Food in Air bnb

Answered!

Food in Air bnb

Hey Guys, I just wanted to get everyones opinion on providing food in Air bnbs.

I feel like guest would love to have some food upon arrival but im not sure if they will like the stuff I provide. Im looking to rent out my home but before  I wanted to gauge everyones thoguht on this general subject. If you have had any experince with this in the past  or just have some ideas that would be amazing.

Thanks so much I really appreciate any feed back on this...

Looking forward to this discussion! 

1 Best Answer

Hi @Matthew800 

In my experience guests appreciate a few welcome goodies - I leave a mini hamper with a few goodies -  home-baked cookies or a cake, a bowl of fruit and usually a nice wine in the fridge! I also offer an optional grocery pack (for a small fee) featuring basics - bread, milk etc. 

I've toyed with the idea of offering Airbnb breakfast or dinner too, but I can't make up my mind about this yet! I've been reading a few posts about it, here are a couple I found useful. 

https://www.igms.com/airbnb-breakfast/

https://www.airbnbtips.com/serve-airbnb-meals/

Let me know what you decide to do going forward!

View Best Answer in original post

29 Replies 29
Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

@Matthew847

I do provide some food and clearly state it (go ahead and read my listing).  It’s part of the way I express my hospitality, and many choose my place because of it.  It’s also implied in the name of the platform, so I thought it fitting.

My guests appreciate my self serve options because most have travelled at least 3 hours by car to come relax, and welcome  the choice to enjoy refreshment upon arrival and pause to appreciate the view/setting at thier own pace.  I offer coffee/teas and a simple self serve breakfast as well, or they can go out.

I provide a full kitchen with basic spices, butter, and good avocado oil so they can bring/get thier own supplies and stay on site the whole time if they wish.  I chose avocado oil because it’s healthier, mild, and has the highest temperature tolerance so there’s less chance of my good pans being ruined and less splattering to clean up after so the extra expense has paid for itself.  

Most don’t cook full scale meals, but appreciate the option because we are known for our fresh local ingredients.

I provide a reasonable amount for the number of people booked and so far  there’s been little or no waste.

I chose to offer what I do based on my own hosting style and traveling preferences with the option of meeting special dietary needs arranged beforehand because I understand them personally, and it’s a routine part of my messaging, so it’s not a hardship. My style is simple, healthy, home made, but many hosts do totally prepackaged low cost chips and sodas that speak to another population and last forever if not consumed or taken with by the first guest.

I can do what I enjoy easily because I live on site and do all the cleaning and prep so it’s just part of my routine.  The home made items do add on time, but I do it anyway so I just make/get extra for guests.

Almost 100% of My guests have expressed their appreciation with a minority leaving it untouched, but I just eat it myself if they do, and I’ve found reliably reasonable good quality items I can switch out if the price goes up or availability changes.

In addition...I’ve spent some time trying before I include them as regular items

Realizing everyone has different tastes, experience has taught me cheapest and more expensive aren’t indicative of satisfaction and selecting the store brand doesn’t convey the quality of the rest of my listing.  In sticking to a target budget Ive made some great finds and had fun doing it.

Things I don’t compromise on are...everything lol...and without exception  good coffee and tea selections.  That first sip of the day really sets a mood.  Good half and half or cream, sugar, and honey matters and so does the brewing device.  A good fresh ground Sumatra or even the preground store brand in a can is wasted on a cheap poorly designed drip machine that makes everything taste like weak mud, so try it as if you were the guest before you offer it.

If the items I provide are left opened and unconsumed, that’s just pure waste no one benefits from and so far I’m averaging 99% success with complements.

@Matthew800 

Most of our guests come straight from the airport usually after a 10+hr flight. Since our listing is a single occupancy private room in our home, Henry (and/or I) always greet guests for check in. Regardless of what time they arrive we offer them something to drink - water, juice, soda, coffee, or tea and ask if they would like a snack. We usually have chips or crackers, trail mix and some chocolate. If they seem very hungry or it's meal time, we ask if they want some ramyeon noodles or soup or offer to heat up whatever frozen food (pizza or dumplings or hash browns)  we happen to have. There is a 24hr convenience store in the building next to us where guests can get whatever they need as well. About half take us up on our offer, while the others say all they want to do is shower and sleep. Henry and I don't buy any food or snacks or drinks specifically for guests..... we just share and offer whatever we have on hand 🙂 

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

In my self-catering cottage I leave sunflower oil, olive oil, vinegar, salt & pepper, plus a 'starter' supply of tea, coffee (ground & instant), sugar and milk.  I make it clear in correspondence that I don't supply breakfast goods, and explain where the nearest shops are (with a heavy hint that they shop enroute).  But it's a rural property, far from an airport or station, and 100% of guests arrive by car having spent at least 1 previous night in the UK - if it was a city property with late arrivals coming straight from a station/airport, it would be different.

