Fragrance sensitive & detergent adverse - Clean linen problems?

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

Fragrance sensitive & detergent adverse - Clean linen problems?

I've gotten two comments in private feedback about detergent/softener smell in my bedding* so wanted to check in with the collective host knowledge on this...

I use Arm & hammer detergent and either unscented softener or white vinegar (great for towels!) in the softener dispenser. Infrequently I'll use bleach. The sheets smell clean, not scented to me. Am I behind the times in still using fabric softener and regular detergent, or are people just being really fussy?

Any insight on whether this is about harsh detergents, or scent? Some of the "eco" brands seem fragrance heavy, too.

I have a note in my rules to let me know in advance about any allergies or fragrance sensitivities, but neither of these people gave any warning. Thanks for any advice you can offer!

*I had a wonderful rest full sleep. One tiny thing I noticed was your bed linin had a bit of fabric softener sent to them. I did not mind but someone who is overly sensitive to this might not have liked it. 

**Everything was great, Allison, thank you. I would say that the only suggestion I can make is that we get migraines from chemical smells like fabric softeners and laundry soaps -- so while the smell said fresh, clean bedding, it also can mean a miserable headache for some folks.

131 Replies 131

@James2566  I wouldn't try to cater to serious allergy sufferers, either. People's personal health is their own responsibility. As a home-share host, I'm not going to change my lifestyle or the foods in my kitchen that I eat because some guest might be allergic to something, and as I have a dog and a cat, I state in my listing not to book my listing if someone has pet allergies.

I just try to keep the guest space free of scents because not everyone likes the same scents and I can't stand the smell of dryer sheets, air fresheners and such myself.

Michelle1851
Level 10
Littleton, CO

My family is quite sensitive to smells, not enough to not book a place on smells, we just air it out when we arrive and hide the air fresheners ( we put back before we leave).  In our rental I use only non scented products and eco friendly and we open all the doors and windows while cleaning to air out and let nature in. Even in the mountains in winter,  its possible to air out the place a bit.  My bath products are high quality necessary for the dry air, they have a light scent but are all natural, the scent disappears quickly.  I also have unscented bath products available for the super sensitive.

I forgot to add that fresh flowers are are great natural air freshener.

Please, no scents on linens at all. Clean does not have a smell. I am currently in an Airbnb with such heavily scented sheets and towels, that it is disturbing my bathing and sleep. The scent is extremely strong and sticks to skin. Such a noxious chemical smell of laundry detergent! The hotel industry avoids the use of scents, and so should professional Airbnb hosts. 

Stephen1237
Level 1
Pasadena, CA

Glad to see this conversation.  It seems like the entire professional hospitality industry recognizes the liability of heavy fragrance, yet some AirBnB hosts still believe the detergent (petro-chemical industry) manufacturers propaganda that things "smell clean" if they smell like something.  Strange computation.  If it smells, it means there's still something in the fabric.  I had experience in Springfield MO with host who had heavy fragrance in linens.  Disrupted my sleep.  Washed the top sheet.  Then the bottom sheet and the pad.  The fragrance was so imbedded it would not wash out.  Finally bought a set of sheets and that took care of it.  And I still go there because the accommodations are otherwise perfect for me.  God save us from media propaganda.  

Kimberli8
Level 2
Dallas, TX

@Allison2  As someone who is sensitive to fragrances, a product that says it’s ‘unscented’ is not the same as ‘fragrance free’ as the former could have added fragrance to give the allusion of having a neutral smell while the latter had added zero chemical fragrances, which are the source of the allergic or sensitive reactions.

There is little to no regulation on the fragrance industry regardless if it’s end use. Many fragranced products sold in US are either banned entirely or have a different formula in other countries because many components of fragrance are carcinogenic and/or neurotoxins.

it’s sad because the number of people with sensitives will keep rising and we are a long way away from any government regulations on these giant chemical companies.

What I and many others with sensitivies use is ALL Clear & Free detergent and cleaning vinegar and baking soda in lieu of bleaches and fabric softeners. 
This combo is cheaper and more effective than just about anything out there. And it’s safe for everyone. 
As for dryer sheets- skip them. Even the ones from All Clear & Free. Spend a couple of dollars on some wool dryer balls. They work wonders on static and wrinkles and also help to dry faster. 

Btw, if you see the word ‘parfum’ in an ingredient list, it’s a chemically made fragrance. Always. 

@Kimberli8  While my place is basically scent-free ( I home-share), I don't use vinegar to clean because I cannot stand the smell or taste of it. I use a commercial citrus-smelling cleaner (hard to find natural-based cleansers here and if you do, they are super expensive), but the smell dissipates quite quickly, and as I live in the tropics where my doors and windows are open, it airs out fast. Guest room gets cleaned the day before arrival- I don't do same-day turnovers.

I use a mild detergent intended for baby clothes, and I don't even have a dryer- everything gets hung out to dry in the fresh air and sunshine.  I don't have allergies myself, but the smell of dryer sheets is just revolting to me. I can't believe people actually think it makes their laundry smell nice.

agree! and Sarah, just try not to sniff the vinegar 😅 I can't think of anyone who doesn't react badly to plain white vinegar. I put mine into a squeezey bottle thing rather than pouring it out of the 2l bottle, that reduces the smell and also makes it easier to get it into that skinny spot where you put the final rinse "softener" (front loader). it's not even a smell, it's like a cloud of something that gets up your nose and into your eyes! terrible! But, it's a wonderful, cheap natural product that actually helps remove any residual soap or smells. 

@Gillian166 Appreciate you sharing your tips,  but I'm afraid that wouldn't work for me. I literally hate the smell- it makes me gag. I'm not just talking about white vinegar. I've gone for dinner at friend's homes and have to ask them if they would mind if I took a bowl of salad out for myself when I saw them about to pour the oil and vinegar dressing on the big bowl of salad. They'll say "Oh, but this is really  expensive balsamic vinegar, it's delicious." And I say, "What part of 'I really, really can't stand vinegar' is unclear?"  🙂

The only thing I use vinegar for is to soak my shower heads that get plugged up with the calcium deposits from our hard water. And I have to hold my nose and do it out in the yard- pouring some in a small container and letting the shower heads soak in it for a few hours.

@Sarah977  oh wow, you do have it bad. Can't say I love vinegar that much myself, but it doesn't make me gag. I've never understood the Brit thing of brown vinegar on hot chips, weird! but then again, I eat and love vegemite..... so we each have our cultural quirks! 

I use CLR for the shower head thing, but it also can give one a very strong, sharp eye watering reaction.  

@Gillian166 I did try CLR, but it didn't seem to work any better than the vinegar, and was about 10 times more expensive 🙂

And I remember reading the long list on the back of the CLR container, of everything you weren't supposed to use it on, and thinking, "So what can  I use it on?"

Canadians do that vinegar on chips thing, too, but there's a lot of Brit type stuff in Canada. 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Gillian166 @Sarah977 After moving here 9 years ago, I didn't get the vinegar on chips either the first, second , or fourth time ... it's grown on me over time though.😅 I'm curious, is it vinegar by itself only that's problematic or also in cooking, Sarah? Thinking of salad dressings for example, which can be quite vinegary.

More on point, I've never heard of CLR nor some of the benefits and disadvantages of some of the methods you've all explored. Really interesting discussion!

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines