[Festival] Tips for hosting business guests

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

[Festival] Tips for hosting business guests

Screenshot 2019-08-28 at 11.47.19.png

Screenshot 2019-08-28 at 11.39.50.pngThis is part of the CC Festival of hospitality, original topic created in the Portuguese speaking Community Center, by @Beatriz98 and translated below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not all trips are the same. My studios are in São Paulo and rented by business travelers most of the time. This type of guest, has little time to do many things. It is therefore essential they have a great night’s sleep to have a productive day, plus they always want quick and accurate information. Many of my guests come back and book with me.

In the condominium where I have two units, twenty-five apartments are rented for short-term rentals per season and I’ve discovered what sets me apart, and makes some professional guests prefer to book mine. 

I'll share five tips on how to host business travelers, but I won't talk here about the basic amenities I already offer, such as wi-fi, smart tv, mineral water, sugar, salt and so on. I’ll go beyond that. I look forward to receiving feedback from other hosts on what differentiates them as well.

Here are my tips:

1-Electronic Lock: Offer a self check-in, the guest can check in without requiring the presence of the host. This is essential for convenience, discretion and autonomy. Here in the community there is a topic on smart locks that can help anyone who wants to know about it.

IMG_7175.jpg

2- Quality blackout curtain: What good does a decorative curtain do if it doesn't keep the light out? This item combined with the use of a great mattress makes for a good quality of sleep, so your guest can have a more "productive" day.

IMG_7169.jpg

3 - Bed linen: In bed I use set of all white bed linen, which is impeccably clean and fragrant. Once, a guest reported that the "white" made him feel comfortable that it was indeed clean. To get a good night's sleep, I also invest in great cleaning products to wash. Plus, at the end of the bed, I give a final touch; I use a soft and perfumed spray on the bedspread and pillows. There is a discussion about bed linen with some tips here in the community, if interested.

4- Hygiene itemsI offer amenities that can be used for at least 3 to 4 baths (shampoo, conditioner and soaps). I also leave a disposable toothbrush and, at least, 4 rolls of toilet paper of the same quality that I use at home - no matter the number of days of rental, because even if the guest does not use all this, I know that you can count on these items being there if a guest decides to return, or there is a last minute reservation, which are very common in business trips.

errg.jpg

What the girls love are the "wet wipes" with a reminder that they are for removing makeup. I buy baby wipes because they are cheaper and avoid guests making sun cream stains or makeup on the bed linen and towels, so I have fewer problems with stains, especially with the towels.

5- Espresso machine: I think it makes a lot of difference for speed and practicality. I usually leave four capsules for arrival, and now some of my guests bring their favorite capsules. It's no different to offering an electric coffee maker. It's worth the investment!

IMG_7170.jpg

6- Plastic folder with information and addresses: even with Google helping us with everything, guests report that it makes it easier for them to have a little folder with useful information. I provide quick access to, market phones, drugstore, the phone number of a good pizza place, food delivery, subway map and even the contact of a Uber driver who speaks English.

Now, tell us your secrets too!  

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

11 Replies 11
Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

This is brilliant, thank you.

What gets in the way of us hosting for business is poor wifi.

Are there alternatives you could recommend @Beatriz98 ?

Hey @Mike-And-Helen0 !!

Glad you liked !!

If it is not possible to increase your wifi quality or even to find different solutions with your local operator ,I would suggest co-working and coffee shops addresses near the apartment where your guests could get connected.

Thank you!

Beatriz

Thank you @Beatriz98  in Brazil for sharing.

I had a polite, good humored, friendly gentleman from Brazil stay in my home last year when he was here in Auckland studying English.

@Mike-And-Helen0 @Beatriz98 

Whilst from time to time I have guests who require Wifi I have at the ready some of the places where they may be able to use it in my local area or when out and about.

If you are unable to get Wifi, or provide it in your home, inquire around and include where it's accessible from for your Guests so they can better prepare their stay in your Home & location.

On the flip side it's appreciated by my guests to detox and take time away from the internet and read a book or chat or have a wander around my neighbourhood where there's always something to see or do.

All the Best

@Helen427 ,

Excellent considerations !! 

Thank you!

Beatriz

@Mike-And-Helen0 I saw your question about Wifi and this might not apply to helping you???

but we have our electronics in our home and our cottage is connected out back - a distance away and what we did to help with wifi is bought an Extender......its by Netgear called Powerline Wifi - it works through the electrical system and it is brilliant - just plug it in the electric socket inside our home.....and the other plug is outback in the cottage....... it gives a huge boost and the cottage has great wifi speed and use. You didn't say what the problem was - but for faster boost this works and the cost is really ok. good luck, Clara

Hey! I know with some companies you can get a portable device with an internet plan. I usually give that to my guest as a backup if the wifi connection is down for some reason. Hope this helps. 

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute @Beatriz98

Thank you so much for sharing these helpful hosting tips. 

Thanks, 

Miloud

@Miloud0 , 

Glad you enjoyed it !!

Thanks, 🙂

Beatriz
Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute @Beatriz98

Thank you also. 

Thanks, 

Miloud

hi and thank you for the tips you have listed. I am always interested in what is working well for other hosts. I have recently started to aim at the business guest now that the summer season has ended, in addition to the extras you have advised I have also added a desk, printer / photocopier and a few other essential office stationary items. This was such a great hit with my first business guest that stayed they booked my apartment for another two weeks.

thank you

Paul

Perfect @Paul1974  ! Offering differentiated items, as you do, will surely bring you a great return. Thanks for adding tips here.

Beatriz