Foolproof safe coffee maker?

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Foolproof safe coffee maker?

Coffee Machine.jpg

I would really like to hear your experiences and opinions about what type of coffee maker would you recommend for a whole house unit.

First we had some kind of Keuring-type maker but it is to complicate to use +  k-cup pods are to expensive in our area for our accomodation price + it is not enviromentaly friendly at all. So we removed it .

keurig.jpg

Then we bought Filter coffee maker and paper filters. But, one of the guests left plastic lid on the hot  plate and bend it. Then another guest left the maker turned on with the empty glass pot in it and the pot bursted. So we removed it too.

filter.jpg

We also bought moka coffee pot but we are affraid to give it to our non-Italian guests bc it is not safe to use if you are not familiar with it.  

moka.jpg

We allready have a simple inox kettle and I am thinking to buy a simple filter holder and paper filters, like this:

simplecoffeefilter.jpg

For now we offer instant coffee and milk only . It is not fancy but at least it is foolproof and simple to use 🙂

ness.jpg

There are also 2 caffes near by , we are in the city center, coffee shops are literary on every corner and our guests average stay is just 2-3 days. We are hosting guests from all over the world 

What do you think? What is your experience with coffee makers? Does your guests know how to use it or they often break them? Did you have any safety issues?

26 Replies 26
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great topic @Branka-and-Silvia0. 🙂 

I always love the smell of a cafetiere, but then if it is something you want to leave in the guest room, it might not be the most practical. I have stayed in Airbnbs which have had coffee machines with the capsules which have always been quite clean and handy, but I suppose this is more of an investment.

@Jessica-and-Henry0, I have heard of the pour over drip filters, is the taste quality pretty good with these?

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hello @Lizzie

My experience with these pour over drip filters is that the quality of the coffee is more dependent on the type of beans, grind size, and water temp (rather than individual skill). 

The problem I had with hario or melitta drippers is, depending on whether I got the pour timing and consistency of water right or not, even with the same beans and same grind size, the coffee would taste totally different every day. Also using a drip kettle with the proper spout and getting the spiral motion just right was really important! I switched to a clever dripper because of this and it is also a good option for consistently good drip coffee.

With these new single use pour over drip filters, clean up has become minimal and I especially like that I don't need to rinse out + dry the dripper, no separate kettle is needed, and I can get a fresh cup of consistently above average coffee each time (almost as easily as pouring a cup from the pot) 🙂 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Jessica-and-Henry0, it does sound like there is a bit of an art to handling the hario or melitta drippers. I'm thinking I most likely don't have that art, especially if I am trying to sort out a cup of coffee first thing in the morning (perhaps with my eyes closed!!) 🙂

Great tips though and it is interesting hearing about new things. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

Henry and I really re-defined "splurge" when we bought the melitta 🙂 but we are both really picky coffee drinkers (although we try not to be) and making great coffee available for guests is an added bonus. But we would never leave a machine like this in a guests-only private home setting.

For those who want to go with a drip machine, I'd suggest a one cup drip machine instead of ones with a glass carafe. A lot of newer models also have an auto-shut off function.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008YS1WXE/ref=psdc_2474054011_t2_B00IZUWKTG

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EI7DPS0

@Jessica-and-Henry0 

this a nice one , but the same problem - it doesn't have paper filters so coffee would probably end up in the sink and clog the drain. And they don't mention if it authomaticly turn off.

Paula-and-Gill0
Level 4
New Paltz, NY

Unfortunately, I don't think you can find a "full proof" method in any situation. Accidents will happen to the most careful of guests. We drink coffee in several manners depending on our mood and the coffee. Since we host people from all walks of life we offer every method we could think of. We offer an espresso maker, a french press, a coffee grinder and I pilfered my mother's Mr. Coffee maker from her kitchen. We are also on a tight budget, so, fortunately we had all those devices on hand (minus my mother's coffee maker). We don't like the k-cups either. While they're convenient, they are pricey and not environmentally sound. For our coffee maker we also use a reusable filter instead of paper. However, we share your angst. Our property uses a septic system, thus, only organic matter down the drains. So, we've provided a polite note to guests on our welcome sheet. Regrettably, I have found dental floss floating in the toilet after a guest departed. So, smile broadly, think happy thoughts and keep your fingers crossed.