As a guest I've never minded whether stuff was supplied or not, provided that I knew what would/wouldn't be there.  It's as annoying to buy somethnig and then find it's provided as it is the reverse.  When I was a long term traveller in Asia we carried salt, pepper, olive oil, muesli, coffee, and dried milk anyway.

Lisa1933
Level 2
Washington, DC

We provide coffee, tea, hot chocolate, milk, half and half, San Pelligrino sodas, beer, single-serve wine, granola bars, instant oatmeal, micro popcorn, granola, chocolates and baked goods on weekends. The majority of the guests partake and thank us for it. I have always enjoyed the Airbnb with food and highly recommend it. We may go a bit overboard but do what we would be impressed with. We also provide local menus for delivery.

Shaun69
Level 10
Hurstpierpoint, United Kingdom

@Matthew800  Hi Matthew, the one thing I would consider before deciding if food and drink should be supplied is the availability of such items and when your guests are likely to arrive. For example we have a number of North American guests who come straight from the airport often late at night so they cannot buy food and drink late at night in my village even if they wanted to. Therefore it goes without saying I must provide food and drink for the first night and first breakfast after which the guest can purchase what they need from the local shops. However if my listings were in a big city with 24 hour a day shops just round the corner then my attitude would be different !

Regards Shaun

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Providing basics with a long expiry  (and that you use yourself anyway) will mean no waste, but a big plus for those that want it.

We provide simple options for breakfast, bread and jam, cereal, oatmeal, fruit, coffee and tea. About 60% off our guests eat something. 

Ours is not a commercial kitchen so we provide prepackaged food. The challenge is to provide something at least relatively healthy at a good price. The guests generally appreciate what we have to offer, though our Northern European guests are almost universally contemptuous of American bread!

Our house rules state that we do not allow guests to eat in their rooms. This has been a challenge, as some people realize how much damage they can do to our furniture and sheets, not to mention the vermin that they could attract.  

Tony-And-Una0
Level 10
Belfast, United Kingdom

Hi

We considered providing food etc.

Then we thought, what if someone got listeria, food poisoning - or claimed they had or maybe got it elsewhere but blamed us.

Then what if they had to be flown home etc. I very much doubt Airbnb insurance would cover this and you could end up with huge laibilities.

We leave salt, pepper  spray oil and some herbs.  It's the safest bet.

Tony

Wendy750
Level 2
Taumarunui, New Zealand

I'm new to hosting, but I only have s&p, a few coffee / tea / hot choc sachets, and a small UHT milk in the fridge for my guests.  I list my house as 'self catering' so they have to bring their own food items which works well.  

Hi @Matthew800 

In my experience guests appreciate a few welcome goodies - I leave a mini hamper with a few goodies -  home-baked cookies or a cake, a bowl of fruit and usually a nice wine in the fridge! I also offer an optional grocery pack (for a small fee) featuring basics - bread, milk etc. 

I've toyed with the idea of offering Airbnb breakfast or dinner too, but I can't make up my mind about this yet! I've been reading a few posts about it, here are a couple I found useful. 

https://www.igms.com/airbnb-breakfast/

https://www.airbnbtips.com/serve-airbnb-meals/

Let me know what you decide to do going forward!

Hey Kate,

Thank you so much for the response! Sorry for responding so late. How has the grocery pack worked out for you.

Do people make request for specific groceries and then you pick them up? Or do you just grab the basics?

Also how much do you charge to do this? And lastly how many people have requested the small grocery pack?  

I know its a lot of questions but i'm about to list my place , and I want my guests to have a great experience. Thank you!! 

Hi Matthew,

I just saw your question regarding the grocery pack. I have set up an account for my Airbnb at a local grocery store, that allows guests to order and pay online. I then pick the groceries up and put them into the suite prior to arrival.

We are still testing it out, and only offer it to guests who stay for 3 or more nights. So far it has been OK, but our dilemma is whether or not to charge for it separately or just make it part of the fee.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you are providing this service offer it as an optional extra. @Deborah950 

Here in the UK guests don’t need hosts to get involved in the process in most areas. They can order supermarket food themselves and arrange for it to be there shortly after arrival. 

Hi Helen,

The issue is that no stores  deliver to our area. Picking the groceries up is not a big deal as we are often in the area of the store.

Our original idea was to charge for the service but I'm not sure how to do that as an extra.