[Festival] Using Nature to Nurture and de-stress your mind

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

[Festival] Using Nature to Nurture and de-stress your mind

Hosting is like these lambs, a blending of cultures and colours without barriers. Gotland sheep are from Sweden and there felt is used for slippers and shoes.Hosting is like these lambs, a blending of cultures and colours without barriers. Gotland sheep are from Sweden and there felt is used for slippers and shoes.Hello from Helen in New Zealand!

I love hosting because it’s great for our mental and physical well being, to share and enjoy nature and heritage.

Some of my loveliest guests have said they like the details in my listing and that their families helped them decide who to stay with which I think is sweet.

They’ve contributed in their own ways as to how I've evolved in my hosting, as have the fabulous members here in Community Centre. 

Spending time amongst nature is one way of maintaining one’s health. I’ve a wee garden with Monarch Butterflies along with been Centrally located to a variety of gardens and areas where rural life is still present.

Occasionally my guests get to meet and spend time walking my friend’s dog, Zara the Jack Russell who has had a head rub from Prince Harry! 

Zara the Jack Russell Taking time out to tiptoe through the Tulips!  “Shhh, don’t tell Park staff, honest I was only smelling the flowers for my mental wellbeing!”Zara the Jack Russell Taking time out to tiptoe through the Tulips! “Shhh, don’t tell Park staff, honest I was only smelling the flowers for my mental wellbeing!”

I give guests cuttings from my garden & Tulip bulbs that were gifted to the people from Cornwall Park, One Tree Hill, Auckland, New Zealand when there garden staff remove them to replant the garden beds so we can all share the love and beauty of nature to unify as one people in the world.

Tulip and Anemone flowers with the Simmental Cows originally from Switzerland grazing with National Women’s and Greenlane Hospitals in the background at Cornwall Park, One Tree Hill, Auckland.Tulip and Anemone flowers with the Simmental Cows originally from Switzerland grazing with National Women’s and Greenlane Hospitals in the background at Cornwall Park, One Tree Hill, Auckland.

Cornwall Park, One Tree Hill Domain Flower GardenCornwall Park, One Tree Hill Domain Flower Garden

Central To All Home & Location is like a Monarch butterfly… metamorphosing.Central To All Home & Location is like a Monarch butterfly… metamorphosing.

I gift some of my Swan Plants to share the love with our delightful "Monet the Monarch" caterpillars & butterflies.

Swan Plant flowers and Monarch butterflySwan Plant flowers and Monarch butterfly

Screenshot 2019-08-27 at 14.19.22.png

Monarch butterfly resting it’s body between the Geranium leaves, that I grew from a cutting, immediately after it came out of its chrysalis - Guests like a safe & comfortable resting place too.

Milk Station Chrysalis and Monarch caterpillar with Milk Plant Seed PodMilk Station Chrysalis and Monarch caterpillar with Milk Plant Seed Pod

Monarch butterflies enjoy living in my Swan Plant, Geraniums, Lilies, Sweet Peas and Lavender plants. The Sweet Peas were grown from seeds, their pods produce seeds Hosts can share.

gusano 7.jpgIt can take between a couple of minutes to ten minutes for a caterpillar to form into a Chrysalis. Note the butterfly formation and silk spun to balance itself and protect itself from spiders and other insects.It can take between a couple of minutes to ten minutes for a caterpillar to form into a Chrysalis. Note the butterfly formation and silk spun to balance itself and protect itself from spiders and other insects.

Chrysalis go into a darkened state a couple of days before they transform into a Butterfly.Chrysalis go into a darkened state a couple of days before they transform into a Butterfly.

Male Monarchs have two black markings on their wings / Female butterflies which don’t can lay up to 1000 eggs.Male Monarchs have two black markings on their wings / Female butterflies which don’t can lay up to 1000 eggs.

