First guest causes damage.

Craig536
Level 2
Hitchcock, TX

First guest causes damage.

Our first guest checked out yesterday.  Right now my wife and I are doing the cleaning.  Our first walkthrough we noticed food debris everywhere.  Even the bathroom.  Fruit loops dried and stuck to the floors and kitchen surfaces.  We found leaves and grass in the refrigerator. Our house sits on top of the garage and we have it converted to a game room and exercise room.  Our owner cabinet is in there as well.  It was locked.  We found the hasp broken and the belongings gone through.  Also we had a new tower fan still in the box set beside the  owner cabinet  They opened the fan and used it without assembling.  It obviously fell because the housing is scratched up.  Not once did we get contacted to ask to use it. Maybe that's presumptuous of me but brand new in the box, I would have asked 

I contacted the renter and calmly told her what we found.  I did not say anything about payment or claim.  She immediately said we found it that way when we got there. 

We decided to let it go until we continued to clean.  

Remember everything in the house is brand new. 

Master bed footboard has a 3 inch chuck taken out of it. 

Broke the kickstand on one of the bikes we provide

Ripped a coat hook off the wall pulling the molly bolt out of the sheet rock

Stains on master mattress- brand new with water proof cover so not sure how that happened

Moved a dart board to a different area and as a result there are now 50 dart holes in my sheetrock

Brand new treadmill now doesn't work

Here's our concern. If we fine a claim, this will be our one and only review.  Which were would assume negative if we file a claim.  

Total in know damage is about$800 not including the mattress. That's repair and or replacement .

The nightly rental was $100 for a weekday and they stayed for 3 nights.

what do we do? 

How would y'all handle it?  TIA

Craig and Maria

15 Replies 15
Craig536
Level 2
Hitchcock, TX

Great response and a great read. Thank you