Steve2743
Level 10
Calgary, Canada

My motto is "If you make something idiot-proof, someone is just going to give birth to a bigger idiot". 

Seriously though, I'm in the same boat. I used to have a french press in the suite for guests, but almost every single person would just pour the coffee grounds down the drain, despite very specific instructions to use the container provided. It resulted in a lot of clogged drains, so I finally removed it, and now I just have instant. I'm still looking for a proper coffee maker myself. It needs to be one that turns off automatically, because people are idiots, but preferably not too expensive. 

That said, if there's a coffee shop near you, perhaps you could approach them about getting a stack of coupons that you could leave for your guests? They get some new business, and the guests get a little extra. 

Steve
Nancy2
Level 6
Sacramento, CA

I've been using for the past 2 + years a Hamilton Beach Pod coffee maker.  I use Melitta pods of Medium roast or Dark roast found on Amazon or my grocery store.  I have this in the carpeted room I rent so I wanted something not messy and easy to use.  I provide the pods, bottled water in the room, coffee cups that they just put under the drip spout.

Description from Amazon:

• Fresh coffee made your way
  • Brews up to a 12 oz. cup
  • One-touch start with auto shutoff
  • Brew basket is dishwasher safe, Instead of messy coffee grounds, it uses affordable and delicious Melitta Coffee Pods.
  • Easy with no mess

It costs less than $20.  I'll admit it doesn't make the absolute best coffee but it is convenient.  There is a Starbucks a quarter of a mile from my home if they want something better.  Most appreciate having something in their room.  Of course, if you are renting out the whole place this might not be the right fit since it's small.  I do know of one host that uses a larger version of it as that's where I got the idea.

Von3
Level 4
Boston, MA

We are new hosts and so far, our guests (from countries all over) seem to gravitate towards the Keurig. Most domestic travelers are aware of how to use it and most overseas visitors only need an initial lesson-- no mishaps thus far so very "idiot-proof." We don't like it because of the environemntal factor and we do have a reuseable pod that they can fill with coffee but so far, no one has tried it. I think the reason the Keurig is most popular is that it is simply the fastest way to get coffee and most guest want to save their time to do other stuff. For the future, we are thinking of having a bin that they can deposit the pods so that we ourselves can break them up to use the grinds for our garden. One day we would also love to just do away with the individual pods and make just the reuseable cup available but for now we have a huge stock (I am a bargain shopper).

In our airbnb, we have a wide option of making coffee to pick from - a small drip coffee maker, a huge coffee maker, pour over coffee, huge percolater, french press, instant coffee- I'm sure I'm missing something else. We haven't paid for any of the gadgets-- we pick them up free on craigslist and refurbish when necessary. Reading the above thread, I think making a whole pot of coffee in the morning is probably the easiest way to go-- guests can just pour themselves a cup in the morning but of course, my standards are that guests should only be drinking freshly made coffee. I think for the hosts that love coffee, this is something we just need to reconcile within overselves-- most guests, whether to an airbnb or hotel, don't care about the quality of the coffee. The expectation of good coffee is reserved for when they visit cafes while out and about.

Which Keurig did you own? We've personally had successful experiences with popular Keurig models, the k475 and K575. These two are top-notch and get the job done very well.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I am also a convert to French Press and also  https://www.amazon.com/Nescafe-Instant-Coffee-Creamer-Packets/dp/B00COIXV6G?th=1 which I first learned about when in China.

Liga2
Level 5
Riga, Latvia

Hello all 🙂

I have been offering my guests Nesspresso Coffee Machine, Senseo, Bialetti but there have been few surprises, because not all guests use my precious coffee machines with care.

I believe the safest and easiest solution is Classic French Press and of course there are many guests loving simple instant coffee.

Good luck with coffee brewing 🙂

Happy & Sunny Regards from Riga/Latvia

Liga