First Aid Kits

Kevin-s0
Level 10
Minamiashigara, Japan

First Aid Kits

Do you keep a First Aid skit in your listing? If so, do you ever worry that a child will take some of the medicine or an adult guest could have an allergic reaction?

What do you keep in it? We have bandages, headache medicine and medicine for stomach problems .Although Airbnb seems to encourage keeping a First Aid kit, do you think it’s a good idea? If so, what do you have in it?

15 Replies 15
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Kevin-s0,

I rent a double bed room, which isn't suitable for kids, in the house where I live.

The first aid kit just has various bandages, a small scissors and antiseptic cream and wipes. That is, all topical items, nothing that's to be taken internally. I keep a record of the "use by" dates and replace items a month before.

Guests have commented on the kit being a good idea and several have used items from it.

On the one occasion that someone mentioned headache tablets I referred them to the nearby pharmacy as I wouldn't want to be responsible for giving someone I don't know any tablets, even over the counter ones.

Steve.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Kevin-s0 here in Croatia we are obligated to have first aid kit in any short term rental unit. As @Steve143 , we also have bandages, no pills and medicines. We bought our kit in IKEA but also any first aid kit for use in motor vehicles would be fine too.prvapomoc.JPG

Thanks! My wife was concerned. I guess I should have been too. One of the top hotels here gives out pain killers and stomachache medicine. We are in Japan. But I would think that they could get in a heep if trouble were the guests to have an adverse reaction.

Will stick to bandages.

Kevin-s0
Level 10
Minamiashigara, Japan

What does Airbnb recommend you put in a first Aid kit?

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I have an approved boc, think I bought it in COSTCO, do not keep it in the Guest area.

David
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

First Aid kits never include medicines for good reason. It's dangerous as you have said. Not only for children but those who might have an alleric reaction or who could be taking other medicines which are contra-indicated  with the medication you provide.

Take them out straight away .

Andrew157
Level 10
Windermere, United Kingdom

Can I ask that along side your first aid kit hosts provide details of how to get medical help. 

I only have a sketchy idea of how to get help in Ireland and no idea in Japan or elsewhere. 

We list the local pharmacies and the local GP practices. Also the Minor Injuries Unit 10 miles and the full accident and emergency department 25 miles away. Also the emergency access number which is 999 but the European and US numbers also work.  We tell people to take ID and that if they are from outside the UK they may be charged. 

We also point out that locally it is 999 to call mountain rescue. 

This information is in the instructions folder and laminated in the first aid kit. Hopefully it is never used. 

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

Some countries very specifically forbid having medications in first aid kits, for all the reasons others have listed above. I know that here in Canada, it's not allowed to include medications in a first aid kit. I'd stick to the basics like Band-Aids, alcohol wipes and topical cream, as others have said. 

John143
Level 6
Julian, CA

Never include medications or even asprin in a first aid kit.  Just peroxide and an assortment of bandages.  If guest have problems with acid refulx they will bring their own stuff!  Also for other issues that are common with them. 

Maybe put a note in the first aid kit where a local pharmacy or store is with other items.   

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

My nearest Pharmacy is 45 mintes driwe away, I do not have it in the puclic area but do hve a box of things including Asprin etc, I would not give any Asprin etc to minors.

David
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You shouldn't give them to anyone.  They might be like me and have a severe allergic reaction to them.

Or they can be contra-indicated with other drugs they are taking.

This is nothing you can not buy at the local supermarket.

What is the  difference?

David
Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

I have a small one First Aid Kits the basic 

Tylor2
Level 3
Surprise, AZ

I keep a kit in every rental I manage, one gets kept in the linen closet and one in the medicine cabinet. The one in the medicine cabinet has all medications or anything that would need adult supervision and the linen closet one has all the bandages and antibacterial gels. For homes that do not have the space for two I would recommend low dose OTC items

Tylor Pate