[Festival] When I was a child, I always dreamed of running a hotel!

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

[Festival] When I was a child, I always dreamed of running a hotel!

image1.jpg

Screenshot 2022-08-31 at 08.35.44.pngThis article is part of the Community Center's Festival of Hospitality 2022 . The  original topic was posted in the Brazilian Portuguese-speaking Community Center by @Bianca156, and we have translated it below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, my name is Bianca, I'm Brazilian, I'm 42 years old, and I've been working in hospitality for almost 25 years. For you to understand what hospitality means to me, let me tell you a little bit about my life. When you were a child, someone probably asked you what you wanted to be when you grew up.

I always knew I wanted to work in hotels! I thought it was the best, and every time we went on vacation, I would watch the whole routine, the sounds, the comings and goings of happy people, all the employees in uniform. It was like a dance. But who wanted to be work in hotels more than 25 years ago? In Brazil, there wasn't even a hotel management school, and most hotel professions were not even recognized. So, when my father asked me what I wanted to do after I graduated from high school, I knew that I wanted to travel to another country to study HOSPITALITY.

In 1998, I traveled to England, at a time when there wasn't any Internet, and was brave enough to go a totally different country to follow my passion. From that moment on, my world had no more borders. I returned to Brazil, finished my studies, this time in a hotel management school, and was soon embarking on cruise ships, traveling the world and living my passion. I worked in restaurants and built my career in one company, where I stayed for 13 years. On cruise ships, I learned what hospitality really was. The commitment we made as crew members was to exceed expectations, to anticipate needs, to receive and serve without bias, free of prejudice or discrimination. My personal mission was to be part of special moments in the lives of my guests.

I also learned to get along with everyone in an equal and respectful way, regardless of culture, religion, race, or social class. Working on cruise ships taught me the importance of people's vacation moments. Many people around the world have only a few days of vacation and they want to make the most of them, so we had to have everything covered in that short period of time. I also learned the importance of sharing, as I lived with strangers in a 4 square-meter cabin for months at a time.

Sharing life, space, the ups and down, being far from home with a cabin mate was everything and the closest thing I had to what could be considered family. I believe it was from this experience that I gained a sense of how to welcome guests to my Airbnb. My concern is to make myself available, whether in small gestures or just in sympathy, so that they have a point of support far from their homes and someone they can genuinely count on.

After all the years on cruise ships and a career full of achievements, I reached a point where I felt something was missing, I wanted more, I wanted to manage hotels. I said goodbye to my seafaring life and came back to Brazil to work in hotel management on oil platforms. It was two years of suffering, I was the right person in the wrong place. I was no longer part of the happy moments, but of the suffering of everyone who works long shifts for many days away from everything they love. I needed to experience happiness again and nourish my soul.

It was then that I was able to get back on cruises, it was already 2017 and until then I didn't know Airbnb! It wasn't that widespread in Brazil and my routine, where I didn't have internet most of the time, meant that I didn't get a lot of information and news. It wasn't until mid-2017 that a friend of mine asked me if I knew about this app where you can rent an entire apartment, fully furnished, with no minimum number of nights to stay. I didn't! But that was just what I wanted! On my vacation back in Brazil, I rented an Airbnb and stayed there. That was when I knew it was what I wanted. And the Universe worked together for me to make my dream come true.

I went back to the cruises for one more contract. The intention was to wait a year, build up the funds, request my apartment back from my tenant and set up my little hotel. In less than 3 months, my tenant, without me even asking, handed me back my apartment. I went back to Brazil with the money I had from the contract and set up my apartment according to everything I had learned from the hosts I had studied around the world. While my apartment was being renovated, I watched videos of hosts around the world day and night. Once I opened my Airbnb, I knew exactly what to do.

I became a Superhost in one month. I wanted it so much! I wanted to be like the greats, my goal was to provide in my space what people don't have in a hotel. The coziness, the certainty that my guest find themselves in a place that would be their home away from home. And so, guest by guest, I built my dream of being a hostess.

Today, more than ever, I host friends. From the very beginning of communication with my guest, I try to make myself available, while respecting the guest's limits and without being intrusive. Understanding needs is part of hospitality. It's about being there, without being there. It's the little things, a message, a suggestion of a restaurant that matches the guest's taste.

I've hosted a lot of beautiful stories. I've already organized a wedding proposal. And I welcomed the same couple a year later for the wedding celebration. I hosted a young couple, who later returned with their baby, and I even bought a crib for them. My best friend today was one of my guests and probably one of the most beautiful stories.

Karina moved to Campinas with her husband and, at the time, her 8-year-old son. She needed a place to stay until she found a house and could relocate. For me, it was friendship at first sight. It was one of my first hostings, and Karina's first stay. She invited me to dinner in my own apartment, we drank wine and began a friendship that has now lasted 4 years. Airbnb gave me a guest, who became a sister, and today, I have three great nephews and nieces. After she moved away, she had two more babies and today I spend time with her family as if they were my own. What other business offers this privilege, the spirit, and the friendship that comes with sharing a service?

