First 3 star rating across the board! WTH!?!?!

First 3 star rating across the board! WTH!?!?!

I recently received a review from a young Italian couple who were traveling to Yosemite and stayed with me for 1 night. Yes we had a slight language barrier, but I felt we made the best of it. They cooked dinner, did some laundry and were overall very pleasant until I read their review.... All they wrote was "Good" AND gave me a 3 star rating for every category. I know this sounds weird, but I feel like I failed LOL. I know you can't please everyone, but really? 3 stars across the board....I need a minute with this one. I wish our guests' understood the importance of their rating/review.

34 Replies 34
Natasha-and-John0
Level 10
Cornville, AZ

I've been hosting 10 years, it used to crush me to lose super host status, but its too much stress. you can get 30 five star reviews, then some oddball comes and gives you a 1 star and you never recover.

It seems the Superhost review should remove one lowest score instead of averaging the one odd ball in.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Natasha-and-John0 @Theresa125 

A few years ago, Airbnb said that it was working on removing 'outlier' reviews. I, and I am sure other hosts, took this to mean something similar to what @Theresa125 suggests, but no.

In the end, all it meant was that if a guest left high scores, e.g. 5* in the individual categories and then a very low score, e.g. 2* overall, a prompt would appear to ask them if they were sure. While it's better than nothing, I really can't see how many cases this would apply to. It's not uncommon for guests to leave 5* in the categories and then 4* overall (many hosts have complained about that here on the CC), but who really leaves 5* in the categories and then 2* or less overall? I've certainly never experienced it.

Totally agree.  

While I'm glad the system now kicks out a 2 when all the individual categories are a 5, but it should kick out anything less than a 5.   There is no chance for correction on an typo...It should give an " Are you sure? "  confirmation before submission.  

Wende2
Level 10
Church Creek, MD

Hi all.......I've been complaining about location being a star for yrs.  I had a guy book me yrs ago, he was in a golf tournament, turned out it was located an hr away from me.  He gave me 3 stars for location, how is that fair, I'm still at 4.98, after YEARS.!  I've had to tell people to put the addresses in maps, one girl recently wanted to book here, and where she was going is over an hr away.  Said they wanted to drop the dog off before going to the event, never heard back from her, why people can't think to map it first is beyond me.?!