[Festival] Tips for renting a beachfront property

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

[Festival] Tips for renting a beachfront property

Beachfront 1.jpg

Screenshot 2019-08-29 at 16.34.02.png

This is part of the CC Festival of hospitality, original topic created in the Spanish speaking Community Center, by @Antonio Luis1 and translated below.

----------------------------------------------------------------

A beachfront location is a great advantage when renting a property in Airbnb. Surely this is the reason why many guests have chosen our listing and it is our obligation as hosts to offer them all the comforts we can afford and the best information possible. 

In my experience managing a beachfront apartment for two in Malaga, southern Spain, these are some of the points I would advise you to keep in mind for your hosts.

Accessories and tips for the beach

Even before we ask our guests what kind of trip they expect, we already know something about them; they want to go to the beach. If they weren't interested in the beach, they could have chosen another property for a lower price. That's our chance to make sure that this part of their experience, spending the day at the beach, is excellent.

As locals, we know the beach well and are able to give you all the information, such as what are the best parts? What are our favourite restaurants and what do we usually ask for? Do we have to reserve a table? Is there a better time than another to visit? Is there any safety information? Are there sun loungers for rent? Are there water activities?  All of our experience can be condensed into a few very valuable tips.

Nor can we forget all the accessories that can make your visit to the beach more comfortable, fun and enjoyable. I leave these compliments at the disposal of the guests:

• Beach towels: Beach towels take up quite a lot. If we make our guests bring theirs, they will lose space in the suitcase. What's worse, if we don't provide them with beach towels, they might use the house towels.

• Beach chairs: Hammocks can be rented on many beaches, but they have an additional cost. Having your own beach chairs will save guests money and they will be able to place them wherever they want.

• Umbrella: The shade of a parasol is much appreciated in the hours of intense sunshine. A good umbrella with UV protection will not cost us too much and will suppose a clear improvement.

• Snorkel kit: Most guests will not be divers, but they will undoubtedly have a good time with goggles and a tube watching fish. In addition, there are diving masks that cover the entire face and are comfortable and easy to use.

• Beach Games: If a sport is being played on your beach, it will make your guests feel like they play the same game as the locals. In my case, I'll leave them some bats, a frisbee, petanque and other throwing games. 

• Picnic Set: Preparing something to eat for the day at the beach is a great option, and to make it easier it's a good idea to leave them the same thing you would use for a picnic at the beach or in the park: a tablecloth, the right cutlery and plates, airtight food containers or a refrigerated bag to keep drinks cold.

Air conditioning and electricity consumption

Good air conditioning is important for a good stay. If with fans you can get a pleasant air temperature, perfect! But you will likely need the support of an air conditioning system. Unfortunately, some guests are not too aware of the high electricity consumption that these appliances can have and the effect it has on the electricity bill. The following has worked well for me:

• Install an exclusive electricity meter for air conditioning. This will provide information on how much air conditioning is used. We use this data when establishing our prices and pass on the cost.

• That the machine is energy efficient and has a high rating as A++.

• Ask them to use it responsibly. I tell them to use it as long as they need it, but turn it off when they leave home and make sure their windows are closed.

If the electricity consumption is still disproportionate, there are some systems to disconnect the machine when no presence is detected in the space or the door of the house opens and prevents them from leaving it connected when leaving.

Beachfront 2.jpg

Cleaning and insects

Sand

It is normal for guests to bring sand from the beach. Leaving them the necessary cleaning items will make them more comfortable and it will take us less time to make the space perfect for our next guest. Usually, a broom, a dustpan and a mop will be enough; but if you have the necessary space and the rates allow it, leaving them a robot vacuum cleaner is a perfect solution.

In any case, it is essential that in the cleaning period between guests we check that everything is perfect and without a grain of sand. In order to make the task easier for you and to ensure that the state of the space is as good as possible, it is advisable to have hard and resistant floors that do not deteriorate with water or sand.

Tanning stains

It's also normal for guests to stain your sheets, towels, sofas, cushions or bedspreads with uncomfortable oily sunscreen stains. You'll have to assume it’s part of the job, and have spares for all the textile pieces such as cushions or sofa covers.

Insects

Hot and humid climates are wonderful for insects and can be very annoying for travelers. Each destination will have its own: here we have ants and mosquitoes. In another place they will be cockroaches, spiders or snakes. It is important to take all necessary measures to prevent insects from being a negative point in the experience:

• Checking entry points, such as cracks, and maintaining good cleanliness is essential. It is very convenient to warn guests of this and ask them not to leave food traces that may attract insects, as well as to warn them to use mosquito nets or mosquito repellents if they are not available.

• It is necessary to be very careful with the use of pest control, as much for the risks to health as well as for the environmental impact, and for that reason it’s always necessary to use products for domestic use and to respect the times of when you apply it. If the problem gets out of hand, it will be necessary to call a professional pest control company.

• Even if some of these nuisances may take place outside our property, it is also advisable to inform guests. For example, in 2018 there were many jellyfish in Malaga and it was necessary to warn them to be attentive and how to act if they were stung by one.

Beachfront 3.jpg

Climate expectations. Ready for bad weather

At the beach destinations our guests expect a good climate. It is normal that expectations are met and that all guests are satisfied. However, it can also happen that some of them have bad luck and the weather is horrible, so you have to be well prepared and have alternatives to offer them if they are going to spend more time at home. 

Here's what I do:

• Leave them books, travel guides, board games like chess, cards, dice or dominoes. 

• Have a big enough TV with Smart-TV and international channels.

• Have on hand interesting plans to make when it rains and send these recommendations to your guests if you see that the weather forecast is bad.

