Food for thought on pantry items post Covid closure

Don-and-Diana1
Level 2
Applegate, OR

Food for thought on pantry items post Covid closure

Any thoughts on what you provide food wise in the kitchen when opening again after being closed due to Covid STR's?   We are second guessing some of the formerly recommended items to have in the pantry for guests as we ramp up sanitation practices.

Some guests may perceive sharable food, condiments, etc as not sanitary and may not be apt to really want that left after prior guests.   What was once a perk may be a negative to some.   Like...

"Do I really want to use that sugar in the sugar dish when the prior guest may have opened it and sneezed on it!"

Not much of a consideration before but these are new times.

"Food for thought" anyone???

6 Replies 6

@Don-and-Diana1  Practically speaking, I don't think the risk of contracting Covid from condiments is very high, especially compared to the risk involved in dining at a restaurant. But even before the pandemic, there were always people who felt squeamish about using food products that were already opened by strangers. You never really know how that sugar bowl or ketchup bottle might have been tainted by someone with a dirty hobby.

For short stays, you can look for single-use sealed packets of sugar, salt, tea, and coffee, as one might find in a hotel. Guests might also appreciate granola bars, oatmeal sachets, and instant noodles (or whatever single-serving non-perishables are suitable to local interests). 

While some nice bottles of oil and vinegar that can be sanitized on the outside are still useful, I would ditch communal condiments like ketchup and salad dressing. I've seen reviews where guests complain that these things were left in the fridge, as though the host neglected to clean them out.

Don-and-Diana1
Level 2
Applegate, OR

Thanks Andrew, appreciate your comments very much.   Yes, I think we will go to only tamper proof containers or single use items.   Probably scale back to fewer but more impactful items like you mention.   While I know many appreciated we stocked the kitchen fresh between each guest, cleaning and refilling items, your right, things can be accidentally contaminated and it's just not worth the minor risk and especially the possible negative perception a few may have.   Better to keep it simple, impactful with an overall feeling of safety and sanitization throughout for all.  

@Don-and-Diana1, I think you may find people are just carrying on pretty much a usual as they have had over load of been told what to do.

In regards to satchets, be mindful of the waste & where it goes to in the environment.

There's  more awareness of those wasteful practices these days, bar some in the medical manufacturing industries  & Directors of health who don't seem to care about with the huge rise of single use PEP/ PPE when we previously had cotton in house laundered uniforms & stainless still utensils & equipment that was sterilised & reused.

Best to exercise common sense.

All the best

Don-and-Diana1
Level 2
Applegate, OR

Thanks much @Helen427  yes we are very environmentally focused especially as our property is at the doorstep of the majestic Redwoods on a pristine stretch of the Northern Cal coastline.  We take our stewardship of this special place very seriously by practicing sustainability, using organic products and zero single use products in the home.   We will continue that but will find new ways to offer our kitchen perks in a more safe and secure manner.

It's a pleasure @Don-and-Diana1 , an alternative suggestion is to use the glass spice jars to store things like tea leaves, coffee, sugar and the like as they can be washed in hot water very hygienically.

We need to be mindful some people suffer allergies with the smells of chemicals and I'm sure you take into consideration the smells from them to.

The Redwood Trees are an incredible gift we have on those world.

We have a forest of them in Rotorua, amongst others places in New Zealand - there's always a chain between us wherever we are living in the world.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Don-and-Diana1  How about, if you don't want to cut back on what you provide, just using small canning jars which you refill for each guest with things like ketchup, mustard, mayo, etc? That would cut down on single-use packaging, and you could be very clear with your guests that you refill the freshly washed jars fresh for each group of guests, wearing gloves and a mask when you do so.