Impact of my first 4 Star review

Answered!
Julie469
Level 2
Salvisa, KY

Impact of my first 4 Star review

Hey there.

I've had quite a few guests and have never had anything less than 5 stars. This last guest left a 4 star, truly because he didn't read the listing (heck, he also parked in front of my garage and blocked me in because he didn't read the manual). He didn't like the price, wasn't pleased that there was just a "small bed" for the second person even though it is clearly stated that the 2nd bed is a twin trundle.

The other bed is a twin as well, so I don't know why he thinks it's so small. He also complained about not being able to watch tv, but again it's in in the listing that there is no cable in the room. His review was all positive, but then gave 4 stars. I've been hearing about hosts getting into trouble because of the star system and I'm trying to figure out what to do about this.

He said all was great publically and then boasts a 4 and private feedback. We are so close to Superhost and I'm afraid this dude ruined it. What do you suggest?

1 Best Answer
Joanna85
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

I have hosted over 142 bookings since February. 

I had Superhost, then I didn't. I am literally one 5 star review away every time since I lost it.

The more you host, the more different sorts of guests you get....the odds are, you're going to get lots of a mix if you host a lot.

You CANNOT get wrapped up in the reivews.  Want to know what's funny---I never have the same thing brought up over and over--it's a gammit of complaits.  I just had a guy complain about the matress..first one in all these bookings...some say it's the best sleep they've ever gotten. So am I gonna go out and buy a $3000 matress--no freaking way.  I will deal with his low rating.

If you are Superhost or not, it makes no difference.  I still get booked.  Customer service treats me the same.  I still get inquiries, I still get people who never look at my listing or even read the reviews.....all I can say is, do your best.  People are goofy.  And honestly, many experienced hosts will tell you the review system is just totally flawed.  Don't fixate over it.

Try to just enjoy hosting or the whole review thing will eat you alive!

View Best Answer in original post

36 Replies 36

We got a 3 star review once from a man from Germany because he thought only my wife was the host. He was upset that there was another man on the premises, even though it was stated in the listing info. After that, we changed the photo to be both of us and the first name to include both. What a creep. I'm surprised it wasn't 1 star. We still achieved and maintained super host. I don't think it will hurt you.

Don't take it to heart. Some people are just difficult to please and some are just plain weird.Just be grateful you don't have to live with them full time. I get a couple of 4 stars a year out of over a hundred bookings,and those guests were just plain difficult. It would have been impossible to please them because they were on power trips. And they are the ones who break your house rules so how is a host to win with the current rating system?

Ian394
Level 2
Dunster, United Kingdom

I have a 4 star review from a guest that thought that the 5 stars was only if there something special like a Jacuzzi or Gym that they were not expecting.

It seems that Airbnb allows a guest  to leave 5 stars for all matrices such as Cleanliness etc and then allow a 4 star overall rating.

This has happened to me twice.  

I have been marked down for my house in Spain being hot in August and not having AC.

If I had had AC it would have been marked in the listing and the price would have been higher.

On guest said that it was great to be in the center of town (as described) and then complained that there were people walking down the street.

It just shows that you cannot please everybody.

However, I have the most problem with people new to Airbnb who think that 4 start is great.

Next year I may only accept experienced guests.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Like @Todd-and-Reese0@Julie469, I once got three stars from a guest (although not so creepy as theirs!) from Belgium who just never gives four and five stars - because those are for luxury hotels. Three stars is as high as she will go at any airbnb, no matter how nice. I wish I had known that I should have rewarded her with a matching three stars - because four and five stars, surely, are for royalty 🙂

But anyway, it should not affect your status. It did not affect mine. 

I think you can still get super host. One 4 star review shouldn't hurt you that bad just keep doing that 5 star work :]

Steve2743
Level 10
Calgary, Canada

It will be quickly buried under a dozen 5 star reviews. I once got a 2 star review from a couple who seemed to love the place, but then checked out after only one night, stating that the suite made them "uncomfortable" (all my reviews at this point were 4 & 5 stars). Some people simply never give 5 star reviews. Others are just never happy, no matter how far you bend over backwards for them. It's just part of the gig. 