Honey Bee and Female Monarch butterfly close encounter on Lavender flower in the gardenHoney Bee and Female Monarch butterfly close encounter on Lavender flower in the garden

Bumble Bee on my Mexican DaisyBumble Bee on my Mexican Daisy

Central To All Home & Location is close to Cornwall Park / One Tree Hill Domain, Auckland where Irish settlor, Thomas Henry, created one of the original farms which is to remain in perpetuity as a Domain for the betterment of all New Zealand people.

It’s a friendly place where one can mix with nature, see lambs & sheep, pat the calves, cows & bulls, enjoy flowers from all nations, play archery, cricket, rugby league and relax away from the hustle and bustle of city life.

This lamb was just born and taking its first steps. Isn’t nature amazingly beautiful?This lamb was just born and taking its first steps. Isn’t nature amazingly beautiful?

Lamb rounding up the Ducks and Ducklings to safety in the other paddockLamb rounding up the Ducks and Ducklings to safety in the other paddock

Baby calf meets it’s dad the bull whilst it’s mother the cow restsBaby calf meets it’s dad the bull whilst it’s mother the cow rests

Screenshot 2019-08-27 at 14.38.25.png

Guest Corrin, NYC, USA, who had not seen lambs since she was a child, making new friends on our visit to the Park. We nicknamed these bottle fed lambs Louis, Henry, William, George and Arthur. They are all Rams growing up and still recognise Zara and myself.

It’s fun to incorporate Guests in day to day life in one’s location.

Our Guests mental health and well-being is important to, animals and nature can help one relax and ease homesickness.

Do you take your Guests to places they may not have experienced before?

Kowhai Tree, New Zealand Native Tree, Cornwall Park where you may see Tui birds,Kowhai Tree, New Zealand Native Tree, Cornwall Park where you may see Tui birds,

Screenshot 2019-08-27 at 14.41.05.png

When Guests wake up in a different place they can be like a newborn animal waking up to new surroundings.

“Maaa, that was a great sleep, Baa, nice to meet you!”

This twin lamb a couple of days old woke up with a yawn whilst its companion kept one eye open on watch.

New Zealand is known for woollen products like carpet and clothing. We used to have more sheep than people.

Hosting guests who have chosen to stay with me in my home & share an interest in history and stories is a passion I enjoy. 

Forget-me-Not flowers and Periwinkle planted on Mount Hobson Domain are some of the self  regenerating Botanicals gifted to New Zealand people by David Hay and Son, Montepellier Nursery in the 1880’s so future generations would not have to worry about financial expenses in the years ahead.

Flowers of all nations were planted in areas for our betterment, so we would all feel Welcome and at home wherever we are in the world and originated from.

Do you have an area in your location like that to share with your Guests?

If not, help create one, 2019 is 100 years since the start of the Peace Commemorations after World War 1 ended.

Forget-Me-Nots with Honey Bee and CinerariasForget-Me-Nots with Honey Bee and Cinerarias

Screenshot 2019-08-27 at 14.47.00.png

Periwinkle, one of Her Majesty The Queen’s favourite flowers on a tree that fell over during a storm in the 1930’s, The Depression era, left to decompose naturally where centipedes, millipedes, lichen and other species make their home.

The remains of a Living Fence, a Hedgerow Rose, on the boundary of Mount Hobson, Dilworth Avenue entrance.The remains of a Living Fence, a Hedgerow Rose, on the boundary of Mount Hobson, Dilworth Avenue entrance.

Mount Hobson is named after New Zealand’s first Governor Captain William Hobson. His Grave is in the Symonds Street Cemetery where they are undertaking a restoration project.

Dilworth Avenue is named after James Dilworth, who once owned Mt Hobson and gifted land for a school for disadvantaged boys. He is buried in the nearby St Marks Anglican Church grounds where one can reflect on how those early settlers before us lived in much more challenging times.

Botanicals in Exhibition Hall Gardens, Auckland DomainBotanicals in Exhibition Hall Gardens, Auckland Domain

I’m very thankful we have access to fabulous newspaper & photographic archive websites dating back to the early 1800’s where sage one’s before us recorded valuable information.

