First Time Hosting

Alix38
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

First Time Hosting

Hello! 

I am hosting for the first time this weekend!! I had someone book my listing and it says she is from the same city? Should I be concerned at all? She said she is visiting from out of town, but that is not what her ID states. 

Also, she booked my listing when I hadn't even uploaded pictures! I had one not so great picture of the outside. I planned to take pictures this week and upload them. It just seems weird that someone would chose my listing over another with no pictures of the inside. Is this concerning? 

BTW this is my personal home. 

Thanks! 

From this newbie

7 Replies 7
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Hi Alix, Yes this would definitely be a concern to me.

I have a policy, I do not rent to locals, unless they can give me a cast iron reason why they need to use my property instead of their own.

In many instances like this you will find the 'guest' turns out to be the secretary who is having a bit of time on the side with the boss....they are not going to jump state borders to do what they are going to do....and in general, will be more concerned about themselves than your lovely property!

They will not be looking for a home away from home! 

I would get onto Airbnb and explain that you have reason to feel this guest is going to break your house rules and you do not feel comfortable proceeding with the reservation. Don't cancel it yourself, you will be penalised if you do....get Airbnb to cancel it!

This is definitely not a reservation I would proceed with!

Cheers........Rob

Thanks for you advice! I will definitely ask her more questions. Depending on her response I might reach out to airbnb. Thanks!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Alix38  Robin's advice is good, as usual. Bookings from locals have been reported to be red flags for one reason or another. But some may actually be legitimate, such as someone whose home is undergoing renos, or maybe mom is coming to visit and the guest lives in a small apartment with roommates, and wants a quiet, more spacious, place to hang out with mom. The challenge would be in determining why a local guest wants to stay, and trusting that they aren't lying about it.

And sometimes a guest doesn't update their profile. This guest may have lived in your town last year, and moved. I had a guest whose profile said she was from New York City, but when I asked her during her stay what part of New York she lived in, she said, "Oh, I actually live in San Francisco, I moved a year and a half ago, I guess I should update my profile."  So it's not always nefarious.

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Alix38

You've gotten great advice from two very well-respected and knowledgeable hosts! @Sarah977 @Robin4

I too, have experienced what Sarah said. I live in a college town and a guest had created her profile when she went to college here, then moved away but didn't update her profile. She was coming back into town for a wedding.

A local guest with little communication is definitely a bad idea. A message requesting a little more information should help you decide if it's a good or bad idea to continue with the reservation!

And as Robin said, if you are uneasy about this guest, do NOT cancel the rez yourself. Call ABB to have it canceled because you are uncomfortable with the guest.

Happy hosting!

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Hi @Alix38.  As others have advised, don't rent to locals.  And stay away from Instant Booking.  Ask questions, have a pre-approval converstaion with your potential guests.  Find out who is in their group, plans for coming to the area and so on.  Better to be safe than sorry.  You mentioned this is your personal home, so meet your guests at check-in.  And where will you be when guests are in your home?  And don't leave any valuables or personal financial information in the house while guests are there.  Yes, I sound like a mother hen, but that's just me.

My wife and I have experienced this exact thing. Most of the time it is either a group of Greek girls from ASU or U of A. ASU girls have dorms for their houses so they have to rent off campus places for partying on the weekends. The other option is it is someone cheating on their spouse. We have experienced anything and everything you can think of. Feel free to ask us anything! Just ask questions and be prepared. Just remember don’t let guests take advantage of you. It’s your house and you make the rules. Hope it all works out.

Cam and Shannon 

Howard42
Level 5
Hilliard, OH

@Alix38I agree with all that was said above, however I have looked at your listing and your rules may be attracting those types of guests.  You list a check in time as 9am-1pm and a checkout time by 1pm.  Not all travelers are arriving that early in the day and may need to check in much later.  Also, if you allow someone to checkout by 1pm yet have check in at 9am, how would you handle consecutive bookings. 

Just things for you to look at.  Good luck, hosting in your home can be a wonderful experience.