Flexible Cancellation - with Beta Version (10% discount with no-refund

Pam278
Level 2
York, United Kingdom

Flexible Cancellation - with Beta Version (10% discount with no-refund

Hi All,

I am using the flexible cancellation policy as the beta version (10% discount - no refund by cancellation).  I would like to know

1. How guest get to know about this? I.e. at what stage during their search or booking is this 10% discount possibilty made available to them?

2. How do I see if a guest has booke with the beta version cancellation possibility.

I ahve asked Airbnb chat about this, they didn't know the answer so said they would refer it to the expert team and that I would receive an answer within 24 hours.  5 days later I have still had no response, despite reminding them a few times.

Can anybody else who is using this version (or anybody else if they know the answer) help me out here?

Thanks in advance and happy hosting 😉

Pam

11 Replies 11
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Pam278

Very strange Airbnb can not give an answer on such question and "an expert" need to be involved.

I saw screenshots of the booking form on the Internet, displaying the option to let guest choose for this discount: A tickbox with text: make your reservation non-refundable- save xxxx

BTW

It seems you turned this facility off in your listing, as nothing like this is presented in your booking form (?)

Best regards,

Emiel

Pam278
Level 2
York, United Kingdom

Hi Emiel

So you stalked me 😉 ;-), but good to know my turning off worked, I was going to ask a friend to check 😉

I turned it off because  I got so frustrated trying to find out the two questions above, I decided to wait for an answer before I turn it back on again, if I ever do.  They ask you to try a beta version and their staff are not able to answer two pretty easy questions! And you have to chat with them for about an hour, receiving all sorts of irrelevant links on general cancellation policies, despite numerous- yes I know that, but I'm talking about the beta version,  before you actually get them to the stage where they then refer you to an "expert".  I still haven't heard back by the way.  

There should be a line on the booking page where we see the confirmed booking details that says the guest has booked with 10% discount.  Or at least it shoudl be shown in the price calculation.  I don't have the prices for my listing in my head and once they have booked I have no way of seeing the price for that day - so it's all a bit foogy for us hosters.

Not only that, if Airbnb considers a booking can be cancelled anyway because of extenuating circumstances, the money that was guaranteed by the version is gone anyway.  So really, for the hosts not that interesting.

best wishes

Pam

It's not strange that Airbnb can't provide this information, it's deplorable

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Pam278,

I think "the expert" did not know the answer too.....

Next time you have a general question:

- Google it

- Use search function in this community

- Ask the community

If none ot them results in an answer, don't call Airbnb, because then they don't know it either (they will probably follow the same steps.....).

And yes, "extenuating cirumstances"  leaves you still with empty pocket !

Bes regards,

Emiel

I didn't realize I somehow had this 10% thing even turned on...At least I found it out with a booking of only 4 days, at a time that's not in high demand.

Don't know why this site (I think I'm not allowed to mention the name or something like that (I came across somewhere once upon a time)  basically makes owners (who allow for them to even be in business) responsible for "trip insurance" for the renters.  It is Renters who should be responsible for their own affairs....I (we) have enough expenses to keep up with keeping properties up to date and well taken care of, without this added cost.

My solution to this issue is to increase my rates across the board by the 10% discount! 

I think this would be a great idea for everyone.  Let the renters find that the listing price on this site is higher than for the same property on another such as vaca ren (B - 0)....just sayin'!

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

I actually think that this supposed 'expert' doesn't even exist!

HAHA  I dealt with 2 people who couldn't figure out this 10% discount on my booking when I ASKED!

I finally figured it out when I had time to search on the computer (the phone is useless for this).  and found comments on this topic.  then it made sense...I didn't even know I had my cancellation set to the 10% deal.  It's now changed and my prices have just increased...guess by how much...enough to makie up the 10% discount!!!!  TADA...now what have they accomplished, except making more money themselves due to my higher rates!  pretty cleavor of them!

Gabriela870
Level 1
Palo Alto, CA

This is very annoying. I have guests booking with the 10% no-refund and then, when they realized the plans have changed, they are asking me to change the reservation and give them a refund and Airbnb is saying that it is up to me. Why do I have to be the bad cop? These reservations should be final! Why am I taking the 10% hit otherwise?

I hope you told them no...you don't need people who are going to cancel, especially after a discount.

I just discovered I had the discount, don't know how I missed that, but I'm keeping it, and just raising the rates...to make up for it...why do they think we (owners) should be in the traveler insurance business, that already exists and is available to all travelers under the terms of the policy...certainly does not cover changing their mind!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Gabriela870 

As with everything else that Airbnb does, they did their actuarial work on this and came to the conclusion that a 10% discount would attract more guests than it would put off by including a no refund option!

And then just to totally cover themselves they broadened the definition of guest ' Extenuating circumstances'  to the point where, the clause is useless......the guest is going to get his refund, all that has happened is you have taken a big hit on all those 90+% of reservations that run smoothly.

It's a marketing tool  Gabriela! It is just another way to get hosts to lower their prices. Another factor, many hosts like myself host across different platforms and this is designed to have the hosts up front listing fee cheaper on Airbnb than a competitive STR platform! 

Cheers......Rob

So what owners need to do and it helps the more owners that do it...

1) make your comments through their system, objecting to having to pay for a no cancellation policy!

2)Suggest they offer trip insurance to renters, have them foot the bill, as that is appropriate.

3) Up your rates to accommodate for this policy.

4) Open your calendar (in times of high demand) within the time frames of their allowable cancellations.  and get your bookings elsewhere...(the no up front fee is more than made up for by just a few of these 10% bookings if you haven't raised your rates to  make it up!

when renters can get your property on another site, ie, vaca/rent/B/O or such for less because they don't have this "stuff" maybe these "smooth operators" will appreciate those that allow them to be in business in the first place!

Carol6081
Level 2
Biscayne Park, FL

I didn't even realize my policy had changed to this 10% off thing...unfortunately I became aware of it only after a reservation was made...and it was only for 4 days and at a time that was not so busy...but I do not like it.  I'm simply upping my rates to cover this especially during months peak periods.  My rates have been kept lower over the years, but I can't afford these 10% off...I read somewhere you can adjust the % off, l but may be that's only if you offer some kind of discount.  I'm going to look for more renters on my other V - B - O site that I'm also on.  I don't think they play this game with owners.  You set the rules, afterall it's your property.  I think they should offer trip insurance for renters...I'm not and don't want to be in the trip insurance game.

Why do they think owners should discount their rentals anyway?!  NO WAY I am happy about this.

Anyone else?