Fines for violating house rules

John560
Level 1
Chicago, IL

Fines for violating house rules

We have rented to more than 100 different renters and Ana was our worst experience. Ana and her guests broke the glass on two night stands, left cigarette ashes in the house (when smoking was strictly forbidden), and left our home dirtier than any renter we have had in the past three years.  Our vacation rental permit (issued by the City of Palm Springs) limits us to 6 overnight guests and a maximum of 3 cars at any one time.  It also prohibits piling garbage in public view.  These restrictions were on our website, were sent to Ana in advance, and were listed in a brief document she signed when she checked in.  Yet, based upon bedding left on the floor, we estimate Ana had 12-15 guests.  She admitted that she and her guests had 5 cars and piled garbage on the front step of the house well within public view.  Each violation seriously jeopardized our permit.  Ana also checked out 3 hours late, without requesting a check-out extension, or communicating her need.

The Airbnb Resolution Center response?  In order to clarify, the host is able to create the house rules for the accommodation listed in our platform, however, please note that as per our Terms of Service, we are unable to reinforce reimbursement for them. 

WARNING: Airbnb will not allow a home owner to impose fines for violating any house rule. A renter can ignore any rules you set, and Airbnb will not impose any consequences.

John, May 11, 2019

8 Replies 8
Corliss2
Level 9
Calgary, Canada

@John560 

Wow, good to know. Would it make a difference if you had requested a security deposit?

If you can provide photos of items that were damaged, could you ask for compensation? Also, maybe you could request payment for additional cleaning?

I hope that you give this person an honest, factual, and non-emotional review.

Should she leave a less than favourable review for you, you can always reply to it. I would not worry too much about a bad review from her, it will be lot amongst all of your fantastic reviews and comments.

So sorry that this has happened to you. Keep us updated.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@John560  No, Airbnb will not enforce house rules, nor will they apply any security deposit you have for breaking rules, only for proven damages. 

It's very important, for off-site hosts, to have outdoor cameras so you can see who is entering and leaving the accommodation, how many cars are there, whether the guests are creating a neighborhood disturbance, etc, and to be prepared to boot them out ASAP. If you don't live anywhere nearby, you should have a responsible co-host who can do these things if necessary. 

How would you kick guests out if Airbnb does not enforce the house rules? By cancelling and refunding their money?  I have an HOA where I live and today my guests violated several HOA parking rules  not once, but again after I told them to move their cars (the HOA parking rules are stated to guests in advance on my listing, in a message prior to their arrival, and on a sheet at the listing when the guest checks in). Thanks for your input!

Anneli3
Level 2
Tallahassee, FL

@Sarah977  How would you kick guests out if Airbnb does not enforce the house rules? By cancelling and refunding their money?  I have an HOA where I live and today my guests violated several HOA parking rules  not once, but again after I told them to move their cars (the HOA parking rules are stated to guests in advance on my listing, in a message prior to their arrival, and on a sheet at the listing when the guest checks in. Thanks for your input!

Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@John560 I am curious to know the outcome because I have not seen a retaliatory review given by the guest. It seems that either the review was removed or the guest did not write one.

Hopefully you have got back money for damaged items and extra cleaning fees.

J-R-8
Level 2
Baltimore, MD

Hi, I'm interested to see how this worked out. @John560 did you have any more incidents like this one? 

J-R-8
Level 2
Baltimore, MD

You mentioned that you had damage. Did you go through the resolution process? If so, how did it go??

Rhonda320
Level 2
Pasadena, CA

I've discovered the very same issue.  There are no repercussions for guests who violate both host and Airbnb rules, even Airbnb's no party rule.  It's an absolute joke asking the guest to pay for these fines through the resolution center.  I've had two different Airbnb Reps verbally tell me just last week these fines came be recovered through Air Cover.  Either they are very poorly trained or to embarrassed to tell us the ridiculous truth.  No one at Airbnb wants to even discuss or help with this issue.  If they don't discuss it, it doesn't exis.