Fire pit

Tara536
Level 2
Wangi Wangi, Australia

Fire pit

Hi I’m new to hosting Airbnb. I’m wondering if it’s sensible to have an outdoor fire pit.

It will be in a safe area ??

14 Replies 14
Beth276
Level 2
Munich, Germany

Guests do love a fire pit, but I got rid of ours because they tempt guests to stay up late, drinking around the fire pit and annoying the neighbors. 

@Tara536  I wouldn't recommend offering an outdoor fire pit without first consulting Fire & Rescue (shout out to Station 485) and your insurance provider(s). 

Guests do enjoy features like these, and it could help attract more bookings, but without a host onsite to supervise, there is a lot that could go wrong that Airbnb may not cover. So you'd have to cover all your bases with safety features and liability, and weigh whether doing so is worth the value the feature adds to your listing. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Tara536  From the map on your listing,  it looks like the neighbors are quite close, so I would say no, that the risk of problems outweighs the potential benefits. 

Brenda328
Level 10
South Dakota, United States

I have a beautiful location in the mountains with a spot that would be perfect for a firepit (and it is in a safe area).  The primary reason I don't have one is that I have a wooded lot and after guests picked up every piece of wood that was laying on the ground, they would then begin breaking branches off my trees to burn in the firepit.

I have two other properties that are in a vacation resort communities and I have firepits on the back concrete patios of both of those homes.  Guests love them and because it is a vacation resort community the majority of the houses nearby are also occupied by guests so usually no complaints.

Just like everything in real estate:  location, location, location!  🙂

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I have one, @Tara536 , but the spot is very remote and there is nothing much guests can burn up other than the odd utensil or mug they drop in, and no one they can bother with late night noise. 

The worst of them will wrap themselves in your blankets to sit by the fire. I can get away with colourfully patched blankets in my rustic setting, but I fear for your beautiful duvets.

In your place, I would say no. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Tara536 we have them and guests do love them. Providing firewood (or not) is a bit of a hassle. Since there is a learning curve with even the basics of hosting I would suggest starting without and adding later if you are so inclined. It's easier to add amenities than to remove them.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Tara536  I recall a host post where the guests had burnt up all the beautiful pieces of carefully chosen driftwood the host had placed artfully around her garden after they ran out of the provided firewood. 

Another host had guests who went to bed without putting out the fire, it started a huge grass fire and the fire dept. had to be called in the middle of the night.

Guests and fire are not a great combination unless you are an on-site host and can monitor the use of the firepit.

@Tara536 What you may think is common sense when using a fire pit (not leaving it burning unattended, not leaving things laying around it as a tripping hazard, not throwing in patio furniture, not dumping a bunch of gas into it) doesn’t mean your guests will have the same knowledge. I continue to be amazed by the lack of thoughtfulness of some guests. I’m in favour of no fire pit. 

@Katrina79  Then there's the city slickers or suburban dwellers whose experience with fire is limited to their propane BarBQ or firing up their bong. They have zero idea of fire safety and will indeed do things like use gasoline or lighter fluid to get the fire going, because they haven't got a clue how to built a fire in a fire pit or a wood stove or fireplace. Or have the sense to put a fire pit out if it gets windy and sparks could ignite a nearby structure.

Ocean50
Level 6
Revesby, Australia

@Tara536 @Sarah977 @Katrina79 @Lisa723 @Lawrene0 

Oh wow! It never cross my mind a fire pit would be that big of a problem. I have a small fire pit left from a previous owner, I will remove it as soon as possible. Thank a lot for the advice guys.

407a49c4-41de-43d9-a5c2-b1d45b087b59.jpg

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

I realize this thread is old, but since it's come up again, a propane "bonfire" can be a nice and safer alternative to an open fire. It's not impossible to make mischief with it, but more difficult than with a traditional fire pit.

Tracy600
Level 2
Wentworth, NH

Last week my guests piled wood on top of my propane fire pit that I had installed for safety.  Over the propane tank.  Another thing to add to the instruction list.  I fortunately smelled wood smoke and looked over to the cabin which is on our property to see what was going on.  

@Tracy600  OMG, there could easily have been an explosion and a 911 call for an ambulance. How fortunate that you were there and aware.

I'm following this thread as I was thinking of adding a fire pit to my property. After reading through the posts, I'm definitely thinking not! What are your thoughts to a fire pit with glass rocks instead to eliminate the whole wood issue? Fire glass provides a decorative way to cover up gas jets. The pit would need to be covered once cooled down to protect from moisture from rain and snow though...

Gail803_0-1666181420057.png