Foam "egg crate" for sofa bed?

Kristen21
Level 2
Ellicott City, MD

Foam "egg crate" for sofa bed?

I've had a couple guests complain that the mattress on my sofa bed is not comfortable. One suggested a foam egg crate mattress cover. I thought the idea sounds a little gross, since it's being used by numerous people. Is there a good way to make the mattress more comfortable without spending a fortune on a new mattress and one that won't creep guests out?

4 Replies 4
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

How is an egg crate cover any different in grossness than a mattress, which multiple people have slept on?  You still put a fitted sheet OVER the egg crate, so it's not like anyone is actually sleeping on it.  Am I missing something?

I look at it as a giant sponge. I have a mattress cover on my mattress that is washed after so many uses. There are more layers between guests and my mattress that get cleaned. You can't wash a foam pad.

That said, if that's just me, I don't have any problem with providing one. I just don't want to risk offending anyone. I also don't make the bed on the sofa, so it's one other thing the guest has to put on the bed (again, probably not a big deal).

If you provide a foam pad, provide a duvet cover for the pad also.  Put the duvet cover on the pad and tell the guests that they should put the covered pad on the sofa bed, then their sheets etc.  You can wash the duvet cover periodically as you think is needed.

Better would be just to put it under your waterproof mattress protector. The ones I have are very good...nothing penetrates. They are the same ones that are used for people that have allergic reactions to dust mites, but mine have a waterproof coating as well.