First impressions: how do you welcome your guests?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

First impressions: how do you welcome your guests?

Welcoming guests.jpg

Hello everyone,

Check-in is a key moment in any guest’s stay and it’s an aspect that everyone likes to do slightly differently. It’s the guest’s first chance to see the accommodation and perhaps meet you as the host, so it’s important to make a good first impression!

How do you welcome your guests? Do you meet them in person and show them around or do you have self check-in to give them more flexibility? Why have you chosen this type of check-in?

I’m looking forward to hearing your experiences!

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

53 Replies 53

@Lizzie: We send a check-in email with pictures of the property entrance and the keycode three (3) days before a guest arrival.

Lyndsey2
Level 10
Stonington, CT

I try to greet our guests in person, except in cases where I would really be adding a lot of inconvenience to their travel plans by trying to fit them into my schedule. On the rare occasion I don't meet them in person, I leave a note and try to find a time to meet them during their stay.  I've noticed that the guests we don't meet in person are more critical in their reviews and less likely to follow the house rules. 

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

I like the keychain too, so investigated the cheaper plastic version through Shapeways, but by the time I was going to buy 4 x plastic ones the cost to Australia blew out to around $AUS54!

(depending on product up to $US hundreds for gold etc. varies plastic, brass, bronze, silver etc.)

BUT seriously, 4 x plastic Airbnb symbols when converted to Australian dollars plus shipping (US$15) 😱😳😳😳 for these near weightless items, meant a total of around $54 Australian dollars. Postage the same whether one or four plastic symbols.

So the downside of this expense is they are pretty, and could be taken by a guest for a souvenir. So that would make this symbol, an expensive option to constantly replace. The price is doable if living in America.

**** Such a shame I can’t “weld” paper clips! ***** 🖇🖇📎📎🔑🔑🗝🗝🗝

However,  a couple of other home made options:

1️⃣ 1. a circular metal dog “name” tag disc. (I would choose red but your choice depending on your theme.

A.       Get it professionally engraved with “AirBNB” one side/ a “phone number” on the other (for found keys). NEVER write a residential ADDRESS on keys chains, for security; unless you have big doorman security.

B.        I have a household engraver, and am considering practising this myself with pencilling the symbol onto it. Will depend on the steady hand...,,

2️⃣ 2. Remember creating your own Airbnb design? Choosing logo colour and icons that matched your personality?  (I created one and laminated it for placing on my letterbox for day time guest arrivals. I remove it after arrival.)

You can downsize your designed icon and print onto heavy card with phone details on the back (no address) and get them laminated; or buy clear key ring cases.

3️⃣ 3. Print a suitable size free downloadable Airbnb image onto paper or card. Write your contact phone number on the reverse side. Laminate or place in a plastic keyring. 

🙌🏼 The keyring needs to be something guests will like, is not heavy, won’t lose, or permanently borrow!

I like this idea

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

@Lizzie. My check in varies depending on the guest, whether Australian or international visitor, but mostly the time of day.

When guests arrive at 1-3am, then the “bare necessities” till they are up and hearing you and taking in the information. Have your folder with info in it and refer to it. Just do the basics..... Cover main rules, no smoking, keys, WiFi, air cons, in case of fire - evacuation, show folder with all house rules and info. Let them know they can contact me or come to the door if they have a query before morning....

Too much information when they are not listening is pure failure!

🙂

Cathie

🤗 takes me a bit lol

Tara134
Level 2
Ames, IA

Hello!

@Lizzie I love to greet my guests when they arrive.   We have a room in our home we rent and since it is in the main living area of our home, I prefer to meet the strangers entering my space.  Most guests do just want to go into the room and shut the door, but we have had a few who like to talk, share their story and learn about our story.  I lead the guests to the room, show the bathroom and inform them about anything not in the room that is available for their use.  Greeting all guests can put a hamper on our weekend schedule, but most people are pretty good about communicating their ETA's.

I do have self-checkin/ lockbox for those returning guests who know the ropes already, but I'm not ready to do that for a first-timer.  