Whilst I’m a host in a more recently built home such archives have helped improve my knowledge as a Host to share with those interested in family, world history, 23andMe and Heritage.

Have you considered researching your own home and location for it’s history in similar archives to include in your listing and to share with Guests?

Thanks

204 Replies 204
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

It's that magical time of year here in Auckland New Zealand with newborn lambs & calves born at the nearby to my home Cornwall Park.

Like children the animals have cross country races together going under and around obstacle courses which is joyful to watch.

For those not so fortunate to have such a delightful place to nurture your soul, I hope this topic gives you some pleasures in this challenging era of our lives in this world.

Please feel welcome to add your own images of nature in your lives in this topic as we all have different animals & flowers in our different locations.

Take care 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Ann72 

@Colleen253 

@Colleen253 

@Emiel1 

and others, photographs of your living creatures & wildlife please

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Rachel367
Level 6
Espoo, Finland

Beautiful pictures of nature and doggy.

Please check my property

https://airbnb.com/h/nuuksio-nature-poppelstrand-cosyprivatesuite

Stay safe

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks @Rachel367 Zara is my friend's dog, when we are together we are known to go on slightly crazy adventures.

Sweet Heart Rose shape at Parnell Rose Gardens, AucklandSweet Heart Rose shape at Parnell Rose Gardens, Auckland

Floral Swimming Costume, Parnell Rose Gardens, Parnell, AucklandFloral Swimming Costume, Parnell Rose Gardens, Parnell, Auckland

When one is out walking and enjoying the fresh air and nature, do you stop and think, "How do they know?" that nature takes the direction of growth that it does?

The Pink Rose has enterwined itself around the structure in a heart shape which reflects Love./ Sweetheart.

People celebrate weddings and special occasions at the Parnell Rose Gardens Domain here in Auckland as well as simply enjoy it for the tranquil Domain it is.

The second  floral image reminds me of a Swimming Costume shape for women.

Fittingly the Parnell Baths Swimming complex and Judges Bay are both nearby.

Do you have any naturally growing flowers and plants on your property or in your location that are in shapes you never realised before?

Take a look as you may be surprised how clever nature is in the way it grows.

Alas, next time you see a towering tree it may well be shaped in part like that because an animal grazed on it when it was smaller...

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 @Ria16 @Melodie-And-John0 @Quincy @Rachel367 @Anne1 @Anne2 @Anne9 @Rose1@Rose4 @Rose3 @Rose2 @Rose8 @Flower2 @Flower4 @Flower5 @Flower0 @Flower3 @Flower1 @Domaine4 @Domaine1 @Domaine-De-Mai0 @Mair1 @Tri-Woods-Plantation-Far0 

@Tree1 @Tree0 @Trees1 @Trees0 @Floral1 @Floral0 @Floralba0 @Diarte-Floral-Cursos0 @Floral-Hotel-Panalee-Sam0 @Swimming-Pool0 @Judgebir0 

@Natureson0 @Motha-Nature0 @Nature-S-Charm0 @Natureson0 

@Daisy9@Daisy8 @Daisy5 @Stephanie @Lizzie @Elizabet8 @Elizabeth0 @Stephanie2 

@Anna @Catherine-Powell @Francesca @Noriko 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Swedish Flag overlooking Cheltenham Beach, AucklandSwedish Flag overlooking Cheltenham Beach, Auckland

Team Prada CrewTeam Prada Crew

Prada on a practice sailPrada on a practice sail

@Francescalook who we came across on our walk during the week?

None other than Italian Team Prada practicing there sailing for the forthcoming America's Cup on Auckland Harbour.

We were privileged to meet the Meteorologist and Engineer for the Team who lured them inland for a sail pass as we were watching from the same vantage point.

The other photo which includes a photograph of the Swedish Flag is of Cheltenham beach which is alongside North Head

@Lizzie @Quincy @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 @Helen3 @Huma0 @Gordon0 @Mike-And-Helen0 @Liv @Katie @Nick @Ria16 @Laura_R @Laura_C 

We also saw Team England however they didn't seem to be sailing very far when they were coming in to the harbour..

