File this under "funny and strange guest experiences"

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

File this under "funny and strange guest experiences"

We have a hanging plant on our porch at our cottage. I watered it over the weekend only to have a little bird fly out of it and hit me in the head. Apparently she built a nest there. 

We had family visiting this past week and I forgot about the bird. My guest at the Airbnb messaged me last night to say she tried to water the plant and discovered the bird. It flew out and grazed the top of her head. Its a finch so we aren't talking a bird that can do damage. Hopefully the guest was amused more than upset! (I can see the review now "host did not warn us about vicious attack bird in the plant on the front porch and we suffered emotional distress"). Guess I need to warn the next folks not to water that plant!

10 Replies 10
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Laura2592 I see a post from you now and think “yay another Laura post, what do we have today? Should be good!” 

Ugh. Do good guests. A mixed blessing. I appreciate the thought, always, but guests who think they are doing you a favor often end up just causing grief. Like ruining laundry by putting in a load for you on the way out, but washing it incorrectly. Or watering your plants when they don’t need it and killing them.

@Colleen253 never a dull moment for sure. 

Watering the plants is always tricky. If its a longer stay or stinking hot out I appreciate it. If its a weekend stay, no need. I need to write something up for our house guide. 

@Laura2592 Oh, you mean the house guide that guests never read or can’t for the life of them follow? 🤣

The plants in danger at my listing are the indoor tropicals. I’ve lost a few to overwatering by thoughtful guests. 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

Put it in the listing as a "feature".

We also have an all natural, environmentally friendly security feature: an amazing superhero Finch that viciously attacks any dubious intruders sneaking in to water our plants. You can feel perfectly safe at our place! 

@Elaine701 lol I think I am going to steal this and put it in the check in message for the next guest. She has stayed with us before and will appreciate it.

Michelle1851
Level 10
Littleton, CO

This raises the question, do you ever ask guests to water.  I leave live plants, but I'm usually there to water a couple times a week,  however this summer people are staying longer.  Would it be appropriate to ask them to water? or should I just hope for the best ?  Maybe a simple note saying " if you could water the plants once or twice it would be appreciated but not expected"   I know as a guest I would be happy to, but I'm not sure how others feel.

@Michelle1851 yeah we struggle with this.

We have plants indoors on the windowsill that need varying amounts of water. Some of them are overwatered by guests and others are very thirsty. We water when we do disinfecting after the cleaners. Most of our stays are short and its not a big deal for us to do.

Its HOT right now and the outdoor plants are struggling a bit. I don't mind if a guest waters them (except for the bird). Most of them don't bother. I really don't know how to navigate asking them or not as different plants need different things. 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Laura2592 

" as different plants need different things".

So why not just let the guest ask the plant.....

https://www.hollyworton.com/how-to-talk-to-plants-communicating-with-plant-spirits/

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Here's the nest in question....

IMG_20210610_191758_437.jpg

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

@Laura2592 

It’s your AirbnbPlus! Your added extra!

Living in the tropics, I’ve had to warn guests about flora and fauna. So, when they go to open up a certain gate on the property, they may see or feel in the dark, a green tree frog. Better to forewarn than scare them senseless.

Another thing that causes angst or a raised eye and ear is a particular bird call at night. Our Bush Stone Curlews have a hair raising call if in the park nearby. At first you think a woman might be crying or wailing, but no, it’s just this innocuously strange camouflaged bird in the bush…

Then there’s the black,  orange footed scrub fowl - but that’s another story! 

Here a sample of the sound of the curlew.  😁

https://youtu.be/RZWHUU41gsk