreign animation styles, and I read “Red“ comics on Kindle, but even some Japanese people are not as familiar with anime and movies as those overseas. I was surprised at the width and depth of knowledge.

Also, I received an email from a Chinese guest about the fact that there’s many thoughts about the anime “Wolf Children(おおかみこどもの雨と雪,Okamikodomo no ame to yuki)”. In China, what parents and teachers say is absolute. Since she was raised in an environment where parents decide everything about their children's lives, including careers and marriage partners, she was very surprised that in the anime, children choose their own way of life without parent’s instructions. I felt intrigued in that point of view. anime 4.jpg

Reference: Official site “Wolf children”

Another popular anime is “Case closed(名探偵コナン,Meitantei Conan)“, which was a Vietnamese graduate student guest’s most favorite. He told me that his parents would be angry about him reading the comic instead of studying so he laughed saying that he would read in the toilet in secret.anime 5.png

Case Closed volume 36 by Viz Media

Since my listing is near the university, many people stay here to take the exam from abroad. For those who stayed for about a month to take the University of Tokyo examination, “Chibi Maruko-chan” was a big favorite, and their suitcases had Chibi Maruko-chan's oversized stickers on them.

When I held a dinner party with the guests “Saint Seiya” was a hot topic as everyone enjoyed it in their respective countries. The music we listened to was Neon Genesis Evangelion - “Cruel Angel's Thesis”. Even though we spoke different languages, we had a wonderful time in the common language of Anime.

I knew vaguely that Japanese anime is popular around the world, but I feel that people overseas have discovered the goodness of anime in a deep and meaningful way that even Japanese people don't do so much. Some of the guests mentioned that they had become fluent in Japanese because they watched anime. To know the revelation of Japanese anime across national borders is a great pleasure.

I will continue to do my best as a “home share” aiming for a global society where I can bond with the world from various perspectives, not just anime!

Thank you.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

10 Replies 10
Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute, 

Thank you for these interesting topic and videos. 

Thanks, 

Miloud

Thank you so much for your feedback on my post.

Glad to hear you like it.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Michiko2 thanks very much for a very curious post. Something I had wondered about but not really checked out. Do you think that a lot of Anime is rebellious or rebels in their world or in their family culture? 

It is interesting, so thanks for sharing. Best, Clara

A lot  of the children love the Disney Animations like "Frozen" ,  "Toy Story" and among other things, as well as the J-anime here in Japan.

In my opinion, many of the Disney Animations are created from classical fairy tales while in  the world of J-anime, many of the heroes are kind of "nerd", which does not always have negative meanings: they chase a dream and do what they really want to do, though it might be fantastic, totally unexpected and amazing.

Nutth0
Host Advisory Board Member
Chiang Mai, Thailand

@Michiko2  I have to say all our childhood is read a Japanese Manga... That why my first solo trip in 2008 is also Japan. By the way, Makoto Shinkai is a real master! also with Studio Ghibli. I once host an animator and we have a lot of fun to chat our favorite animation.

P. S. If somehow, you city have a location in some animation don't forget to let your guest know and it was a super interesting for them especially from Makoto's movie. 

Michiko2
Level 6
Chiba, Japan

It is so curious that you had  a guest who is an animator.

Makoto Shinkai's newest movie was released on 19th in July in 2019 and the title is "Weathering With You (天気の子) ”.  Shinkai says, "In the title of Weather it means storm, rain and snow and also implies overcoming the hardship."   

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing @Michiko2

Love Detective Conan 🙂

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Thank you so much for Dutch-speaking community!

Joy298
Level 10
Sydney, Australia

@Michiko2 Hi Michiko,

日本の文化大好き!アニメとドラマから日本語を学びました。

日本語のリスティングまで書きました。でも、残念なから、また日本からのお客様会ったことないです。

Michiko2
Level 6
Chiba, Japan

ありがとうございます。

日本語でリスティングを書いていただいたなんて素晴らしいです‼️

これからも、日本のアニメやドラマ、御贔屓にお願いいたします。