First impressions: how do you welcome your guests?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

First impressions: how do you welcome your guests?

Welcoming guests.jpg

Hello everyone,

Check-in is a key moment in any guest’s stay and it’s an aspect that everyone likes to do slightly differently. It’s the guest’s first chance to see the accommodation and perhaps meet you as the host, so it’s important to make a good first impression!

How do you welcome your guests? Do you meet them in person and show them around or do you have self check-in to give them more flexibility? Why have you chosen this type of check-in?

I’m looking forward to hearing your experiences!

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

53 Replies 53

The reception is the first real contact with guests. The faces come to life, you are greeted for the first time. They have arrived at my apartment and I welcome them with a smile even if they have had some delay or some unexpected event or the time zone had made them a bit weird.

Finally I can see my guests in the face. I hear their voice and their accent. That’s what i like about hosting. A warm handshake, pronouncing their names, breaks the ice and makes the check-in a meeting between friends.

I tell some news about the building and as we cross the courtyard I show where are the garbage cans, I greet the porter and introduce him to the guests.

Then the visit of the house begins with the hands behind  our back as if we were at the museum. Which areas of the house are accessible and which are not. The house is well illuminated, the manual of the house (which contains all the information about the house and the shops in the district) left in plain view on the table near the welcome basket, something that shows them that I am something more and different than a hotel.

Room after room, I tell them where are towels, pillows, detergents, how the oven and the washing machine work. I show how to light the stove and the fumehood. I communicate them the password for the wi-fi, I show where are the fire extinguisher and the games for the children. If someone asks me what’s the bidet for, I answer: “It’s for washing your feet!”.

I sign the rental agreement for the house and give the guest a copy of it. I register  the documents for the police. I give the guest the keys. I listen to the first requests and I try to answer in a precise manner.

I try to make the guests understand who will take care of them. I include them in my life, respecting their privacy and their habits.

Gwen55
Level 2
South Australia, Australia

Hi Lizzie

We live on site on the ground floor and rent out a 3 bedroom fully self contained apartment on the first floor.  We always meet our guests and orientate them to the apartment and give information about our local area.  We also have an intercom between the floors in case they need a little more help at times.  Guests seem to like the personal approach 

Gwen

Ashka0
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

Cleanliness

Aurora62
Level 7
Groningen, Netherlands

I usually have young couples as guests, and from my own experience of being a guest in a full apartment I do self check-in.

They like being independent and not having to be there at a particular time. I like not having to wait for guests that are late 😉

On few occasions I greet them myself (when I have the feeling that the safe box process is too laborious for older guests).

I greet all my guests.. its a must for me, as i find my guests at ease when you meet them for the first time,  and to be able to allow them a sense of being welcomed, to let them know the kind of host you are.. especially when you know the reviews they've read of you matches the person greeting them..☺.  Always remember itz the 1st impression that will make their stay a memorable one.. that make us the super hosts we are..😎.

Elise125
Level 2
Bozeman, MT

We do  self check-in with a lock block containing a key. Planning to upgrade to the August Smart Lock this week!

Grenell0
Level 2
Somerset Village, Bermuda

I like to greet my guests personally when possible.  There is a nice welcome snack package and bus tickets to get them started. We offer self checkin which the guests seem to like. I only iive 5 minutes away so if anything goes wrong I can be there pretty quickly. There is also a door key if they choose. We tour the apartment together. there is a G Box, so I show them how to operate it and where the WiFi info is located. Tell them how to get aroud the island, then I take them on a tour around the local area, to see where the grocery stores, Pharmacy,restaurants, coffe shop are; since everything is within walking distance, it doesn't take up a lot of time. 

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

I personally welcome my guests anytime after stated check in of 16:00 hours, if they are early that’s not a problem as I’m not at home!

I remind them to take off their shoes and show them their bedroom and private sole use bathroom and ask them if it is up to their expectations and if not, to let me know right away, so I can swiftly address their concerns.

I show them back to the bedroom and show them the wardrobe which has 2 extra pillows for them, the bedside tables with a tray of complimentary water and chocolates for them and the WiFi code.

I help them take in their luggage and then I show them where breakfast is served between the hours of 8:00 am to 8:30 am

I ask them the time they want breakfast and I take their breakfast order for the next morning.

I tell there is no guest key as I keep long hours and they are free to come and go as they please until midnight, after which the door is closed.

I let them know that if there is anything else I can help them with, to let me know and that I will leave them in leave to enjoy their stay in my family home.

Despite all that effort I was stunned to read the following private observations to air bnb from a recent guest.

Missing bedlinen

Missing soap

Missing toilet paper 

Missing pillows

Missing 1 towel

I complained today to air bnb about this list of fibs who advised me not to worry as my 5* review from the guest would not be affected by this feedback.

Worried....I’m furious!