It doesn't matter where in the world we are, there is always a link between us all as we go about our lives.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello WorldHello World

I can see you, can you see my wee eyes?I can see you, can you see my wee eyes?Making myself at home for an overnight stayMaking myself at home for an overnight staySleepingSleeping

On the 2nd of January 2021 I made my grand entrance into the world as an overnight Guest after arriving in my suitcase at Central To All, Home & Location, Remuera, Auckland.

If you look closely you can see where my Crown tuft protected my eyes and face as I progressed through metamorphosis.

Next time you see one of my relations would you please stop and respect us Moths and think twice before you reach for a Spray can full of chemicals.

Us Moths have just as much right to be on the earth as human beings.

We all have our roles to play in 'Nurturing with Nature' to protect our animal and insect and plant worlds.

All the best for 2021

@Rachel367 @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 @Quincy @Ria16 @Melodie-And-John0 @Lizzie @Liv @Katie @Stephanie @Nick @Brian 

@Emilia42 @Dale711 

@Timothy19 @Timothy18 @Timothy16 @Timothee1 @Timothy14 @Timothy15 

@Mothusi0 @Mothese0 @Buttercup0 @Butterfly0 @Butterfly-Creek-Inn-Tryo0 

@Loiret-Nature0 @Motha-Nature0 @Planetocean0 @Planeta-Das0 @Planet-Costa-Dorada0 @Planetyze-Hostel0 @Nepal-Planet-Teks-And-Ex0 @Flower3 @Treasure2 

@Huma0 @Paul1 

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Cool pics @Helen427 🦋  Did you hatch him or did he just cocoon nearby and come to relax at your place? 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Katie, it came into my home somehow and it was by chance I spotted it alongside me as I was here in CC making it's grand entrance into the world...

I've another one awaiting hatching that has been laid inside.

They moths are making up for the lack of Monarch Butterflies that the wasps have been eating as soon as the Monarchs have laid their eggs.

Anyone got any suggestions how to address that issue?
Have tried unsuccessfully to locate a wasp nest.

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Helen427 , I love this thread!!!!   I was born,  raised and live country and often forget that this isnt how the rest of the world lives.   Waking up to 10 different birds at the feeder, deer, coyotes, woodchucks, farms, and neighbors that come from every walk of life, no rich neighborhoods, no wrong side of the track, just rural Upstate NY.  I can't imagine the stresses of living in a city or places where you don't know your neighbor 1/8 mile from your house and the smell of humans overpowers the smell of animal and plant life.   We are  blessed with clean water and great air and no need to stay inside because of a virus.  Just a look out the window this morn reminded me life is good!  Stay well, JR

IMG_0080.jpg

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello From Parnell, AucklandHello From Parnell, Auckland

Thank you @Dale711 @Katie @Rachel367 @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 @Helen350 @Huma0 @Cathie19 @Mike-And-Helen0 @Nick @Melody-and-Beat0 @Melda1 @Melodie-And-John0 @Lizzie @Lizard2 @Lizard1 @Lizard0 @Felizardo0 @Elizardo-T0 @Emilia42 @Bronwyn38@Liv @Stephanie @Sergi @Catherine-Powell @Katie 

@Robin4 @Gecko3 @Gecko2 @SteveGecko0 @Gecko-Guest-House0 and @everyone-else

Hello from Parnell Rose Garden's Festival of Roses, Auckland overlooking Sky Tower in the background where I overcame my fear of reptiles and also had 2 of them crawl up my arm to my neck!!!

May we all overcome our little fears in life and remember that animals probably also fear humans..

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Helen427 

Helen, Ade would be the biggest wimp of all times when it comes to animals, she is scared of birds, mice, mosquitos, flies, cockroaches just about anything that moves.

But she got brave one day, we went to Cleland Wildlife reserve and look where she ended up ......

IMG20170729120441.jpg

And it was for real!

Sometimes that woman amazes me, every now and then she just does something totally out of left field!

Cheers..........Rob