Tara

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I ask what time they will arrive and then I hope they actually arrive when they say, because I am standing out the front. I do this because even if I tell everyone it is the THIRD driveway from the top of the street despite being number 1 a lot of guests go to my neighbour's house, even if that says 1A. This will be extremely annoying for them in the long  (or short) run. So I stand out the front, maybe doing a little weeding. Or I chop wood or sweep or something, running out the front every few minutes to check.

Then I show them how things work (not all is how it appears in my house), let them know I am 5 mins away if they need me and I go home!

I do know that the guests who find me on their own are the ones who will listen to instruction, the ones who insist on going to neighbour's house do not.

Wow, i am very impressed that you go to the lengths to actually wait outside for your guests! How much time do you spend doing this? Do you think it's worth it?

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

It is to protect my neighbours. Very annoying for them. I tell my guests to let me know when they are 5 mins away, most do, not all. So I find jobs, sweep, weed, chop wood.

I use KeyCafe to help with the key exchange. I find this works quite well as the guests can collect the keys at a convenient time and I know where the keys are (it has a small tracking device). Then, I try to be there in person whenever a guest checks in, but irrespective if I'm there or not I make sure that a welcome basket with a few snacks is there to welcome my guests.

Jessica895
Level 2
Lake Worth, FL

I have a Kevo. I actually got it years before hosting. I got the idea from my Nissan not having to have keys out and just touch. It has been amazing for hosting. I email them an invite to my home, their phone becomes the door lock and once they leave I delete the key. It’s so simple and so far everyone loves it. If I have a guest that does not have a smartphone I give them a remote for the lock.one thing I love is if I’m in bed and I can’t remember if I locked the door I can lock it from my phone. $150 at Home Depot 

Karen1176
Level 2
Indianapolis, IN

Being new to Airbnb, I asked my brother, a seasoned guest, what his favorite experiences were. He said one of his favorite places to stay always offered a brandy upon arrival, so I bought some brandy. I live in an historic home with an historic lock on the door, and key blanks for it are no longer made so I can’t replace lost keys. I use a combination lock box that has the key firmly attached to the lid so no one walks away with it, sobafter check-in, guests are free to come and go as they please. (Although I did have one guest remove the key thinking he was supposed to, despite having the situation explained, but that was only ONE of the dumb things he did during his stay.) Because I rent rooms in my home, I like to be there to greet new guests so we can both get comfortable. 

I do provide a light light breakfast to guests. Again at my brothers suggestion, I offer yogurt, granola, fruit, hard boiled eggs, and home made banana nut bread. 

Doug148
Level 2
Hamilton, Canada

I'm curious how other hosts greet their guests before they arrive. I send out a welcome message about 5 days prior to their arrival with all the infomation they will need to enter the place and where to find more information once they arrive. I recently made a reservation as a guest at an AirBnB in Montreal. Two days prior to arrival I realized that I hadn't heard from the host. When I contacted her she said she never contacts the guests but waits for them to contact her. I have a friend that hosts a room in his house and does the same thing. Personally, I like my method better. Try and make it as easy for the guest as possible. I would like to know what other hosts do in this regard?

I do the same.. give my guests directions b4 arrival and contact number for assurance on arrival they dont get lost.. 

@Doug148 wrote:

I'm curious how other hosts greet their guests before they arrive. I send out a welcome message about 5 days prior to their arrival with all the infomation they will need to enter the place and where to find more information once they arrive. I recently made a reservation as a guest at an AirBnB in Montreal. Two days prior to arrival I realized that I hadn't heard from the host. When I contacted her she said she never contacts the guests but waits for them to contact her. I have a friend that hosts a room in his house and does the same thing. Personally, I like my method better. Try and make it as easy for the guest as possible. I would like to know what other hosts do in this regard?

Hi i do the same.  Give my guests information n directions b4 arrival n always i give my contact to assure on arrival to contact me incase they get lost.. our preference is best.. keep with it..cheers!