Fire safety and regulation

Nina980
Level 2
Wales, United Kingdom

Fire safety and regulation

Hi everyone,

We live in our 3 storey (at the front) and 4 storey (at the back), 9 (in total) bedroom house.  We are renting out our ground, first and second storeys to airbnb guests at the end of March (so far, 4 bedrooms, sleeping 8 people). After completing lots of updates and renovations, I am suddenly confronted with the question of fire safety. Does anyone know about this for a building of this size?? And in the UK?

As we are accepting paying guests - I see that we are obliged to follow a risk assessment that is subject to the law.

For our guests including on the second floor (our large loft space - not conversion), there is currently only one, main wooden staircase, 2 flights. It may be that first floor guests can escape out of windows from 2 out of 4 bedrooms on the first floor. But for the second, we are simply financially unable to consider sprinkler system or external staircase. Any ideas? I'm thinking trap door with drop ladder from second to first floor. Or fireproofing the top staircase from second to first floor, escape out of the above mentioned 2/4 bedrooms.

ANY advice would be gratefully received.

My first time on here - and my first time hosting.

Nina

3 Replies 3
AnnMarie68
Level 2
Township of Jackson, PA

@Nina980 I am concerned about what is legally needed in the USA for fire safety as well - THANK  YOU!

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @AnnMarie68 To increase visibility and gain some advice from our host, it could be a great idea to start a new conversation asking about this topic. I am leaving the 👉link here for you to do so, in case you decide to take this step.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would get professional advice from someone who understands fire risks.

I'm not sure whether your local fire service offers a paid for service or offers any advice to landlords on their website @Nina980