Any advice from the community re how to get a response from Airbnb? Two weeks ago, a guest accidentally set a fire in our house 😞 We called Airbnb straight away and kept calling. We've called numerous time and we speak to lovely staff on the phone who keep telling us that we've been escalated to the Claims team and that they'll be in contact ASAP. We still haven't heard anything from the Claims team. The damage is extensive. Super frustrating and stressful. Any tips, help, advice would be greatly appreciated!
The guest left a wooden chopping board on the hob and left the hob turned on a low heat. Over the next 36 hours it presumably heated up and eventually ignited. Airbnb's limited communications so far have simply tried to wash their hands and said we are not even eligible for the Host Guarantee because the fire occurred after the booking period! I find that quite outrageous!!! Also also just plain wrong according to their own T's and C's. But we'll see what happens there.
I called the guest on the morning when we found the fire and of course they were shocked to hear what they had caused but they haven't responded to any communications since. As @Mike-And-Jane0 have said get your own insurance. Now that I've read through Airbnb's Host Guarantee's pages of T's and C's that are so full of exclusions and limits that it is unlikely to be of much use unless in very specific cases and you have to document everything. Also there is no appeals process if Airbnb make a decision to suit themselves (a least the insurance industry is regulated) and the process can take 3 months. I don't think anyone should be relying on the Host Guarantee. For a large amount of damage like we have you need professional loss assessors to itemise the damage, basically the entire contents of the house in our case, damaged walls, ceiling, floors, furniture, electrics, plumbing, cleaning costs, restoration costs etc etc etc. Trying to do this through Airbnb would be impossible and take forever...
I'm one of the Community Managers here on the CC. Let me start by saying how sorry I am you are experiencing this. I contacted the CS on your behalf after reading your post and was told they would get back to you very soon as this is already assigned and now flagged due to the urgency of the situation.
I was hoping that they might already have? It would be great to give us an update when you have one.
Talk like a local!