Four star review

Jane563
Level 10
Brighton, United Kingdom

Four star review

I’ve been doing airbnb for five months and have just been given my second four star review by my last guest. She found limescale on the bottom of the shower door and sink overflow, and claims that there was hair on the ensuite floor. She mentioned this in her private feedback. I always do a last minute check before guests arrive and didn’t see any hair but  I’ve now taken care of the small amount of limescale which I agree was there.

Anyway I thought that guests were able to see the star rating left by individual guests along with their comments (my last guest’s public ones are good.) I can only see an aggregate score for my profile. When I checked other hosts’ reviews I see this is the case with them. 

Am I remembering this right that individual guests’ overall rating was shown with their comments? Another host has said to me that he won’t book guests who habitually leave four star reviews, but I don’t know how he is seeing this. 

I’ve also talked with people who have warned me that they never leave five star reviews because nothing can be that perfect. My response has been to ask them if they mind if a host gives them a four because no guest can be that perfect?

4 Replies 4
Robert852
Level 10
Tours, France

There have been many discussions about this and until Airbnb do somethibg about it we must like or lump it

Zoe34
Level 7
Columbia, MO

Yeah, unfortunately the Airbnb standard is 5 stars.  I agree, it's unrealistic.  But like Robert mentioned above, it's not up to us!  Having a guest review you lower because of one hair is absolutely absurd.  How does she think the apartment gets cleaned?  By a person... who has hair!  Jesus.  I think people in general are so hard to please these days and as hosts, we see it with so many guests who enter our home.  Keep up the good work and try not to let your lower reviews get you down (I know, it's hard).

Ward1
Level 3
Woodbridge Township, NJ

It gets worse:  I've had this scenario happen a few times and it drives me CRAZY:  A guest gives me five stars in all categories (cleanliness, communication, accuracy, location, etc. - and these are ony seen by the host - not by the public), but then the guest leaves an 'overall' FOUR STAR rating - and this is the only star rating that is veiwable by the public.  I've asked Airbnb about this and they do not care:  "A guest can feel that all the individual things were five stars, but give an 'overall' four star review."  It's enfuriating!!!!

Rachel1655
Level 3
Somerset, CA

Well now that I’ve had lint on my pillow as reason not to give 5 stars, I too will be no longer giving guests 5 stars when they don’t actually deserve it. I wasn’t being petty but game on now.