Steve
Angela528
Level 1
Edgware, United Kingdom

Ive just had the same and itsreally upsetting isnt it? She gave me 4 star because she said the cleaning wasnt up to Brazilian standards i dont know what that even means. The building is old thats all. The cleaner cleaned the guest room every week and gave new sheets and towels. We even provde dressing robes and disposable slippers and top end toiletries. I felt like saying well you never even cleaned up after yourself when you left but i never. This is the guest who i took on a tour of the area and even carried her shopping! I rent it out on a loss as well so its devasting i dont think im actually cut out fir it anymore

@Angela528, do you mind some advice? Don't respond to reviews, as you did to that last one. Prospective guests see only her nice (they can't see the stars she gave) written review and your defensive response. It can be offputting. If you want to speak with her after the fact about how star ratings work, you can do it privately through the message system, but I don't even do that. No point really. Look around to see whether her suggestion is one you can implement, and if not, just breathe and let it go. 

And if that's not enough advice, :), I am wondering why you rent your listing at a loss. Philanthropy to misers? I like hosting very much, but I would not do it at a loss. I would say raise your price so there is a profit, and if no one books, you will lose less money, becoming richer, and get out of something you say you might not be cut out for, becoming happier. 

@Angela  -Oh, brother. It sounds like you got someone who is used to being pampered and kowtowed to! Interesting she chose to stay in an Airbnb instead of at The Ritz!

I think you should stick with it - you'll know it the next time one of those appears, right? We learn a lot about ourselves and how strong we really are by doing this.

Cathy172
Level 10
Dennis, MA

@Julie469 I was deflated when I got my first 4- star review and annoyed when I saw that she gave me 5 stars in all the categories, plus a nice verbal review. Go figure...

Kati18
Level 7
Vancouver, Canada

@Julie469

Ugh, I know how you feel.  I recently got my first 4 star - everything in the public review said it was a great place and I was a great host.  Then in private he said that he really would have like to have been able to use the kitchen.  Seriously?  My listing clearly states that the kitchen is a no-go for guests AND I messaged him when he booked to confirm that he was aware that there was no kitchen available.  

Otherwise he was a really nice guy and left my space spotless, but it still irks me that I'm getting punished for them not doing their due dilegence when they book a place.

I have plenty of 5 star ratings and I'm sure I'll continue to get them but it's still hurts to get the less than perfect rating.

There's no point to sweat a 4 star review though.  It happens and you aren't going to get slapped on the wrist by Airbnb for just one or two 4 star reviews.  

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Julie469 Just remember that some people never gives 5 star ratings, dont worry about becoming a Superhost as i am sure that you will get better ratings in the future. I am myself a Superhost and i was given 4stars twice since i started hosting on Airbnb and that hasnt stop me from becoming a Superhost, work hard and reach your goal. Good luck!!!

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Julie469 Wait for an unfair 2* review... Then you will know how it feels

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Adam122
Level 2
Hobart, Australia

I don't suggest anything, because there's nothing you can do about it anyway. You can't expect everyone to think rationally and to understand how Airbnb works and to rate your property similarly to how you would rate other people's properties. It takes all kinds, and unfortunately you're going to get a few of those staying from time to time.

I think the Superhost program is reasonable enough that it takes this into account though. If 20% of your guests are weird and under-rate you, you'll still claw back with the 5-star reviews.

I get the same frustration, and I used to take it to heart too. .. Bizarre, fantasy-world people who complain about the location despite being 5 minutes walk from cafes or a minute's drive from centre of town. People disappointed with the value, (which by the way, I notice those that make this complaint are almost always the ones booking during my off-peak discounted rates), I really wonder what they expect for $80/night when the same thing offered in a nearby hotel is $120-130.

And curiously, I've even noticed several times that I get disproportionately "bad" reviews from other fellow Airbnb hosts in my own state. One couple paid peanuts that barely covers my bills and cleaning time, and they were "surprised" that I don't also supply breakfast. I mean... I know that some of you guys have a ridiculous overactive passion for doing this, (which I commend you for), but I would have to think some of you are making a loss on the entire venture because you're happy to PAY to host people 🙂 ... So, to those passionate hosts I'm happy for you to leave free-range eggs and freshly squeezed juice for your delighted guests and only charge them $80/night, but some of us really have a budget to keep, and it's unsettling that I should get a "bad" review for that fact of life.

But, you learn to cop it on the chin, and take comfort in the reviews from guests who really appreciate all that you do.