Me, Karina, her husband Ale, one of my first guests - 4 years later at Lara's birthday, their daughter born in CampinasMe, Karina, her husband Ale, one of my first guests - 4 years later at Lara's birthday, their daughter born in Campinas

From time to time, I check in with my place as a guest and do a self-assessment. I always ask myself what's missing and how could do things differently.

Hospitality is welcoming. My place needs to radiate welcoming. Hospitality is sharing and receiving with affection. For me, being a host was never just about hosting and making money. It's about knowing that the moments my guests spent at my place were memorable for them, and that I was part of those small moments of happiness. To me, that's the spirit of Airbnb. I feel fulfilled and even more so today. Joining the team of Superhost Ambassadors mean being part of a big family of hospitality lovers.

1st Superhost Ambassadors Meeting Latin America - Rio de Janeiro 20221st Superhost Ambassadors Meeting Latin America - Rio de Janeiro 2022

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

12 Replies 12
Rodrigo474
Level 2
Curitiba, Brazil

Parabéns @Bianca156 !! 

Rodrigo Tiepolo

Valeu @Rodrigo474 ! 

Michelle1851
Level 10
Littleton, CO

IMG_7593.jpg patio.jpg

@Sybe Great topic, Actually as a child I always wanted to be a maid in a hotel, I thought that sounded so glamorous, but I may not have fully understood what that meant.After getting my degree, I worked briefly in a luxury hotel. With this job came the benefits at staying in very nice places for very low prices.  I moved on and owned my own business which provided  the opportunity to do many nice trips with my family and kids, this almost always required renting an apartment or staying in Citadines (not sure if they are still around).  When I sold my business, my first road trip introduced my to Airbnb (previously I had always used local agencies). I was blown away, the two that we stayed in were fabulous.  After that trip, I came home and asked my parents if I could rent out there unused apartment in their residence.  This became my first airbnb. While I didn't do it for long, I still have friendships with the renters:). I then went on to purchase my second Airbnb property in the mountains during Covid.  It was so successful, I couldn't keep up.  I convinced my husband to sell the mountain property and buy a property that we would actually use.  We are on our third and final Airbnb property, but we use this one frequently and when we are not, I get to share with others.  I absolutely love hospitality.  My only disappointment with this property is that I don't get to meet any guests other than thru email, some like to communicate and some don't, so its much more distant:(

That's actually a Nice story as well ❤️ @Michelle1851 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks @Bianca156 

Here's an article we can all relate parts of to in Stefan Zweig's , who visited Campinas and Brazil, and wrote a book called Brazil - Land of the future from 1943.

I smiled when I read about your adventures to the UK and no internet and I'm sure you to will smile reading this article that popped up when I used the location Campinas in Papers Past NZ to learn more about your region in Brazil 🙂

Have you read Stefan Zweig's book?

There's great stories about the creation of the Railways, the Swallows - do they still have there own 'hotel' in Campinas? and how Coffee is grown in the region.

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/NEM19430405.2.46

query=Campinas

I use preview which shows parts of the article when searching as it makes it easier to scan articles.

All the best from Auckland, New Zealand where it's much quieter without the Brazilians adding colour and laughter, let's hope they return soon.

@

@Michelle1851 @Rodrigo474 @Sybe 

Hi @Helen427 I am glad you bound with my story. Campinas is an amazing place. Very close to São Paulo. We have about 1.2 million people around here that came from all over Brazil and the world as well. We are known for our universities, specially the UNICAMP which is one of the biggest and most responsible for the majority of medical reacherches in South America. 

The coffee production is not as heavy as it was used to be in the past and railways not not exist in Brazil anymore. Can you believe it!? It is so sad.

It will be lovely to ready the article. Thanks a lot for your lovely message 

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Bianca156,  Wonderful post, you are what true hosting is about....YOU are the hidden gem among the shells and rocks and few gems. You are an inspiration I feel certain to all that you meet as your intentions are not self motivated. That's the key to the best of the best - OTHER CENTERED.....not self centered. Thank you for restoring hope on a few levels my dear.

Blessings, Clara

Wow @Clara116 thanks a lot! I truly wish that I do inspire other hosts. I feel that lately we have been "commercializing Airbnb a lot. The majority of hosts that cross my path on the Ambassador program are only thinking about how much they you make with their listing. I always talk how important is to share with your full heart and money will come. 

Warm wishes to you. Miss the USA. My second home and where I spent most of my life as a crew member. Hope to be able to come back soon. 

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Bianca156 I love you enthusiasm in your life experiences that you have shared. Having to deal with people has to help you with your adventure in Airbnbing even if it is by remote communication. I wish you all the best and I am sure you will make it work for you.

Thanks @Laurelle3 ir sure did!

Warm regards

Bridget130
Level 10
Santa Margherita Ligure, Italy

@Bianca156 molto molto brava , lovely story ......love your attitude .

Bridget

Grazie mille @Bridget130 

❣️