Forgot to eliminate amenity item - should I credit $$ back to guest?

Jean118
Level 4
Atlanta, GA

Forgot to eliminate amenity item - should I credit $$ back to guest?

The layout of my home is such that guests do not have access to washer/dryer, and at one point

I offered complimentary laundry service, and was doing it for them as an extra perk- - I don't anymore,  but forgot to uncheck that amenity in

my listing profile before my current guests checked in - - they (rightfully so) are rather disappointed- -what should I do, offer a credit back to the

guests? IF so, how much??

Jean

9 Replies 9
Jean118
Level 4
Atlanta, GA

They are staying 3 nights, by the way

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Perhaps they make no mention of it, and if they do, you can say that feature is no longer a reality. A ready reason may be a good idea to have in mind, and if necessary should be given in passing, and change the conversation. 😉

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Why should a 3 nights stay want to do washing/laundry ?

But if it's in your listing: provide the service !

Best regards, Emiel

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Jean118 Rather disappointed? The highlight of their stay was your washer on a three night stay? 

I would apologize and direct them to the washateria in town. I might even give you a $5 VISA card if you are super nice about it but doing laundry at a Airbnb listings can’t be a deal breaker.

Good Luck!

’You know it’s hard out here for a Host’

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

^^^ "Rather disappointed? The highlight of their stay was your washer on a three night stay? LOL Rene.

Reminds me of some rigid-type of guests that during the walkthrough immediately noticed that the paddle boat was missing and in an investigatory manner asked about it, I told them the last guests left it untied and surely by now it has drifted to Honduras as I kept walking. I could sense they were out of mental balance, until I added - "I am so glad they did, I hated that thing anyway, it was giving everyone that used it leg cramps". They forgot all about the stupid paddle boat.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Some Asian guests make sure they check the washer is in working order the first thing they come...

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jean118

Clearly they expected to do some washing - otherwise they wouldn;t have asked to use it. You stated it was available, so either let them use it, or, arrange for the laundry to be done for them. You can't expect a good review unless you handle this correctly. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Jean118

I would provide them loundry service if it was in my amenities at the time they booked. Or, if I can't then I would tell them where the nearest self service loundry is and give them tokens for 1 load of washer and dryer and apologize. 

Michelle-and-Ray0
Level 10
Kimberley, Canada

You're obligated to provide it, in my opinion. It was listed as an ammenity when they booked so it's part of what they are paying for. To deny them use would be, in essence, a hidden rate increase. (It will cost them moneyt to go to a launromat that they were not expecting to have to spend, since your listing indicated it would be included.)
When I first started, I didn't charge a cleaning fee because it hadn't ocurred to me to do so until after my first guest left. After that, I implemented it, but I am now obligated to honour the upcoming reservations that were booking without it. I cannot rightfully ask my guests to pay more money. It was my mistake, so I suck it up and get through it. It is never right to ask the guest to pay for YOUR mistake, regardless of what it is.