For example suggest museums, exhibitions, cinemas in original version, live music shows, restaurants or guided tours. Sometimes, these days when the guest’s plans to visit the more touristic options of the city are broken they can connect much more with the culture of the area. 

Beachfront 4.jpg

Special events: informing in advance

As locals of the city we know which are the most important dates in which the functioning of the city changes. This is usually the case in summer, with local festivals or popular verbenas.

If the reservation of our guests coincides with one of these dates, it will be very useful that we let them know what is going to happen and when. Giving them this information ahead of time will help them plan their trip better. For example, if we know that on certain dates there will be many streets cut off, it will be better not to rent a car and use public transport. 

Informing them about holidays will also help. If the usual supermarket is closed on the day of our guests' arrival because it is a holiday, we can recommend a convenience store that is open. Likewise, if we know that they have an idea to visit museums, it will be convenient for us to find out which ones are closed.

Beachfront 5.jpg

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

11 Replies 11
Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

Great tips @Antonio Luis1  ! You really thought of everything!

Lana15
Level 4
Cannon Rocks, South Africa

I really love your post. 

We also keep books on local birds and shells and plants as well as binoculars for guests to watch dolphins amd whales. 

There is also a display of shells as examples . 

We also advise on fishing hotspots and bait and what sizes of fish and perlemoen is legally permitted to take out. 

Our guests are encouraged not to pick up any eggs or creatures from the rockpools to bring to the house. 

Safety in the sea and the tide tables are important as well as tips to avoid quicksand in the rivermouths. 

I find hosting at beachfront a big responsibility . .Our guests must enjoy..not get injured or sunburnt and only leave their footprints afterwards. 

We advise them to carry their phones if they would need help on the beach trails . 

I also have an emergency box for bluebottle stings ..should it happen.

Fishing trips and beachrides on horseback are very popular in our area. 

Game drives are highlights of the stay and we include local parks routes and regulations regarding animals and safety. 

We encourage guests to put their beach shoes outside as clogged shower drains and washing machine outlets can ruin a stay. 

Feet can be rinsed at the foot of the stairs in small plastic tubs or with short hose connected to our rainwater system. .

Windy days are perfect for flying kites which can be bought locally and encourages outside play even when the weather is playing up and kids become impatient indoors. 

Happy Beachfront hosting !

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute, 

Thanks for these helpful ideas 

Thanks, 

Miloud

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Antonio-Luis0  Wonderful post for certain. Seems you have covered every aspect for those hosting a beach property. You have a road map here for hosts and I hope many will see and use your terrific tips and pointers. I will share this with our FB group of host . Thanks and happy hosting, Clara

Antonio-Luis0
Level 10
Málaga, Spain

Thanks for your support @Clara116 , @Miloud0 and @Suzanne302 . I am glad you liked it! 

Antonio-Luis0
Level 10
Málaga, Spain

I love your post too @Lana15!

How many great ideas! I understand that many (either on my side or yours) may only apply in a particular environment, but many of the concepts you mention can be transported to my "kind of beach".

I have just added a kite to the shopping list, how it have never occured to me when I see many of them on windy days! I'll just have to find one that is durable, good priced and easy to use.

Your mention about taking the sand off their feet made me realise that I say nothing my house guide on the beach services (like showers) and how to use them (in example, using soap on beach showers is not allowed). And your line about fishing made me realise also that I should write when fishing is permitted.

And you arised a really important point: respecting the environment. Even if mine is an urban beach, it won't hurt to remind some basics.

Best regards!

Ps: I had a look at your place and that's indeed a beach property. Looks amazing!

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@AntonioLuis0  I spent a week in Malaga a few years ago, a town I had never heard of, and never went to the beach! There was so much to do in this town, there was no reason for me to get too much sun. [I am the daughter of a red-head. Sun is not my friend.]

You have some wonderful ancient sites, museums, restaurants, and public art. While we were there, three cruise ships anchored in the harbor, so sometimes there were too many people in town. But at 4pm, those people disappeared leaving the town a more friendly and calmer place. Oh, and there was a film festival. We had some fun watching "celebrities" walking the red carpets.

Thank you for your thoughts. I hope as you host more and more guests that your preparations are well-received.

How great @Susan151 that you liked Malaga. I love it too.

That's true that Malaga has much more than the beach, but since my apartment is close to the beach, I guess this is one of the main reason to choose it on the summer, if not the would rather go to the old town to be closer to all the places you mention.

The good thing about having more than the beach is that we are able to keep the guest coming during the winter too.

I always wondered how visitors would fell about the film festivals red carpets, provided that they will be mostly unknown to them, but it looks like it is fun to watch the celebrities even if you don't know them.

Hope to see you back someday!

@Antonio-Luis0 wrote:

How great @Susan151 that you liked Malaga. I love it too.

I always wondered how visitors would fell about the film festivals red carpets, provided that they will be mostly unknown to them, but it looks like it is fun to watch the celebrities even if you don't know them.

Oh it was just fun, and gave the town a lively atmosphere. I suspect this sort of thing is annoying for people who are simply trying to get to work, do their shopping and have a normal life. For us, it was part of our pre-meal evening walks.

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Antonio-Luis0  Although I am about 15 minutes from the actual beach, many of my summer guests visit the beach. I get A LOT of sand in my bathroom and find it in my tub when my guests return from a day at the beach.

Do you (or anyone who's reading!) have any suggestions on 1) something I could place outside, and 2) ways to encourage guests to "rinse off" before entering the house after a day at the beach? I know a lot of actual beach houses have outdoor showers, but this is not an option for me.

I've thought about having a hose on the front porch, but not sure if that seems tacky. And not sure how to address it to the guests. It's not a huge problem, but I do wonder about all that sand going down my bathroom pipes......

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute @Antonio-Luis0

Thank you also. 

Thanks, 

Miloud