First time users. Lots' and lot's and lot's of first time user's on Airbnb.

Brett3
Level 10
Gold Coast, Australia

First time users. Lots' and lot's and lot's of first time user's on Airbnb.

Hey all,

I am getting A LOT of first time user's and pretty much all of them have no idea. Is 'Government ID' really something that only exist's in Australia? Is doing an online search to find out how to add more ID to an Airbnb account so unheard of? Is finding the property address on the booking itinerary, not done anywhere else or with any other booking platform? Don't all the booking platforms use a huge tile with the words 'BOOK NOW' to make a booking?

I am truely starting to wonder if thinking now falls into the 'too diificult' basket. Should I add instructions on blinking and breathing as well?

25 Replies 25
Rebecca676
Level 4
Sandringham, Australia

Yep! I've found that there are lots of first time users, they don't have a profile picture, don't answer booking questions and the majority of them are quite young. It has prompted me to remove the instant booking on my listing because I'm tired of dealing with these people that obviously just want somewhere to hang out with their partners/tinder hookups and disrespect my property.

Brett3
Level 10
Gold Coast, Australia

Hey @Rebecca676

I remember when Airbnb was pushing REALLY hard for hosts to use 'Instant Book' with rewards of higher position in searches etc. Have you noticed any difference in booking numbers since turning instant book off? I have been thingking about doing the same on all my properties and all the ones I help look after.

Rebecca676
Level 4
Sandringham, Australia

I was really worried about this @Brett3 and yes I've had fewer enquiries but the guests I've had since have been quality guests!! 

@Rebecca676, are you aware that with Instant Book you can prevent first time users from booking? Set your settings to only allow guests with previous reviews.

Hey @Emilia42 yeah I'm aware of this setting, but what's frustrating is that if someone has no profile picture and 1 previous review they still seem to get through!!! 

Only if the review is above a 3.

@Rebecca676,  you can also set your settings that they must have a profile picture. I know you know what is best for your listing/your home. I just love instant booking and have had the opposite experience. Those who 'request to book' or inquire are my annoying guests. They are never verified and the reason they are reaching out to me in the first place (instead of instantly booking) is because they are either trying to get around my house rules or they want me to lower the price. The instant book guests are confident in what they see in the pictures and like the price so they book with no questions asked. I can then use the setting to narrow down who I want to book.

@Brett3 

I don't think it's just Airbnb....... I see and meet plenty of "clueless + lazy" people of all ages, all the time. And I will do whatever necessary in order to avoid these types, whether it's at the office or as a potential guest. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Brett3  lol 😄

"Never, in the history of mankind, people were so incapable to perform the simple life tasks as they are today "

( Quote from " Brain games" a documentary about hanging too much on the internet)

I never thought I will have to tell and show and remind my guests with a big sign, to lock the entrance door with a key when they go out. And this is just one example, I often feel like I work at the kindergarten.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 ,

I have the exact same issue with one of my places. Ironically it's the only one on the ground floor and it's the one where guests leave the door wide open when they go out. (it also happens to be my home which makes it more distressing)

@Brett3 

I am telling them that they have to lock the door EVERY TIME they go through them because we had a burglary recenty. Then they open their eyes in fear and chances are they will remember .... not always but ....  🙂

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Brett3  Can I lighten the mood up a bit mate!

I see in your listing photos the 'Chateau' is still there!!!! Or is that a retro photo?

Ade and I stayed there in 1992 and there was talk they were going to pull it down then!

It has 4 elevators servicing it's 22 odd  floors, and they would have to be the slowest lifts ever created. Everyone who stayed there complained about the wait time for an elevator to come. One morning we eventually got into one and this woman was grizzling about how long she had waited for the lift to come and I turned to her and said...."What are you complaining about, I had a full head of hair when I left my bedroom"!!

Guests definitely are becoming more thoughtless Brett. I have had to fully fit my listing cottage out with measures to counteract guests who leave lights on, the heaters running, the hotplate turned on, have a shower for 40 minutes.

Brett I had this one guy who on his last morning asked if he could cook up a couple of sausages on the barbie so he could eat them cold along the way. I led him to the barbeque, got it going for him and left him to it! that was 8.30am.....at 11.00 that night I came from my mancave and walked down through the barbeque area and as I walked past the barbie it thought, geez, that feels a bit warm! This goose had left the barbeque running....bloody burning our gas bottle for about 14 hours.

I don't know what we do about them Brett, as I said I have idiot-proofed the cottage, I bluetooth the aircon, they only get 80 lts of hot water and the bathroom heater has a pneumatic off/on switch...each push gives 10 minutes of heat and then turns off....You will find them in the stairwells over in the Chateau :-))

What do I tell you....put on automatic door closers....they will probably lock themselves out then.

Dealing with guests....as nice as they are....is one of lifes great challenges  Brett!

Cheers.....Rob

Brett3
Level 10
Gold Coast, Australia

Hey @Robin4,

being honest I think my concern is will I see a gradual decline in my IQ? I am hoping 'clueless' is not contagious or I will be talking to patterned wallpaper in no time.

at Branka & Silvia

I think they don't lock the door because there's more than the booked guests staying! They’ve turned your listing into an open house, if you wonder how they bypass the front door its simple they just ask another flat to open the door and based on the building I own it happens a lot, the front door being open that’s is.