Forsyth County Georgia Short-Term Rental Ordinance

Bob25
Level 1
Cumming, GA

Forsyth County Georgia Short-Term Rental Ordinance

If you have an Airbnb property in Forsyth County, Georgia, plan to attend the June 7, 2018 Board of Commissioners meeting.  They are voting to shut down Airbnb in our county.

We need to rally support in favor of Airbnb properties and keep this from happening.

Please attend.

14 Replies 14
Stephanie646
Level 2
Buford, GA

I read they are looking to pass a 6 night minimum?  Ouch.  I was considering purchasing a few homes in cumming for short term rental.  No longer.    

Chris1113
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

Thanks Bob. I plan to attend the meeting.

I think the meeting is March 7th, not June. 

Sandra1049
Level 2
Cumming, GA

Thanks Bob,

We will attend the meeting.  Also will join the private FaceBook group you set up.  It may be wise to meet in advance of the June 7 meeting to make sure we are well represented.

Stephanie646
Level 2
Buford, GA

Hi Everyone,

Curious how the hearing went?

Kate418
Level 1
Irvington, VA

The same is happening in Lancaster County VA. Airbnb is being bashed in the local paper. I'm trying to get some fact together to present. How did you calculate economic impact? Other things that worked? Please help!

Thanks

Louise471
Level 1
Cumming, GA

What I hate most is the "big brother" aspect of this type of government.   

I live in a large, nice subdivision in Forsyth County the majority of the homes are large.  I doubt if anyone would want to be here for a weekend or even a week unless it was for family or friend festivities.   It isn't like even one house on each block would be an AirBnb.  

I think this should be left to individual subdivisions, if your house is not in a subdivision then you should be able to do what you want.   Especially those around Lake Lanier, or other recreation areas. 

The argument that "the houses aren't inspected" is hollow.  If a property is not in good shape it gets horrible reviews and doesn't get rented.  There are no signs in front of AirBnB rentals, so they are not advertised, and again that can be handled by a subdivision. 

I am writing all the commissioners to not vote for this ban.  Let us have the freedom to use our properties as we want. 

This all very easily solved with some thoughtful contract provisions. I am a licensed attorney in GA, and litigated against governmental agencies/bodies in metro-Atlanta for 15 years. Please call me if you want to continue to be able to rent for as few as 1 day. 678-230-7450

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Liberals are infecting the country.

Shelley186
Level 1
Alpharetta, GA

I heard there was a group of homeowners fighting this. Do you know anything about it? 770-490-9897

Tadd0
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

What is the name of the private Facebook group?

Carol902
Level 1
Tiger, GA

I have a successful Airbnb in Rabun county.
Our small town in NE GA depends on tourists to survive year round.  The city hates that they can’t regulate property owners who don’t voluntarily get a license to run short term rentals.  So now they’re looking in to passing ordinances to ban Airbnb in the city and placing huge fines on anyone who is reported as running a short term rental. We need some help with how Airbnb is fighting back. 
Homes that have been in disrepair for years are being bought up, fixed up and converted to short term rentals and now our

downtown is thriving!!   We don’t have great hotels at all, so vacation rentals are our strongest resources for vacations here.  
There is now an investor who wants to open a hotel in the now thriving downtown area (because of short term rentals) and I believe is pushing to shut down their competition by banning Airbnb’s. 
HELP!! What can we do to push back!!  We don’t want this to happen or go county wide either!! 
Those homes btw have helped property values and neighborhood climates become better.  (No more low rent crack houses!) 

The hotel motel owners tax is persuading the government officials I’m sure. 
Please send any documents or articles that we could submit to our city council. 
Thanks! 

Kelly817
Level 2
Cumming, GA

What is the private Facebook page? I’m new to this but concerned about the ordinance.

Crystal481
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Hi! Does anyone have an update on this situation? My husband and I just purchased a home in Cumming as our primary residence but we travel a lot and we were hoping to add it to our airbnb portfolio. Any advice would be so greatly appreciated!!